Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2012, 03:35 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,159,198 times

Advertisements

Hate to say it, but I'm glad you guys are NOT brushing aside the race issue--it cannot be ignored here.

And I agree that Five Points needs more green space. Which is why I'm already on board with the "green line" in its current form.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 07:42 PM

6 posts, read 14,415 times
Suprised noone mentioned the neighborhoods of O4Ward, Inman Park, Virginia Highlands. Personally, these neighborhoods have great urban flavor, parks, lots of energy. Increasingly, it's become more walkable as well. Soon as the beltline comes in, all of these neighborhoods will be fairly well connected. The city still isn't a Chicago or NYC, but it definitely has some cool little urban pockets. The crime in these neighborhoods is unacceptable however. And I lived in the heart of Chicago for 12 years prior to moving here.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:33 PM
Box

382 posts, read 661,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by september35 View Post
Suprised noone mentioned the neighborhoods of O4Ward, Inman Park, Virginia Highlands. Personally, these neighborhoods have great urban flavor, parks, lots of energy. Increasingly, it's become more walkable as well. Soon as the beltline comes in, all of these neighborhoods will be fairly well connected. The city still isn't a Chicago or NYC, but it definitely has some cool little urban pockets. The crime in these neighborhoods is unacceptable however. And I lived in the heart of Chicago for 12 years prior to moving here.
It kinda sucks that a person would have to sell their first born child in order to afford to live in those neighborhoods.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:57 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,139,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by september35 View Post
I wouldn't call those part of the urban core of Atlanta though. This thread was specifically towards the Downtown/SoNo/Midtown areas of Atlanta.

Old 06-04-2012, 11:59 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,105,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
no, it's not "ghetto" but selling purses out of a roadside stand is a bit sketchy. i've seen knockoff bootleg DVDs and pretty sketchy stuff for sale in the area. which, honestly, i think adds an interesting character. but for south downtown to be entirely represented by sketchy retail creates an area that appeals only to a certain demographic for only part of the time, it reduces the volume of people going there, makes people not want to live there and the place becomes mostly deserted.

what south downtown needs is more restaurants and shops that serve a more general purpose like grocery stores, and apartments and condos. the biggest problem is that people do not live there.
But that doesn't answer my question what if it was someone white selling purse in London or New York? That was my point because it not the demographic some people want it be then all of sudden it's something bad. In most cases something like this adds character and vibrancy. Never the less I agree with the diversity issues though, but that's not going to change unless people of different backgrounds stop being scared or whatever it is of the people already there and things they like. Basically people need to add and join not avoid base off nothing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by readyset View Post

I think the biggest problem with the underground/five points area is that its architecture is old and outdated. 1970s and early 80s vernacular did not stand the the test of time. Especially the 1970s with its brutalist designs was really the most horrible time period in architectural history. I really don't understand the fascination to pave over everything in concrete and cover it in bricks as far as the eye can see. I hate this about Baltimore's Inner Harbor too which is dated as well.

Where's the green? I think if there was more green space, trees and they got rid of that modernist and post modern architecture (which seems to be making a comeback unfortunately) it would be a vast improvement. They also need to find a away to level it so its at grade and you're not feeling like you're in a ditch.

They need to embrace the historic structures in and around that area and let them take center stage.
I agree with this. though I think the 60s were the worst ironically the 60s and the 70s is when Atlanta lost a lot building density around that area and south DT.. but I see were your getting at.

That's whole thing it's not level the streets were raised, that's how it became the underground. The said thing is the underground is actually a very cool ideal people don't know how historic it is, it should be a goal to have listed with the National Register of Historic Places because oddly enough it's not. But first I feel GSU and the Atlanta history center should step in, There should be a lot history and Art museums there it's the perfect place. Also it shouldn't feel like a indoor mall that's underground but rather underground streets.

Stuff like this makes it cool. they need to stress history harder, it makes the area feel unique

http://farm1.staticflickr.com/25/654...229_z.jpg?zz=1

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3079/2...ccb14847_z.jpg

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2682/4...e0925cbf_z.jpg

This from the 70s

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3103/2...343130e9_z.jpg

Old 06-05-2012, 04:30 AM

657 posts, read 1,505,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I wouldn't call those part of the urban core of Atlanta though. This thread was specifically towards the Downtown/SoNo/Midtown areas of Atlanta.
Good point. And the Beltline as an effective mode of transportation is DECADES off from becoming a reality.

People mention the "Beltline" in these forums as if it's MARTA phase 2 (MARTA phase 1 isn't that great to begin with). The Beltline now is little more than a glorified bike path, incomplete at that, that really has had no dramatic effect on urbanizing Atlanta into a walkable city.

So please stop referencing the Beltline until there are trains running running through it, which, with Georgia's financial woes, and the state's paranoid Tea Party wing unwilling to accept money from the Feds, I don't see ever becoming a reality.

Old 06-05-2012, 04:42 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,876,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by back2dc View Post
Good point. And the Beltline as an effective mode of transportation is DECADES off from becoming a reality.

People mention the "Beltline" in these forums as if it's MARTA phase 2 (MARTA phase 1 isn't that great to begin with). The Beltline now is little more than a glorified bike path, incomplete at that, that really has had no dramatic effect on urbanizing Atlanta into a walkable city.
not quite. if TIA passes on july 31, funding is available to construct light rail along the beltline and must be used within the next 10 years:

Regional Transportation Referendum // Atlanta BeltLine

i know it may seem like a glorified bike path, but it really is something special— with ponce city market opening in 2014 and the sheer number of parks that the beltline connects, it creates an urban oasis for trees, nature and recreation. just the prospect of the beltline being there has already caused major revitalization along the east side corridor, with condos and apartments going up all the time.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:09 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,298,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by back2dc View Post

The Beltline now is little more than a glorified bike path, incomplete at that, that really has had no dramatic effect on urbanizing Atlanta into a walkable city.
For god's sake, the thing is still under construction. They JUST started pouring concrete. How can you expect it to have already had a dramatic effect when they haven't even finished the first stretch of paved trail?

Old 06-05-2012, 07:15 AM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,244,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
I think it is very important to not brush aside the racial discussion when talking about transforming Five Points. Most of the businesses and customers are Black. I don't know how to say this without coming across as "politically correct" to our more conservative posters, but we can't just brush the race issue aside, because it's not going to just go away. It's front and center to this issue.

However, there is another side of the cultural coin: Atlanta is an international city. It attracts people not just from around the nation but from around the world. If I were a tourist, and all I saw was Five Points, I'd think that Atlanta was a ****ing ghetto. That is NOT the image that an international city needs to put off. So again, the desire to remain constant has to be balanced against the need to remain cutting-edge. Grow in stages, but for god's sake, GROW.
Im with you 100%. As a black male, I overhear people dancve around the issue of why a cfertain place is this or that constantly. Its all BS. Most people think any ethnic area is "ghetto". I also am all for updating and growing 5P. Look at the bashing and blame game Atlantic Station has taken on the same issue...and Im not totally a fan of Atlantic Station.

5 Points is like the rest of the urban core...ignored due to the people whom frequent it.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:22 AM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,244,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Why do y'all think Fairlie Poplar has never really caught fire? It seems to me it would be absolutely perfect as an area lined with cafes, bars, galleries, etc.

My dude!!! I was just tellin my friend here in New York that. I used to frequent the MARK, SLICE, and the BAR(forget the name; its been a while). That was ONE of the little areas I thought had so much potential....you are 100% correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta