Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2011, 08:27 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,350,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Exactly.

I'm still waiting for these wealthy so-called Christian conservatives who got all these taxcuts from the last U.S. President and from this state to open up their wallets on behalf of charities like the Salvation Army who are struggling to find donations.

Not!!!
The Salvation Army is a church...they do many charitable things but aren't quite like the Red Cross and subject to close scrutiny in how they spend money. You can be a wealthy Christian and not donate to the Salvation Army based on other reasons beyond your philanthropy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 08:28 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,298,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
So you're saying that God, whom is all-powerful, cannot interject on behalf of His creation?

That's odd thinking.
Well, if He can, He should have by now. Just look around. He sucks as a God if He's willing to be hands off in times like these.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:14 AM

165 posts, read 484,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blissfully View Post
No one is shoving religion down your throat. Georgia is in the Bible Belt, sorry transplants! It's on our currency as well I really don't see the big deal.
I'm against the God sticker, and I'm a native, so this is a not a transplant vs native thing.

And yes, the plates would be shoving religion down your throat. Last time I checked a reference to 'God' is religious. And in this case, requiring this reference to 'God' by default while requiring payment for an alternative sticker would qualify of forcing religion on others.

Just because our currency says it, doesn't mean it's correct and we should just blindly continue doing that. And I guarantee we're probably a few years away from a fight on that issue.

Face it right-winged Christians... America is more of a melting pot than you'd like it to be. Welcome to the land of freedom OF religion AND freedom FROM religion of you choose.

Hell, I can't wait until a battle starts regarding major roads such as Peachtree in Buckhead allowing parking in front of the church on Sundays. I bet if a Mosque was there and they worshiped on Sundays folks would throw a fit if they were allowed to park on the street.

We'll make this state a fair and a socially progressive state in due time.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:51 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,368,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I don't consider myself superior, other than I don't try to force my religious beliefs on others. What I say is demonstrably true. Southerners in general are all about god in your face and have a hard time keeping religion a private and personal matter. Some are not in that mold. Sorry if you take offense.

My comments stand. I don't see state legislators in MA trying to force this kind of crap down anyone's throat. Why does this crap always come out of places like GA, MS, SC, AL, etc?
I beg to differ - this anti-Southern bias of yours has reared its ugly head too many times in too many threads for me to feel otherwise. So sorry but yes, I certainly do take major offense.

I have already stated that I am totally against this sticker, and refuse to display it. I also refuse to pay EXTRA for my County sticker.

That being said, I have lived here now for almost 26 years. Not once, not ever has ANYONE ever asked me about church, religion or my feelings regarding anything religious. EVER. So drop the broad-brushed stereotype as if it is so damn common. It may be in Cobb County, I don't know. It certainly is NOT in my part of town.

Last edited by johnatl; 12-28-2011 at 10:20 AM..

Old 12-28-2011, 10:18 AM

165 posts, read 484,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
I beg to differ - this anti-Southern bias of yours has reared its ugly head too many times in too many threads for me to feel otherwise. So sorry but yes, I certainly do take major offense.

I have already stated that I am totally against this sticker, and refuse to display it. I also refuse to pay EXTRA for my County sticker.

That being said, I have lived here now for almost 26 years. Not once, not ever has ANYONE ever asked me about church, religion or my feelings regarding anything religious. EVER. So drop the broad-brushed sterotype as if it is so damn common. It may be in Cobb County, I don't know. It certainly is NOT in my part of town.
I would agree with you that I have never personally had anyone ask about church or religion (except my overly-religious mother lol). I think the "in your face" religious encounters that I see, are not face-to-face, but rather on TV, by lawmakers, the news etc. For example, usually when there is a story on the local news and they talk to a any bystander or witness or victim, they always have to say something like ..."blah blah blah the Lord will see us through" or "yadda yadda yadda GOD..."

You also see it on billboards here...especially from the larger churches where you see a picture of the pastor and his wife advertising their mega church.

I think most religious people assume folks around them are religious as well or would rather avoid confrontation, but would rather take a public opportunity to rub it in your face such as tv, or in this case, a license plate.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:46 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,360,592 times
Reading this thread reminds me of the Sunday alcohol sales thread from a while back. There was one staunch opposer of Sunday alcohol sales whose argument was basically "Christian people don't want Sunday alcohol sales so it shouldn't be allowed".

It did not matter how many people responded saying that someone else buying alcohol on Sundays didn't affect him at all, he thought his belief should be the rule. Actually, I think he said that allowing Sunday alcohol sales was infringing on his rights. Yes...that is the type of thought process going on here.

I think it should be either a free choice for all, or the same fee for all. It shouldn't be free for Christians and cost money for non-Christians.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:53 AM
JPD

Quote:
That being said, I have lived here now for almost 26 years. Not once, not ever has ANYONE ever asked me about church, religion or my feelings regarding anything religious. EVER.
I have. I've been invited to church several times. One of the people who invited me was quite pushy about it. Thankfully, it hasn't happened in a while.

Old 12-28-2011, 11:06 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,368,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I have. I've been invited to church several times. One of the people who invited me was quite pushy about it. Thankfully, it hasn't happened in a while.
I just can't imagine..........what part of town was this in, if you don't mind my asking? Was it in a social setting, work setting, at a bar?

Old 12-28-2011, 11:06 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,101,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blissfully View Post
No one is shoving religion down your throat. Georgia is in the Bible Belt, sorry transplants! It's on our currency as well I really don't see the big deal.
It has nothing to do with transplants. I'm a born and bred Georgian, and I am not putting "In God we Trust" on my car, no way no how. If I believe in God or not, it is no ones business but my own. And in regards to currency there are also other symbols on there that aren't exactly Christian. If you use that line of thinking then I should be able to put a Pyramid with an all seeing eye on my tag too. You may say that is Christian, but I may say that Masonic or even Pagan. The simple fact the "Eye of Providence" aka The Eye of Horus is over a Pyramid would make me lean to the latter. The Egyptians weren't exactly Christians.

Old 12-28-2011, 11:48 AM
JPD

Quote:
I just can't imagine..........what part of town was this in, if you don't mind my asking? Was it in a social setting, work setting, at a bar?
The obnoxious one was a co-worker, approx. 1990, at a long-gone restaurant at North Dekalb Mall.

More commonly, I've gotten the "where do you go to church?" types of questions. Nothing too bad, but I feel like it puts me in a position where, in order to answer honestly, I have to reject something about them, or get into a debate with someone I don't really want to be speaking to about my personal life in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta