Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2012, 02:21 PM

8 posts, read 10,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Atlanta is the most self important area in America....thats for sure. In all honesty....the only thing I think of when I think of Atlanta is rappers. That might be my own ignorance.....but its what stands out to me.

Troll alert.

We are self important somehow yet, he comes to OUR forum? Quit Watching BET if you think Atlanta is overhyped. That may be your problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 02:32 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,711,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAsmith12 View Post
Troll alert.

We are self important somehow yet, he comes to OUR forum? Quit Watching BET if you think Atlanta is overhyped. That may be your problem.
I am hardly a troll. I guess you are playing the "troll card" when you don't like what a person has to offer. I have attempted to engage the intellect of forum participants. If you think that is trolling.....it's because you do not like intellectual stimulation.

FYI....I have not watched BET in YEARS....not since they got ride of the NEWS.

Old 03-08-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAsmith12 View Post
Jeeze dude, are you done? Get a life and enjoy whatever city you live in.
I am having a discussion with CHIATLDAL. Feel free to not chime in at anytime. Excuse me for talking while you were interrupting.

Old 03-08-2012, 02:37 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,370,188 times
Quote:
Well....I would hope so considering that the Detroit area has been in an economic depression for the last decade and had lost over a half a million jobs.
I would call it more of an economic freefall, but whatever.

Quote:
If you have read through mutliple pages of this and do not know what my point is.....then you either do not want to know or are not intelligent enough to know.
Wow, insults in your second sentence? And it's the Atlanta forumers that are extremely touchy? LOL!!!!!

Quote:
When I first started commenting on this I used the example of Unemployment rates as an anology. The government says that the unemployment rate is 8.3% for the nation. The FACTS are that it is really higher than that, but the FORMULA used to count the unemployed leaves out many people who are unemployed. In other words, the way the government chooses to count the unemployed has holes in it and those holes mask the truth. Who would take offense to learning the truth and speaking the truth but those who have a vested interest in half truths? Why do people take offense when I point out the holes in how the government officially counts people for MSA populations? Just because the government defines something a certain way does not mean that its accurate. All I have done is point out that when one ignores commuting patterns and such that it creates a different count for areas. I am sorry that ticks so many of you off but its just the truth. Go have a Coke and chill.
Uncomprehensible blathering, and I am hardly ticked off. Amused is much more accurate.

Quote:
Atlanta is the most self important area in America....thats for sure. In all honesty....the only thing I think of when I think of Atlanta is rappers. That might be my own ignorance.....but its what stands out to me.
Wrong. Atlanta is the most PICKED ON area in America, on this and other forums I know you are familiar with. HUGE, HUGE difference.

I know the only things I think of when I think of Detroit is Motown, urban decay, corrupt mayors and economic depression.

Old 03-08-2012, 02:43 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,106,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
And? I've just read through multiple pages of this, and still have no idea what your point is. I tend to agree with others here that say you are hell-bent on "teaching them a lesson" for some ridiculous reason - but we are used to it, sadly.

Oh - and just so you know, Atlanta is leagues above Detroit in every possible way, with the exception of automobile manufacturing. Period.
Yup, I been hit with these

Because I keep receiving density stats,
Ignoratio elenchi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

All facts and stats don't matter so I guess truth doesn't exist.
Philosophic burden of proof - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Stll get density stats....
Proof by assertion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The irrelevant density stats seem to be repeated as relevant and an as a answers.
Circular reasoning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

All answers that defeat the premise are ignored, then repeated
Ad nauseam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

One something is establish a few posts later I have to repeated. "Volume is space, you not asking what per sq mi, but your asking what in 50 sq mi. which is still a set area which means when the population is counted your getting the density of 50 sq mi. "

Old 03-08-2012, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Yup, I been hit with these

Because I keep receiving density stats,
Ignoratio elenchi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

All facts and stats don't matter so I guess truth doesn't exist.
Philosophic burden of proof - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Stll get density stats....
Proof by assertion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The irrelevant density stats seem to be repeated as relevant and an as a answers.
Circular reasoning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

All answers that defeat the premise are ignored, then repeated
Ad nauseam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

One something is establish a few posts later I have to repeated. "Volume is space, you not asking what per sq mi, but your asking what in 50 sq mi. which is still a set area which means when the population is counted your getting the density of 50 sq mi. "
No......what I have said is that you can USE ANY MILE RADIUS!!! I am not arguing density because I am not saying one can only use a given radius to get a higher Detoit population count. What I have said is that regardless of the mile radius used.....that Detroit has more people. I did not say that one HAS to use a specific radius.

The Detroit area was indeed in free fall and depression. The Detroit area has a ton of problems that Atlanta does not have in degree or kind. Truth is truths and unlike many of you I don't have a problem with people pointing out things about Detroit. The Detroit area has stabalized recently, however. In fact, the last 2 years the job growth in the area has surpased the job growth in Atlanta for the same period....and I will wager that going forward that the Areas economy will do much better since the restructuring of the auto industry.

Old 03-08-2012, 03:09 PM

151 posts, read 366,903 times
Quote:
The Detroit metropolitan area, often referred to as Metro Detroit, is the metropolitan area located in SoutheastMichigan centered on the city of Detroit. The Detroit metropolitan area is the second largest U.S. metropolitan area linking the Great Lakes system. As a major metropolitan area, it is known for its automotive heritage, arts, and popular music legacies.

At its core, Metro Detroit comprises the counties of Wayne, Oakland, and Macomb. These counties are sometimes referred to informally as the Detroit Tri-County Area and had an estimated population of 3,962,783 as of 2009.
The Detroit Urban Area, which serves as the core of the Metropolitan Statistical Area, ranks as the 9th most populous of the United States, with a population of 3,903,377 as of the 2000 census, and area of 1,261.4 square miles.

The United States Office of Management and Budget defines the Detroit–Warren–Livonia Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA) as the six counties of Lapeer, Livingston, Macomb, Oakland, St. Clair, and Wayne. As of the 2000 census, the MSA had a population of 4,441,551. The Census Bureau's 2009 estimate placed the population at 4,403,437, which ranks it as the eleventh-largest MSA. The MSA covers an area of 3,913 square miles (Compared to Atlanta's 8,300 Square mile MSA footprint). The nine-county area designated by the United States Census Bureau as the Detroit–Ann Arbor–Flint Combined Statistical Area (CSA) includes the three additional counties of Genesee, Monroe, and Washtenaw, the metropolitan areas of Flint, Ann Arbor, and Monroe, plus the Detroit-Warren-Livonia MSA. It had a population of 5,357,538 as of the 2000 census. The Census Bureau's 2009 estimate placed the population at 5,327,764. This CSA covers an area of 5,814 square miles. Note: The Atlanta MSA is 8,300 Square miles and 5.3 Million people....yet people are arguing that Detroit is NOT in Atlanta's league (15,060 km2). Lenawee County was removed from Detroit's CSA in 2000. With the adjacent city of Windsor, Ontario and its suburbs, the combined Windsor-Detroit area has a population of about 5.7 million (in a total area still smaller than Atlanta's MSA which is over 8,000 sqare miles). When the nearby Toledo Metropolitan Area and its commuters are taken into account, the region constitutes a much larger population center (Metro Toledo is about 700,000 people Thus...6.4 million people in a total area about the size of Atlanta's MSA....which is 5.3 million). An estimated 46 million people live within a 300-mile radius of Detroit proper. Metro Detroit is at the center of the Great Lakes Megalopolis.

Metro Detroit Area info

The bold, red and black print has been added by me. Thus....regardless of the rankings and the Detroit REGION is far more populated than the Atlanta region. Call it Density or whatever.....thats the facts.
That's all there is to it. Detroit is bigger and more important than Atlanta. Moderators, close thread.

Old 03-08-2012, 03:12 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,370,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dculross View Post
That's all there is to it. Detroit is bigger and used to be more important than Atlanta. Moderators, close thread.

Fixed it for you.

Old 03-08-2012, 04:19 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,106,656 times
Quote:
No......what I have said is that you can USE ANY MILE RADIUS!!! I am not arguing density because I am not saying one can only use a given radius to get a higher Detoit population count. What I have said is that regardless of the mile radius used.....that Detroit has more people. I did not say that one HAS to use a specific radius.
Ok base off that here's the communication error, It doesn't matter what the mile radius is, it's the fact the your putting two metros in the same mile radius what ever that is. That's still call density, the only thing is you haven't set the radius. So in return your saying under any mile radius Detroit is denser. Detroit is denser what your looking is not going to get better than that.

Quote:
The Detroit area was indeed in free fall and depression. The Detroit area has a ton of problems that Atlanta does not have in degree or kind. Truth is truths and unlike many of you I don't have a problem with people pointing out things about Detroit. The Detroit area has stabalized recently, however. In fact, the last 2 years the job growth in the area has surpased the job growth in Atlanta for the same period....and I will wager that going forward that the Areas economy will do much better since the restructuring of the auto industry.
look man I have nothing against Detroit as I said before, Detroit will always has it's legacy for what it done for this country. I have the same view for New Orleans and some what St Louis. I hope the city and the region makes a full recover. Unlike New Orleans and ST Louis, Detroit is still a top 15 metro region, and it has a chance to join back up with the higher of cities. But as of right now Atlanta has surpass and is on a higher tire then Detroit. But don't try to shoot down other city.

I glade the Auto industry is doing well but Detroit still needs work on something to fall back on. Look at Houston in the 80s with the oil bust now there economy is more diverse. Detroit needs needs to follow in those foot steps. As for Atlanta home price will mostly not return as high. But in the long road I believe that's a good thing. Were kind of confused about the unemployment rate right now, it might actually be than expected.

Old 03-08-2012, 04:32 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,092,084 times
Quote:
I am having a discussion with CHIATLDAL. Feel free to not chime in at anytime. Excuse me for talking while you were interrupting.
Wouldn't a private discussion be better held ... in private?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta