Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 12:52 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,976,920 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I am a relatively new transplant from the far far away land called Savannah.

In the year and a half that I have been in the metro, I have driven around in the hopes of finding new enclaves around town.

So far, I have been to Virginia Highland, Little Five Points and Inman Park. I have also driven along the Memorial and DeKalb corridors from downtown all the way out to Decatur (and beyond where I hooked up to Ponce & 78 on out to Gwinnett)

Am I leaving any places out? Where else can I find small neighborhood enclaves like the places I mentioned above?

(Btw, these don't exactly count as small enclaves, but places worth mentioning that I've also been to.. downtown Decatur, Avondale Estates, Doraville, Chamblee and of course, midtown, downtown and Buckhead)

Oh yeah, also trying to keep my search ITP since whats left OTP are basically small towns (like Norcross, Marietta, Douglasville, etc)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 01:33 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,877,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
Hi all. I am a relatively new transplant from the far far away land called Savannah.

In the year and a half that I have been in the metro, I have driven around in the hopes of finding new enclaves around town.

So far, I have been to Virginia Highland, Little Five Points and Inman Park. I have also driven along the Memorial and DeKalb corridors from downtown all the way out to Decatur (and beyond where I hooked up to Ponce & 78 on out to Gwinnett)

Am I leaving any places out? Where else can I find small neighborhood enclaves like the places I mentioned above?

(Btw, these don't exactly count as small enclaves, but places worth mentioning that I've also been to.. downtown Decatur, Avondale Estates, Doraville, Chamblee and of course, midtown, downtown and Buckhead)

Oh yeah, also trying to keep my search ITP since whats left OTP are basically small towns (like Norcross, Marietta, Douglasville, etc)
oh yes there's tons of places you've missed. just in proximity to the other places you've been—

east atlanta village— go south on moreland from little five points and cross I-20. even before you get all the way across the bridge, you should see a left turn lane that goes by a gas station, turn left and the road lasts about 100 feet, and then turn right on flat shoals avenue, and you'll be in east atlanta village.

kirkwood— go south on moreland from little five points, about a mile past dekalb avenue and before you get to memorial, turn left on hosea williams drive. you'll hit kirkwood in about a mile, it has a nice little downtown area.

lake claire— from little five points, go down mclendon avenue, which goes straight east from the center of little five points and is right next to the zesto. go about a mile and you'll hit lake claire, a nice little community with restaurants, shops and a record store.

old fourth ward— this neighbourhood is actually fairly large, but a nicely developing little enclave can be found by taking these directions— from little five points, go westward down euclid avenue heading into inman park. about halfway through inman park, you'll intersect with edgewood avenue, turn right on edgewood. go about a mile and you'll eventually intersect boulevard— at the corner of boulevard and edgewood there's a nice little neighbourhood.

Old 05-17-2012, 01:38 AM

just FYI, there are over 300 neighbourhoods recognized by the city of atlanta, many of them are just subdivisions in the newer developed parts, but at least 100 are established historic neighbourhoods.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:12 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,976,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
oh yes there's tons of places you've missed. just in proximity to the other places you've been—

east atlanta village— go south on moreland from little five points and cross I-20. even before you get all the way across the bridge, you should see a left turn lane that goes by a gas station, turn left and the road lasts about 100 feet, and then turn right on flat shoals avenue, and you'll be in east atlanta village.

kirkwood— go south on moreland from little five points, about a mile past dekalb avenue and before you get to memorial, turn left on hosea williams drive. you'll hit kirkwood in about a mile, it has a nice little downtown area.

lake claire— from little five points, go down mclendon avenue, which goes straight east from the center of little five points and is right next to the zesto. go about a mile and you'll hit lake claire, a nice little community with restaurants, shops and a record store.

old fourth ward— this neighbourhood is actually fairly large, but a nicely developing little enclave can be found by taking these directions— from little five points, go westward down euclid avenue heading into inman park. about halfway through inman park, you'll intersect with edgewood avenue, turn right on edgewood. go about a mile and you'll eventually intersect boulevard— at the corner of boulevard and edgewood there's a nice little neighbourhood.
Awesome! I was talking with a friend of mine about East Atlanta Village earlier this evening and that is definitely one of the places I need to check out! I haven't really done much exploring south of I-20.

Old 05-17-2012, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Awesome! I was talking with a friend of mine about East Atlanta Village earlier this evening and that is definitely one of the places I need to check out! I haven't really done much exploring south of I-20.
just be advised when you're fiddling around that you don't get yourself into a bad neighbourhood. there are a few rough spots in town.

also south of I-20 is grant park, i don't know if you've been there? from little five points you go south on moreland, turn right on memorial drive until you reach oakland cemetery, then turn left on cherokee avenue. it's where the zoo and the cyclorama is, both good places to visit, but there are also shops and restaurants along there.

Old 05-17-2012, 05:19 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,108,506 times
Within the city limits of Decatur is Oakhurst Village, definitely worth a visit (particularly during its annual wine crawl). Going east on Ponce towards Decatur, veer right onto East Lake Drive; it will take you straight there.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:33 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,300,835 times
Cabbagetown. This Saturday in Cabbagetown is Estoriafest at 97 Estoria. See a bunch of local rock bands for free starting at 3. Must be 21+.

Oakland Cemetery. This weekend is Tunes From the Tombs. Dozens of bands playing throughout the cemetery on Sat and Sun. http://www.tunesfromthetombs.com/

Old 05-17-2012, 07:34 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,300,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post

Kirkwood Spring Fling is this weekend. Perfect time to visit.

10th Annual Kirkwood Spring Fling and Tour of Homes

Old 05-17-2012, 12:17 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,092,084 times
Quote:
That's a little inaccurate.

Some of the close-in counties (Cobb and Gwinnett for sure) are 700,000 people and almost completely suburban. There are some small incorporated areas (the towns you mention), but they don't really have defined development boundaries that you can see because 80% of the development is in unincorporated areas and it all runs together.

That said, it isn't the city. But it isn't farmland, either.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:57 PM

284 posts, read 590,881 times
Ansley park, the prado, Sherwood forest are very beautiful and in the heart of the city.
Historically, Atlanta was situated more sw from where it is now. West End, Cascade/Adams Park,Adair Park all have great architecture, parks, and history (and share the same architects/ planners of many ofthe 'hoods in the ne area-- there was basicaly a migration up I85).

A Beltline tour may be just the thing to introduce you to new places to explore!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta