Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 01:46 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,309,880 times

Advertisements

Why aren't you skeptical enough?

You are quoting the commonly utilized U-3 measurement for unemployment within the U.S.A. The U-6 measurement is a standard commonly utilized by most other industrialized nations like Germany and Japan to gauge whether or not they are fully employing their labor-ready citizens in the workforce. Even China uses a standard similar to the U-6 measurement.

U-6 gives a much more complete and realistic picture.

Alternative Measures of Labor Underutilization for States

Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
Why are you so skeptical?

Georgia's seasonally-adjusted rate dropped from 10.2% to 9.9%. The non-seasonally-adjusted rate dropped from 9.9% to 9.3%. The US seasonally adjusted rate fell 0.4%.

Atlanta's non-seasonally adjusted rate dropped from 9.9% to 9.2%.

They don't do seasonal adjustment for metros, but seasonally-adjusted we're probably looking at a rate very close to 9.9%. Atlanta's numbers are completely consistent with everything everybody else is reporting (which is good; in the past we were significantly worse than what everyone else was reporting).

http://www.dol.state.ga.us/pdf/pr/laborforce.pdf

Last edited by AcidSnake; 12-23-2011 at 02:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2011, 02:43 PM

3,709 posts, read 5,987,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Why aren't you skeptical enough?

You are quoting the commonly utilized U-3 measurement for unemployment within the U.S.A. The U-6 measurement is a standard commonly utilized by most other industrialized nations like Germany and Japan to gauge whether or not they are fully employing their labor-ready citizens in the workforce. Even China uses a standard similar to the U-6 measurement.

U-6 gives a much more complete and realistic picture.

Alternative Measures of Labor Underutilization for States
I'm only using it for comparative purposes--ie, the change in the unemployment rate. I fully recognize it doesn't measure what a lot of people think it measures.

Old 12-23-2011, 03:02 PM

No problems.

But Mathman was making some good points. There's a lot more going on with the unemployment situation in Atlanta than what's being reported by the mainstream media. And my response to you was to simply bolster his points.

Here is my take on a possible factor that may figure into the drop in unemployment from 9.9% in October to 9.2%:

People may be getting more jobs under the U-3 measurement, but in reality many of those jobs may only be part-time; which only increases a sub-component in the U-6 measurement, if those part-time jobs are being taken by adults who actually wanted and were searching aggresively for full-time work.

So grandma will have to defer on her retirement for another 5 to 10 years and 17 year old Johnny, who was counting on that part-time work to save up for his Senior Prom may have to sit it out.

The end result is that the situation hasn't change and that the workforce in Atlanta is still very underutilized.

But I guess I should just think positive.

Some jobs are better than no jobs at all, even if they are just part-time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
I'm only using it for comparative purposes--ie, the change in the unemployment rate. I fully recognize it doesn't measure what a lot of people think it measures.

Last edited by AcidSnake; 12-23-2011 at 03:17 PM..

Old 12-23-2011, 04:29 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
So grandma will have to defer on her retirement for another 5 to 10 years and 17 year old Johnny, who was counting on that part-time work to save up for his Senior Prom may have to sit it out.
Well, is it so bad that folks keep working? Why do they have to be put out to pasture at age 70? One of my best friends just turned 70 the other day and he's still going strong, and doesn't plan on putting in for Social Security until he's at least 75. I have another close friend in her mid 80s who's leading a 6 week seminar in South America. Both of them are making major contributions to society.

Frankly young people ought to be grateful that my generation is still toting its own load. We boomers were brought up to work and it's just in our nature.

If little Johnny wants to sit on his tail and blame his lack of lack of pocket money on his hardworking Grandma, it's not surprising he can't spring for a prom date. Who would want to go out with a fella like that?

Old 12-23-2011, 05:08 PM

1,228 posts, read 2,389,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishap View Post
Did you believe the numbers before the recession? They've been measured the same way since the gov't started tracking stats. They just need a sample of people and can roll it up to national numbers. There's always a margin of error attached. The methodology isn't perfect but at least it's consistent.

I'm not saying the workforce didn't shrink...it definitely did w/ a large number of people that were only marginally attached to the workforce and decided this was the time to exit when it all hit the fan rather than battle it out.

What it does mean for those looking though is there's fewer competitors out there. The workforce will likely grow if the economy does pick up and that would spike the rate. The hope is that some of these people that dropped off the rolls are either being trained in new skills and aren't biding their time on the couch.
I am looking for work, not getting unemployment, and I have never been surveyed. I am surely not the only one overlooked. I have a degree, work experience, and I am applying for entry level and clerical jobs just to get my foot in the door again. I have talked to people, gone to job fairs, done all the things you're supposed to do. I am trying to find a job in midtown so I won't have to spend money on gas, but I have not ruled out jobs futher out. I'm just hoping that 2012 will be a better year, not just for me, but for everyone else having a tough time.

Old 12-26-2011, 06:09 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,021,034 times
Nice

Old 12-27-2011, 08:42 AM

3,709 posts, read 5,987,701 times
Some more good news: Atlanta has had positive industrial real estate absorption to the tune of 6.5 million square feet in Q3 compared to Q1. Despite getting maligned on this board so often, the southside is absolutely leading the way in this sector, with about 4.5 million square feet of absorption. Lower land values, droves of blue-collar workers, the airport, and relatively free-flowing interstates seem to be a good recipe.

http://dsg.colliers.com/document.aspx?report=2048.pdf

Old 12-27-2011, 08:55 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,133,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Well, is it so bad that folks keep working? Why do they have to be put out to pasture at age 70? One of my best friends just turned 70 the other day and he's still going strong, and doesn't plan on putting in for Social Security until he's at least 75. I have another close friend in her mid 80s who's leading a 6 week seminar in South America. Both of them are making major contributions to society.

Frankly young people ought to be grateful that my generation is still toting its own load. We boomers were brought up to work and it's just in our nature.
If it defers SS and medicare...yes.

Quote:
If little Johnny wants to sit on his tail and blame his lack of lack of pocket money on his hardworking Grandma, it's not surprising he can't spring for a prom date. Who would want to go out with a fella like that?
Depends if it is because little Johnny is lazy or there just aren't enough jobs. I've heard recently there are 4 applicants for every job and younger people are having it harder than most. And if the older generation remain in their jobs and the economy doesn't grow fast enough, there won't be much movement up by the generations to open entry-level positions.

Old 12-27-2011, 09:23 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,021,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
If it defers SS and medicare...yes.

Depends if it is because little Johnny is lazy or there just aren't enough jobs. I've heard recently there are 4 applicants for every job and younger people are having it harder than most. And if the older generation remain in their jobs and the economy doesn't grow fast enough, there won't be much movement up by the generations to open entry-level positions.
Plenty of positions are open in the military. Hundreds of jobs are available on south ga picking onions

Old 12-27-2011, 01:00 PM

The military is going to downsize with a vengeance starting next year.

Also, I can't wait for the day that the Georgia Department of Labor starts to tell unemployed 22-year old college-aged liberal arts graduates and/or 45 year old laid-off public education teachers to go pick some onions.

The inevitable worker's revolution that will succed that decision will dwarf any of the small-potato protests launched by the Occupy-movement folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
Plenty of positions are open in the military. Hundreds of jobs are available on south ga picking onions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: