Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 07:18 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,770,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I remember being "chided" by a few people for driving a perfectly presentable GM car with around 150,000 miles. I didn't care. I used it mostly to drive to the MARTA station and do errands. When I wanted to take a road trip, I rented a car at bargain rates.
If you take care of a car there's no reason whatsoever that it won't last 200,000 miles or longer. It's my impression that a lot of people do that, including a good many who could buy the whole dealership if they wanted to. My advice is to get a good car and take care of it. It used to be that a car with 125,000 miles would be showing its age but the ones they make these days are so much better built.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/18/au...pagewanted=all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 07:19 PM

1,050 posts, read 1,690,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsonga View Post
I think you hit the nail on the head. Personally, I would much rather keep my 8 year old Volvo S60 turbo until it dies, haha. I bought it used from an elderly neighbor of my parents, it was only 1 year old with less than 10,000 miles. I paid cash. I have never had, nor never want a car payment. It has been a great car with minimal maintenance or problems. My father just bought his third car that I can remember. I will be 27. He keeps his cars for at least 10 years. In 1989, he bought a MB 560 SEL new and had that until 2000 when he purchased an Audi A8L. Just last month, he finally traded that car in for a 2012 S class. All his cars have gone over 150,000 miles, and all his cars look like they rolled off the showroom floor when he trades them in 10+ years later.

I think it sometimes has to do with a person's background. If they were not fortunate growing up and didn't have the ability to have a nice car, they automatically think that as soon as they can (or think they can) afford a new luxury car, they should run out and get one. That's simply not true. If more people would just save their money and spend wisely, our economy would not have near the number of troubles we are currently experiencing.
I completely agree with you! The people without real money who buy expensive cars do so because they are seen in their cars. I saw in another post about people in far out suburbs having really nice cars because they have so much money! I wonder don't people realize you can lease luxury cars for not too much? I just googled Range Rover Sport HSE lease and it came up for about $800 a month which is not that much considering what it cost to buy(60K). I could not find an accurate price for a Range Rover lease, but I believe it would be over 1k a month.

I personally buy all of my cars in full(my wife and I have three mine, wife, and one we share). My Range Rover which I drive everyday I trade in when a big change happens with the model. I would keep it longer but since I put so many miles on it, it makes more sense to trade it in.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:34 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,045,788 times
Yes, I've observed that many who buy new expensive cars they can't afford are the ones who value a big house over say location...the same types who try to keep up with the neighbors. This is a general comment and certainly doesn't apply to everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
You think people buy new cars because they want their kids in decent school districts and want to be able to afford a decent sized house with reasonable sized bathrooms and not a galley kitchen?

Old 03-30-2012, 07:37 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,051,626 times
It could be that people who spend a lot of times in their cars want ones that are really comfortable.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:26 PM

454 posts, read 821,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaLakeSearch View Post
I completely agree with you! The people without real money who buy expensive cars do so because they are seen in their cars. I saw in another post about people in far out suburbs having really nice cars because they have so much money! I wonder don't people realize you can lease luxury cars for not too much? I just googled Range Rover Sport HSE lease and it came up for about $800 a month which is not that much considering what it cost to buy(60K). I could not find an accurate price for a Range Rover lease, but I believe it would be over 1k a month.

I personally buy all of my cars in full(my wife and I have three mine, wife, and one we share). My Range Rover which I drive everyday I trade in when a big change happens with the model. I would keep it longer but since I put so many miles on it, it makes more sense to trade it in.
Funny, I have a RR sport, the lease is about $900 a month for a non SC but as I have my own business to write the payments off against the true cost is really about 500 a month which is well worth it to me for the vehilce. I only drive it maybe 500 miles a month anyway. I could have bought cash but in a vehicle like this you are financially better off leasing for the 4 year warranty period IMHO.

The key to low car costs is a small commute. If you don't use the freeway and live close to work/marta its much less of a risk to buy an old car.

Old 03-30-2012, 10:34 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,361,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
If you take care of a car there's no reason whatsoever that it won't last 200,000 miles or longer. It's my impression that a lot of people do that, including a good many who could buy the whole dealership if they wanted to. My advice is to get a good car and take care of it. It used to be that a car with 125,000 miles would be showing its age but the ones they make these days are so much better built.
My last one hit 271,000 miles and it was still running strong when I got rid of it. Since I'm not much of a conformist, all the chiding I've gotten about what kind of car I have has always been "water off a duck's back." The chiding I got in ATL was about the car's model year and in the West about it NOT being an import, including some "eeews."

Old 03-31-2012, 03:06 AM

1,050 posts, read 1,690,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpatlanta View Post
Funny, I have a RR sport, the lease is about $900 a month for a non SC but as I have my own business to write the payments off against the true cost is really about 500 a month which is well worth it to me for the vehilce. I only drive it maybe 500 miles a month anyway. I could have bought cash but in a vehicle like this you are financially better off leasing for the 4 year warranty period IMHO.

The key to low car costs is a small commute. If you don't use the freeway and live close to work/marta its much less of a risk to buy an old car.
I have looked into leasing because I also own my business but it did not make since for my situation. On a normal weekday I drive at least 70 miles. I actually work from my house but I drive by a few of my rental properties(I own apartment buildings and houses in SW Atlanta and South Fulton) and, driving to my children's schools(one son goes in College Park(at least all my rental properties are on that side of town), we live in Buckhead). I also regularly drive to the Sea Island where my mother has a weekend home which is about 650 miles round trip, and I also go out to Birmingham a few times a year. If I did not drive as much I might lease. I think the $800 a month quote that comes up is for RR sport without the luxury interior, dvd, and there is another upgrade I cannot remember.(it might also only be for 10k miles a year)

What do you get charged if you go over your mileage? And WOW $500 a month is great for a RR.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:26 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,373,965 times
If you don't plan on doing any offroading expeditions, there's absolutely no need to buy a rover except if you want to keep up with the Joneses. And even then, there's better less expensive choices.

$800 a month for 36 months would buy a brand new one of those less expensive choices in full if you stash it away.

Old 03-31-2012, 10:26 AM

2,324 posts, read 2,905,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
It could be that people who spend a lot of times in their cars want ones that are really comfortable.
Conversely, it could be that people aren't comfortable with new cars because of the higher insurance premiums and being a target for thieves.

Old 03-31-2012, 11:49 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,361,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBurgh View Post
Conversely, it could be that people aren't comfortable with new cars because of the higher insurance premiums and being a target for thieves.
Absolutely, not to mention how weirded out we tend to get when the newer car gets scratches and dings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta