Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2012, 02:22 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,709,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
You still not getting it. What you saying is call Density That's all your stating it's well known the Detroit area is denser. Props to Detroit I wish Atlanta was denser. No one is even debating that. But understand it mean nothing. If you want to say Detroit is bigger because of density than find Detroit is bigger by density but that don't say much. If the area is not acting like it's part of the metro then it's not. It is what it is, cities can grow upwards and outwards. Just like a city pop can decline the metro can shrink, yes you can lose a county. There no pity for that, that means a region is not acting like a region should no more. The unity is going away. There less holding the region together.

Again I have nothing against Detroit "Other then that Detroit is call D Town in which what I Identity as Dallas" But Detroit historical architecture is Bananas, and I wish Detroit roared like did in it's glory days. But it's a Dead Horse debating this, Atlanta is the larger fully united region by population.
Nobody calls Detroit "D Town". Detroit is known by Detroiters as "The D". Dallas calls it'self the "Big D".

The commuting area of Atlanta is larger. People do not commute to Detroit because the vast majority of jobs moved to the suburbs long ago which means that there is no need to commute to Detroit....but the people are still there just like they are there 40 and 50 miles outside of Atlanta....and MORE of them.

All that having been said, we live in an era of an artificial economy. We have a phony economy in America, one built upon debt, ponzi schemes and printing money. America was at its appex when Detroit was at its appex. The cities that boomed during the phony economy years are just "fluff" cities. They are areas that boomed from ponzi schemes, massive debt and growth. I do not consider modern boom towns to be "great cities" because they were built off a foundation of sand. The truly GREAT American cities are the cities that built this nation from REAL economics and created the worlds largest net exporter economy and largest net creditor...... and not the worlds largest debtor nation running the largest net trade deficit in the word....type economy, which exists today under the rise of these new boom towns. This is why the Detroit area forshadows Americas future.....because when the truly great areas decline.....America will decline in turn.....regardless of the "fluff" cities. It has never been said that when Atlanta sneezes.....America catches a cold.....and it never will be said about the area.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 03-05-2012 at 02:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 02:28 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
And the KNIGHT FRANK GLOBAL CITIES INDEX that measures economic activity, political power, quality of life, and knowledge and influence lists for the US.
I have my reservations about a lot of these surveys. Once you get outside the region there will always be people in big cities who think all Atlantans drink Coke, live in white columned mansions and drive everywhere they go.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:35 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I have my reservations about a lot of these surveys. Once you get outside the region there will always be people in big cities who think all Atlantans drink Coke, live in white columned mansions and drive everywhere they go.
Well, Pepsi doesn't exactly have a strong presence in the restaurants here.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:48 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:
That site knocks Atlanta out...barely.

Alpha++ New York
Alpha+ Chicago
Alpha Los Angeles, San Francisco, DC
Alpha- Atlanta, Boston, Dallas, Miami, Philadelphia
Beta+ Houston
Beta Minneapolis, Seattle
Beta- Cleveland, Denver, Detroit, San Diego, St Louis
Yes, barely--it shows, however, that Atlanta can argue for the #5 spot.

Thanks for taking the time to write it out for everyone to see...!

Old 03-05-2012, 03:37 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,135,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Yes, barely--it shows, however, that Atlanta can argue for the #5 spot.

Thanks for taking the time to write it out for everyone to see...!
Well, no, it shows Atlanta as no better than #6

1. NYC
2. Chicago
3,4,5. LA, San Francisco, DC

but the numerical ranking indicates that Boston has the #6 spot. So Atlanta is possibly #7 and even then, Miami is showing some strength.

But then again, this is more international standing rather than national.

Old 03-05-2012, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I think they took the measurements seriously. It wasn't an opinion poll. Even then taking real world results and translating them into numbers can be subjective. They might have used New York and London to normalize the data. In other words, if New York and London ain't on top, then they conclude there is a problem with their methodology. The same can be said of US News' college rankings as it ensures that Harvard, Yale, and Princeton are in the top 3.

Last edited by MathmanMathman; 03-05-2012 at 04:14 PM..

Old 03-05-2012, 04:12 PM

Ok, found the complete global cities index

33. Miami
38 Houston
40. Atlanta

Global Cities 2010: The Rankings | Foreign Policy

So Atlanta is easily top 10 among US cities but not likely top 5.

Old 03-05-2012, 04:48 PM

207 posts, read 322,157 times
Quote:
Ok, found the complete global cities index

33. Miami
38 Houston
40. Atlanta

Global Cities 2010: The Rankings | Foreign Policy

So Atlanta is easily top 10 among US cities but not likely top 5.
Exactly. It's a top ten city. Claiming it's a top five city is irrational.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Well, no, it shows Atlanta as no better than #6

1. NYC
2. Chicago
3,4,5. LA, San Francisco, DC

but the numerical ranking indicates that Boston has the #6 spot. So Atlanta is possibly #7 and even then, Miami is showing some strength.

But then again, this is more international standing rather than national.
Yes, Brother Math, it shows that it is #6. My point is that Atlanta can argue that it is #5. And, my good brother, it really is.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunwoodyPanhandle View Post
Exactly. It's a top ten city. Claiming it's a top five city is irrational.
No. Atlanta is #5.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta