Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Georgia: Atlanta, cost of living, job market, real estate, housing.

Old 09-11-2007, 02:26 PM

275 posts, read 870,142 times

Advertisements

I've been reading through the forum, to get a good idea of the metro area, as I'm considering relocating in the next two years. However, a lot of the stuff I've read is scaring me away. I know I need to see the area for myself, but I still can't help but be concerned about the negative comments I always see. I'm in Norfolk, VA, and I can't help but think that Atlanta is offering the stuff I'm not finding in Norfolk.

-Cost of living vs. salary
In Norfolk, a 3 BR "starter house" will run you over $250K, where, from what I've seen, you could get the same house (and then some!) for half the price down there. Also, to get a decent condo or townhouse, you'll have to make $50K+, which employers act like is a lot to ask. Without being too personal, I'm a college graduate making somewhere in the mid-20s right now (in my field of study), so trying to get my own place would seriously break the bank. It seems like I'd make what I'm worth in Atlanta

-Dating scene
I can't pinpoint what it is, but the dating scene is not too good here in Norfolk for a young professional, unless you're rolling in the dough, which I'm not lol. Everyone I talk to says the Atlanta dating market is a lot more forgiving for the young professionals.

-More for my field
I graduated with a degree in Broadcast Journalism, and work for a local news station. I'd like to branch out to something more in general TV, like with Turner, but I'm also considering using my degree toward something in HR or PR. With the several businesses in Atlanta, I could have a better chance of putting myself out there.

Now, I know the traffic and drivers might be an issue, but then again, if you've ever driven through Virginia, you can relate. I've driven here for eight years, and have driven through New York (both NYC and Long Island). I think I'll be okay with that lol, but I know a lot of it is the increased transient population, which is a huge problem in Virginia as well. So honestly, if I can keep that in mind, I'll make it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2007, 02:50 PM

98 posts, read 471,246 times
Don't be discouraged. Most of the whining is not unique to Atlanta, just the trials of life anywhere in the US. Housing costs vary greatly by neighborhood/suburb, so you balance real estate v. commute. I'm familiar with Norfolk/Va Beach area and Atlanta has a LOT more to offer. As much as we whine about traffic, the interstate system is huge and has lots of capacity, there are rarely traffic tie-ups outside of traditional rush hour times.

Old 09-11-2007, 03:09 PM

5 posts, read 9,769 times
I'm new here too and it's been great other than my wife finding a job in the GOV. to transfer to.

Old 09-11-2007, 04:46 PM

187 posts, read 918,583 times
If I were you I would make a visit to Atlanta as you will find that most of the negative comments are from disgruntled individuals who have nothing else to do besides point out the negatives in everything they discuss. I use to think negatively about Atlanta but now that I have the experience up front and personal, it makes things all the more easier to adjust to the change and also refute the lies and misconceptions of others.

I believe that Atlanta has something for almost everyone if you are willing to take the opportunity and fly with it. Good luck!

Old 09-11-2007, 08:36 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvpirate05 View Post
-Cost of living vs. salary
In Norfolk, a 3 BR "starter house" will run you over $250K, where, from what I've seen, you could get the same house (and then some!) for half the price down there. Also, to get a decent condo or townhouse, you'll have to make $50K+, which employers act like is a lot to ask. It seems like I'd make what I'm worth in Atlanta

-Dating scene
Everyone I talk to says the Atlanta dating market is a lot more forgiving for the young professionals.

-More for my field
I'd like to branch out to something more in general TV, like with Turner, but I'm also considering using my degree toward something in HR or PR. With the several businesses in Atlanta, I could have a better chance of putting myself out there.

As far as home prices go, I'm not sure where you came up with the idea that a 3BR starter home can be found for "half" of around $250k that they cost up there. I suppose if you found a house that was just about falling down in a ghettoized section near downtown you could find one for around $125k - then, after putting around $40k into it (if you do a lot of the work yourself), you'd have a nice little bunglao type of home.. probably a 2BR 1 or 1.5BA. But would you want to live in the neighborhood you find it in?

No... a decent 3BR home - even a smaller one - can run anywhere from around $275k to $600k in certain neighborhood intown. Condos are less - around $160k for a 1BR or maybe a 2BR if you find a deal. If you go out into the burbs the prices drop a bit, and go further still and they drop more. Once you get around 20 or so miles outside of the city then it's possible to find older (1950s-1960s) ranch homes in the $150k - $180k range that may or may not need some fixing up. In the past Atlanta was known as having lower home prices than many other large cities. That has changed and things are catching up quite a bit, especially intown.

As far as dating - most singles I've ever known who have moved around give Atlanta no more credit than any other city. You can meet the "right one" in Bumducky Idaho just as easily as Atlanta it seems. Some feel that for single black women it's easier here, but the black women I've always known or worked with complain about the black men here. The black men complain that the black women always date Hispanic or White men. White people meet at church or for some odd reason, when jogging (at least those I know).

The job market here IS the reason that most move here. The traffic, smog, crime... they are not exactly poster child reasons to want to live in Atlanta. The strong job market is usually the draw to the region, and while it's not NYC or L.A., there is a reasonably strong market in broadcast (TV/Radio, etc). So that at least, shouldn't be the hardest thing for you.

As someone else suggested, coming here for an extended visit is the best option. You can test out neighborhoods, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: