Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 07:00 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,253,632 times

Advertisements

I work in Vinings. I previously lived in Suwanee, Sandy Springs, and now Smyrna while working in Vinings. Suwanee was way too far. Smyrna is cozy. It doesn't have the whole Prado thing with the expensive restaurants, etc., but you have Umezono, right next to Cumberland Mall, close to a job hub (Vinings/Home Depot/AT&T/etc). You can drive 20 minutes to get to Buckhead/Midtown, whatever.

I've lived in Stone Mountain and I didn't feel safe there. I don't feel any less safe in Smyrna than I do in Sandy Springs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 08:57 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,407,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhtrico1850 View Post
I work in Vinings.

I've lived in Stone Mountain and I didn't feel safe there. I don't feel any less safe in Smyrna than I do in Sandy Springs.
Smyrna has a split personality. There is a part that feels like Vinings and a part that feels like Powder Springs. Stone Mountain took a nosedive, and did so quickly. I think distant Gwinnett County, even Suwanee, is really vapid. And I know Suwanee has turned somewhat affluent. I'll give you that Smyrna is conveniently located and would be ripe for Marta service, but it has always had an "image" issue.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:55 PM

207 posts, read 322,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
That is a quite excellent point. I remember when I was looking for houses, people would say go check out Tucker, or go check out Clarkston. I did. No, thank you! You're right, they are just about as depressing.

This kind of makes me sad. The Perimeter area is really the only 285 suburb to get it right. Unfortunately, it's out of most people's price ranges.

I guess that if you really wanted to break down Atlanta into oversimplified terms, you could make 3 zones:

1) Intown neighborhoods - some nice ones, some not so nice, but the nice ones are pricey
2) 285 neighborhoods - dismal and industrial, but affordable. Perimeter nice, but expensive
3) Outer suburbes - nice and largely affordable, but far away

I guess I just wanted to buy into the Smyrna hype. A lot of people want to say it's an area equal to say a Brookhaven, but it's at least 20 years away from ever being that.
I can't believe people compare Smyrna to Brookhaven. Smyrna is in the same league as Tucker, which puts it in a league above Doraville and a league below Northlake.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:06 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,407,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunwoodyPanhandle View Post
I can't believe people compare Smyrna to Brookhaven. Smyrna is in the same league as Tucker, which puts it in a league above Doraville and a league below Northlake.
Brookhaven hands down - 30319 is a good zip code, and picks up more than just Brookhaven.

I'm probably equal on Northlake/Tucker, with the only distinction being ITP/OTP position. The housing stock and ambiance is similar.

Smyrna is probably on par with Doraville, overall.

Old 03-01-2012, 06:11 AM

148 posts, read 232,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunwoodyPanhandle View Post
I don't think anybody is comparing Smyrna to Brookhaven. Brookhaven is well ITP so it doesn't really make sense. I would compare the older parts of Smyrna to Tucker, but the south part of Smyrna no way. There is no comparison other than being a similar distance to Atlanta.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:08 AM

190 posts, read 319,640 times
I think what people mean when they are comparing Smyrna to Brookhaven is that there is a lot of infill construction in a blighted area. Lots of new housing surrounded by a not so nice area in the hopes that that area will turn around and be desirable. I don't think anyone is saying Smyrna is as nice as Brookhaven is today, but 10-15 years ago, parts of Brookhaven were pretty sketchy...and look at it now. I think most people are just hoping it will turn out like Brookhaven.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:35 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,119,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Hey, isn't Julia Roberts its most famous citizen?

Do they still call the place Smegma?
Parts of it are called Smynings now.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:42 AM

766 posts, read 1,113,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Brookhaven hands down - 30319 is a good zip code, and picks up more than just Brookhaven.

I'm probably equal on Northlake/Tucker, with the only distinction being ITP/OTP position. The housing stock and ambiance is similar.

Smyrna is probably on par with Doraville, overall.
These comments are totally ridiculous! Have you guys not seen the expensive neighborhoods which Smyrna has on Atlanta Rd. as well as Vinings Glen on Ridge Rd. Also, the developments along Cooper Lake Rd. west of S. Cobb Dr. and how can we forget the massive Vinings Estates further out Cooper Lake which is still in the Smyrna city limits.

Also, drive through the older Forest Hills neighborhood (the Collier Dr. area) which has had numerous tear down and rebuilds as well as major renovations because the community is ideal with its large lots and tall hardwood trees and of course quick access to Vinings and Buckhead.

Northlake, on the other hand makes me think I am stuck in 1974 as the overwhelming majority of the housing stock there was built before that time, much of it in the 1960's (i.e. I don't think you'll find too many granite counter tops in those kitchens!). To give a good barometer of the economic strength of the area, look at the mals - I don't see a Cheesecake Factory or Maggianos at Northlak Mall like you see at Cumberland. Also, I don't see expensive private schools in Northlake/Tucker like Whitefield Academy and St. Benedicts which are both in the Smyrna area.

People forget that the south and southwest parts of Smyrna are to a great extent an overflow of Vinings so there is a newer stock of expensive homes with many families sending their kids to private schools. You definitely get that vibe in the parking lot of the Home Depot on Cumberland Pkwy. The Best Publix and Krogers are in the Smyrna/Vinings area (as I mentioned in my earlier post). Northlake has a totally different vibe. You'll see very few private school stickers on cars there and there aren't any homes worth more than $750K which there actually are in the Smyrna City limits.

Sure, if the only thing I judged Smyrna on is the aging apartment complexes along Spring Rd. and S. Cobb Dr., I could see how there could be a Doraville comparison. However, those apartments are sitting on valuable land and will someday be razed for better development and the City of Smyrna has actaully bought some old apartment complexes to have them bulldozed for better uses.

If Smyrna is so awful, why are the #1 and #3 Publix stores in its area and why is Publix planning on putting in a Greewise store which will compete with Whole Foods (at Atlanta Rd. at Spring Rd.) and why did Kroger just put in a 90,000 square ft. store on S. Cobb Dr. These two companies wouldn't be investing in an area which they thought was on the skids. As they say, "Money talks."

Old 03-01-2012, 09:00 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,149,591 times
Smyrna is improving and it's unfortunate that the recession stalled so much. I would think that the Publix by the Village would be done by now, as would have Belmont Hills...

Old 03-01-2012, 11:53 AM

194 posts, read 317,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Smyrna is improving and it's unfortunate that the recession stalled so much. I would think that the Publix by the Village would be done by now, as would have Belmont Hills...
I honestly think that these two projects will push smyrna foward and will spark future re-developements in areas such as the north atlanta road corridor and the spring road corridor. Two areas that could use a lift.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta