Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2012, 08:49 PM

25 posts, read 88,219 times

Advertisements

I'm just wondering what the experience has been for anyone who's child attends or attended West Lake High School good or bad please...we really don't have many choices on the Southwest side....any feedback regarding public or charter schools for a senior would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 11:11 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,876,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldouglas124 View Post
I'm just wondering what the experience has been for anyone who's child attends or attended West Lake High School good or bad please...we really don't have many choices on the Southwest side....any feedback regarding public or charter schools for a senior would be greatly appreciated.
i notice no one's replied here and i don't have a lot of info about west lake high school, but i do know that there are two charter high schools on the westside, one is the BEST academy. you might want to check out those— they were originally one for girls and one for boys but i think the recent decisions by the APS makes one or both of them co-ed. those charter schools have a higher reputation from what i understand.

you may also want to check out north atlanta high school which is zoned to bolton road and hollywood.

bottom line, if you push hard enough you can get your kids going to any school you want. you've just got to raise hell and break through some red tape.

Old 04-27-2012, 01:37 AM

4,586 posts, read 7,711,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
i notice no one's replied here and i don't have a lot of info about west lake high school, but i do know that there are two charter high schools on the westside, one is the BEST academy. you might want to check out those— they were originally one for girls and one for boys but i think the recent decisions by the APS makes one or both of them co-ed. those charter schools have a higher reputation from what i understand.

you may also want to check out north atlanta high school which is zoned to bolton road and hollywood.

bottom line, if you push hard enough you can get your kids going to any school you want. you've just got to raise hell and break through some red tape.
Can you really got go to APS schools, if you are zoned for Fulton County Schools?

Old 04-27-2012, 03:26 AM

1,050 posts, read 1,691,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
Can you really got go to APS schools, if you are zoned for Fulton County Schools?
For NCLB transfers(I am not sure if you live in Fulton or City of Atlanta, because when I looked at your other posts & you asked about Therrell which is City of Atlanta and Westlake is Fulton)

In Fulton County School System(FCSS):
No Child Left Behind/AYP School Choice Transfer (http://portal.fultonschools.org/departments/Operations/Operational_Planning/Pages/NCLB.aspx - broken link)

City of Atlanta- Atlanta Public Schools(APS):
No Child Left Behind / Applying for a School Choice Transfer

I believe you would have to pay tuition to attend a school outside of your district. Ex. If you live in City of Atlanta you would have to pay tuition to attend in Fulton County School System.

I have rental properties in the Westlake HS zone and there are people who have specifically rented there for Westlake. It has some nice neighborhoods zoned there but it also has some OK areas zoned.

If you do live in the Westlake zone it looks like you can with NCLB attend Chattahoochee or Northview. That would be a pretty long commute though. I do not know if you can also transfer to Banneker? You would have to look at the PDF file in the link above for APS. Maybe somebody else here could answer.

I started this thread a few months ago:

//www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...ool-fight.html

Old 04-27-2012, 03:27 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,662,983 times
Has your child already been in GA public schools or is she moving from elsewhere? I ask because you need to be diligent (regardless of the school) about understanding the graduation requirements etc and making sure she has/takes the coursework she needs. Disregard my comments if she already has been in a Fulton/Metro Atlanta public school.

There are some options for transfers within Fulton County. The City of Atlanta schools listed above aren't options.

I know nothing about West Lake. Have you visited and met the principal?

Anyway, you will have a couple of options if you feel you need them.

School transfer options changing due to Georgia ESEA waiver (http://portal.fultonschools.org/News_Room/Pages/SchooltransferoptionschangingduetoGeorgiaESEAwaive r.aspx - broken link)

Home

Old 04-27-2012, 05:20 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,876,597 times
whoops— sorry y'all. i was under the impression that west lake high school was in the atlanta neighbourhood of west lake.

Old 05-27-2012, 02:02 PM

8 posts, read 20,111 times
Default West Lake High School SW

I have a rising Sophomore attending Westlake who is also in the Math and Science Magnet. I have no complaints. The new Principal, who started last year, has really done a bunch for the school and has boosted the morale of the students, as well as the parents. There is a continuous flow of information from the teachers and Principal to the parents.

Of course, there have been some isolated incidents that could have been handled differently but I can tell you that my daughter, who did not want to go there based on the things she had heard in middle school, is very happy there.

Old 04-11-2015, 10:36 AM

1 posts, read 1,247 times
As a Father of a Westlake Graduate, I can Honestly say that WestLake H.S. is by far the BEST PUBLIC High School in the Area. Although it is NOT Paces Academy, minus the 25K/Yr. Tuition, Westlake Continued to Improve and Impress me Every Year my Son Attended. Their Foundation is built upon Excellent Communication between faculty and parents.

Old 04-11-2015, 02:30 PM

708 posts, read 999,766 times
Westlake is an Atlanta Public School now due to rezoning.

Old 04-11-2015, 04:17 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,963,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigATL View Post
Westlake is an Atlanta Public School now due to rezoning.
No it's not.

That would only be APS if the city annexed that area, which won't happen now for AT LEAST another 2 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: