Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 01:00 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,883,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GF72 View Post
Pedestrians aren't allowed on the highway.... so I don't think you're analogy is appropriate. People don't usually drive 86 mph on roads with pedestrians...
Well unless they're in Germany they shouldn't be driving 86 mph anywhere.

Old 09-20-2007, 02:19 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Well unless they're in Germany they shouldn't be driving 86 mph anywhere.
That's only 6MPH above the limit in some parts of western Texas, at least according to Wikipedia...

Old 09-20-2007, 04:13 PM

59 posts, read 360,132 times
I was on 75 S at 1:00pm. I am going to try and plea bargin with them. If they don't want to, I will plea not guilty, request to see the calibration records of the laser, and hope the cop can't make it to the hearing.

As for going to jail for driving 86 in a 55....that is ridiculous. If you want to live in that type of country maybe you should move the middle east or cuba.

Old 09-20-2007, 04:18 PM

59 posts, read 360,132 times
I am requesting advice on this post....not a scolding from someone who has nothing better to do than to critisize someone for making a mistake. THIS IS ABSURD. I bet you have never made a mistake in your life have you? The speed limit should be at least 70 mph, what is up with the 55 mph speed limit on the interstate?

Old 09-20-2007, 05:14 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,307,927 times
The point is not what the speed limit should be. The point is that the speed limit is what it is, and that's the law.

It's not only the speed you feel you must go - it's those of us on the road who do obey the law, or at the very least, drive no more than 5-10 mph over the limit. The people who think they have the right to go 70, 80, 90 or more in a 55 don't just drive merrily down the road without endangering anyone else. They're tailgating, weaving in and out of traffic, cutting people off, and putting lives at stake, and for what? To arrive at your destination 30 seconds to a minute later than you would have if you'd driven the limit. It's just. plain. stupid.

Those of us who do obey the law, even staying in the right lane, have to deal with jackasses crawling up our butts, trying to push us down the road. You're not the only ones on the road. You don't own the road. Think about others instead of yourself for a change.

Driving 20+ mph over the speed limit isn't a mistake. It's a willful disregard for the law. No one gets to decide which law to obey, and no one is above the law. If you get a ticket, own up to the fact you broke the law and pay the consequences. You have no right to complain about your insurance going up, fines you have to pay, points on your license, etc. If you can't pay the consequences, then obey the law. Period.

Old 09-20-2007, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire_F View Post
The point is not what the speed limit should be. The point is that the speed limit is what it is, and that's the law.

It's not only the speed you feel you must go - it's those of us on the road who do obey the law, or at the very least, drive no more than 5-10 mph over the limit. The people who think they have the right to go 70, 80, 90 or more in a 55 don't just drive merrily down the road without endangering anyone else.

Driving 20+ mph over the speed limit isn't a mistake. It's a willful disregard for the law. No one gets to decide which law to obey, and no one is above the law. If you get a ticket, own up to the fact you broke the law and pay the consequences. You have no right to complain about your insurance going up, fines you have to pay, points on your license, etc. If you can't pay the consequences, then obey the law. Period.
Applause. Great comments.
http://bestsmileys.com/clapping/2.gif (broken link)

Old 09-20-2007, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekgreer17 View Post
I am requesting advice on this post....not a scolding from someone who has nothing better to do than to critisize someone for making a mistake. THIS IS ABSURD. I bet you have never made a mistake in your life have you? The speed limit should be at least 70 mph, what is up with the 55 mph speed limit on the interstate?
As per the above post(s) - dude, you did not make a "mistake". A "mistake" would have been to forget your blinker is on, or to leave a coffee mug on top of your car when you drove off in the morning.

There are speed limit signs posted every few hundred feet along the interstates. You DID see them, and regardless of what you think the speed limit should be, you knew what is really is. Then, you chose to drive above it. A lot above it. Then you come in and ask "what to do". Well - you admit what you did, pay your fines, take your points, and hopefully, you learn not to do it again. THAT is what you do.

Period.

Old 09-20-2007, 11:15 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,681,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire_F View Post
Those of us who do obey the law, even staying in the right lane, have to deal with jackasses crawling up our butts, trying to push us down the road. You're not the only ones on the road. You don't own the road. Think about others instead of yourself for a change.

Driving 20+ mph over the speed limit isn't a mistake. It's a willful disregard for the law.

Since we can't post links just do a search on youtube for "A Meditation on the Speed Limit", Georgia State Students did a video competition and rode around 285 @ 55 blocking all lanes.

My ticket was much worse than the original posters. I was 99 when I got clocked. I don't think I was 99 but I was around 90. I don't normally cruise at that, but like you said......

...the jackasses weren't in the right lane, they were in the left doing 60mph as alot of you guys love to do. I was in that lane, pulled out and gunned it ( I have a V8) and the cop tagged me as gunning it. It only takes a few secs to reach that speed. I was only passing. I probably normally do around 75 in the 55 areas in and around Atlanta.

Yes it was dumb, but not wreckless. I haven't had a speeding ticket in 8 years and I have (had) a clean MVR. I'll still have no points, just a ticket.

If you're going to complain, complain about the crotch rockets doing 120+ and the rigs doing 80 in construction zones.

The guy cordinating the 75 repave to concrete told me they've had 7 fatalities since they started. 6 of the 7 were b/c of rigs, he hates rigs.

The guy got an 86, big deal, that's what 8 over normal speed limit for most drivers.

Old 09-20-2007, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekgreer17 View Post
I was on 75 S at 1:00pm. I am going to try and plea bargin with them. If they don't want to, I will plea not guilty, request to see the calibration records of the laser, and hope the cop can't make it to the hearing.

As for going to jail for driving 86 in a 55....that is ridiculous. If you want to live in that type of country maybe you should move the middle east or cuba.
Well, you'll have to get the calibration from public records, I'd also subpeona his log for that day, tickets handed out, etc. There's a forum you can find called 'Beat your ticket' on a radar forum, good info. They mentioned a CD you can buy called the Georgia Speeding Ticket Killer or something. I didn't bother, Div I got me what I wanted.

Old 09-20-2007, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
As per the above post(s) - dude, you did not make a "mistake". A "mistake" would have been to forget your blinker is on, or to leave a coffee mug on top of your car when you drove off in the morning.

There are speed limit signs posted every few hundred feet along the interstates. You DID see them, and regardless of what you think the speed limit should be, you knew what is really is. Then, you chose to drive above it. A lot above it. Then you come in and ask "what to do". Well - you admit what you did, pay your fines, take your points, and hopefully, you learn not to do it again. THAT is what you do.

Period.
BS, if he can get out of it he should, he's innocent until proven guilty and that's in a court. All you liberals like throwing this around so why not for speeders. Hell, y'all want to give civilian rights to terrorist combatants and illegal immigrants, why not a speeder.

These damn illegals with out of country licenses, no insurance are driving around dropping stuff out of their vehicles, driving less than safe vehicles, no insurance, no registration, etc... and you are gun ho about penalizing a tax payer for a minor infraction!

He may well be over and guilty but if he hires a lawyer he'll get out of it, I guarantee, it just on a smaller level vs all the celebrity b/s everyone knows about. If he haggles he'll get it dropped, why would Cobb County do that??? Oh so the don't have to put up the costs of going to trial over something stupid!!!!!!

Rolling a stop sign in a damn neighborhood is a big fine and goes on your MVR but I doubt any of yall actually perform a 'legal' stop.

Actually speed limit signs are not posted that close and cops aren't allowed to run radar/laser within 500 feet of a posted speed limit, even though they do it all the time on the Hooch bridge from Cobb to Fulton on 75, the sign is right there. Cops (with the exception of GSP) have to be visible for 500ft before taggin a car.

Look it up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta