Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 06:30 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,131,096 times

Advertisements

I've seen roundabouts in Britain and there are some in the US but until now, I haven't heard of any in the Atlanta area. But Cobb is putting in its second one.

The Marietta Daily Journal - Go with the flow County building roundabouts to improve traffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDJ
Roundabouts are safer and more efficient than traditional intersections, Jordan said, pointing to an Insurance Institute for Highway Safety study that shows they decrease car crashes by 39 percent, with an 89 percent drop in fatal crashes. The report also shows roundabouts reducing traffic delays by 75 percent.
Well, they sound a whole lot better and this might help Atlanta's traffic woes. There are no traffic lights or idling waiting to go. The only problem is not many people know how to use the darn things. Even turning lanes when they first came out confused people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 06:34 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,771,750 times
They scared me when I first had to drive them on Cape Cod - but when you get used to them they are great!

Old 12-29-2011, 07:20 PM

2,218 posts, read 4,370,665 times
We have one in Woodstock. Since I usually approach it from the side road to turn left I am certain that it is only a matter of time before someone on the main road fails to yield to me and smooshes my car.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:20 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,878,501 times
The existing one in Cobb works well, but it's only a single lane, too. I'm not sure how well multi-lane ones would work around metro Atlanta, but the single lane ones do speed up traffic in busier intersections.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:30 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,532,428 times
They do work wonderful for those that have used them.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:31 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,768,125 times
We have had a few threads about them in other places around town. The state DOT is pushing them and they are slowly becoming more common across the states.

They work much better... in certain circumstances. The GA DOT has a few rules for recommending them or not (ie. how much traffic is there... how much traffic is on the cross street... and how much traffic actually turns at the intersection)

For more information... including a full list of where roundabouts exist in Georgia visit: Roundabouts

There is alot of good information there, but you have to spend time finding it.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:42 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,052,659 times
There are a couple of them I think, at least one, back behind Cheshire Bridge Road. I forget what the neighborhood is called, it's not quite Morningside, it's Woodland Hills or something like that.

They are also building one in Duluth right now.

The ones that we seem to have are on much quieter streets, not the big busy ones like they have in Washington.

Old 12-30-2011, 10:01 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,131,096 times
As a pubic service

How roundabouts work - YouTube

Guess roundabouts are good where roads with similar and appreciable amounts of traffic cross.

But they can get complicated to the uninitiated with larger roundabouts.

How to use a roundabout - YouTube

I like the phrase "When used properly, roundabouts reduce the frequency and severity of crashes and can save lives". I would have thought that when used properly, there would be no crashes. So even if used properly, crashes are inevitable?

Old 12-30-2011, 12:29 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,857,747 times
Accidents are inevitable when you drive a car.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:51 PM

668 posts, read 994,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
There are a couple of them I think, at least one, back behind Cheshire Bridge Road. I forget what the neighborhood is called, it's not quite Morningside, it's Woodland Hills or something like that.
There is one in the Morningside/Lenox Park neighborhood on North Springs Road between Piedmont and Morningside Dr. There are also one or two unofficial ones scattered throughout Ansley Park (I say unofficial because they are more like large islands in the middle of several intersecting streets and the city can't seem to make up their mind whether they wanted to keep roundabout-related signage posted there or not, so people do whatever they want).

There are also two within a short span going down North Decatur by Emory - a small one installed about 8 years ago at the intersection with Lullwater Dr, and a larger recently installed one right in front of the Emory campus gate. That intersection has become a lot more navigable since it went in, but I haven't tried it during rush hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta