Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 10:01 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,022,098 times

Advertisements

Novare Looks to Build 23-Story Mixed-Use Project on 6th - Midtown, GA Patch

According to draft agenda for next week’s Midtown Development Review Committee (DRC) meeting, a new application has been submitted for the construction of a mixed-use project located at the northwest corner of 6th and Juniper streets in Midtown.The “Novare Residential” application calls for a 23-story building including ground floor retail and 320 residential units.
Parking will be in an adjacent deck at the southwest corner of 7th and Juniper streets according to the application.

The location currently is home to dilapidated structures that occupy a stretch of 6th Street between Peachtree and Juniper streets. It has been empty for more than five years since the property owners, Novare Group, told the owners of a several businesses such as Loca Luna and McCrays to relocate so it could construct its condo tower, Viewpoint. Viewpoint is located on Peachtree Street between 6th and 7th streets. A representative for Novare Group could not be reached late Friday afternoon for comment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 10:53 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,876,597 times
it'll be nice to see more infill in midtown, but i hate that they're putting another above ground parking deck on a streetfront.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:23 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,060,376 times
Is this one of the 3 towers originally planned for Viewpoint?

I certainly hope Novare abandons the 3/4 wall and exposed concrete nonsense of its past properties.

Old 05-05-2012, 01:05 AM

1,868 posts, read 3,068,800 times
I think Midtown needs to reconsider its codes regarding parking structures.

Old 05-05-2012, 01:46 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,876,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
I think Midtown needs to reconsider its codes regarding parking structures.
yes... i would hate midtown to become another downtown. there are more parking decks than there are buildings...

Old 05-05-2012, 10:34 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,060,376 times
I agree, they should be required to make the first several floors of the structure parking, not erect a separate parking deck.

Old 05-05-2012, 11:44 AM

906 posts, read 1,746,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Is this one of the 3 towers originally planned for Viewpoint?

I certainly hope Novare abandons the 3/4 wall and exposed concrete nonsense of its past properties.
Agree with you on the 3/4 wall issue. When I was condo shopping a couple of years ago, I kept disliking the 3/4 walls so much that it was hard to see some of the actually very nice features in their units. The idea is supposed to be that it makes the space "more open," but I'd rather just have no wall or a full wall than a 3/4 wall.

(For the record, I actually don't mind the exposed concrete. I can see why some people would go for that.)

As for the parking structure issue, why can't the city regulate this? I understand we want "development," but I don't see why the City of Atlanta is so lax on developers regarding the construction of parking structures. Why not compel them to build in such a way that the parking structure is not prominent and street-side (e.g., integrated into the building structure behind street-level retail, or partial underground parking, etc.)? I'm guessing because it's typically more expensive for developers that way. But the City has a duty to keep its streets from looking like crap.

Old 05-05-2012, 12:21 PM

657 posts, read 1,505,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
it'll be nice to see more infill in midtown, but i hate that they're putting another above ground parking deck on a streetfront.
As many of you have pointed out, you're against the above ground parking deck. We're in agreement here.

Above ground parking decks are one of many reasons why Atlanta will never be a walkable city. The parking decks create dead space where there should be another residential or commercial building with retail on the ground level.

Everyone gets uber-defensive when I criticized Atlanta's urban core in another thread, but yet there is agreement that this parking deck is detrimental to creating urban density. Low density also prevents mass transit from realizing its full potential. All of this contributes to a poor urban core.

This complete lack of foresight by the city, caving into developers trying to cut corners and costs, is pathetic.

//www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...nta-urban.html

Old 05-05-2012, 12:35 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
I don't see why the zoning code can't simply mandate active uses at the street level of parking decks. That's not ideal but it certainly mitigates a lot of the problem with parking decks.

You'd think developers would want the additional revenue stream.

Better yet, why not put the parking underground and build a 10-12 story structure that covers the entire parcel?

Old 05-05-2012, 01:03 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,351,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Better yet, why not put the parking underground and build a 10-12 story structure that covers the entire parcel?
Did you really just ask this question?

Why do YOU think that developers might resist such moves? I'll let you answer this question, because to me it is ridiculously obvious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta