Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2012, 11:53 AM

3 posts, read 7,691 times

Advertisements

I am interested in finding out about a particular accident that occurred in Metro Atlanta on September 30, 1981. A friend of mine was injured in the accident sometime in the early evening of Wednesday, September 30, 1981. It might have been in the Dunwoody or north Atlanta area. She may have been driving an orange AMC Grimlin. She may have been rushed to Northside Hospital where she died on October 1, 1981. My friend worked for G.C.C Beverages at that time. Any help in this search will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 01:21 PM

38 posts, read 86,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prpaulxxx View Post
I am interested in finding out about a particular accident that occurred in Metro Atlanta on September 30, 1981. A friend of mine was injured in the accident sometime in the early evening of Wednesday, September 30, 1981. It might have been in the Dunwoody or north Atlanta area. She may have been driving an orange AMC Grimlin. She may have been rushed to Northside Hospital where she died on October 1, 1981. My friend worked for G.C.C Beverages at that time. Any help in this search will be appreciated.

If you're local to the area, I'd recommend coming to one of the libraries around town - for example, the GSU library has the Journal and the Constitution available on microfilm for that time period (the online access skips from 1945-1991, so it's no help for this). One of the other libraries around - perhaps Emory or Atlanta Fulton County, could have online access, but I don't know if they do.

If you're not local, I'd suggest talking to your local public library - not that they would necessarily have it, but you might be able to put in an interlibrary loan request for the microfilm that covers the time surrounding the crash - probably for October of that year - which would give you the ability to look through it for articles about the crash.

Old 06-03-2012, 01:28 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,197,268 times
See if the local police agency involved keeps archives on those types of things.

Old 06-04-2012, 02:23 PM

3 posts, read 7,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
See if the local police agency involved keeps archives on those types of things.
I have already checked out archived copies of the AJC for that time period (September-October 1981). I have a copy of her obit, but there was no mention of her accident in either the main paper or the AJC Extras (Cobb, Intown, or Dekalb) that were printed back then.

What is the legal statute concerning VIEWING a death certificate or a police accident report? I am not a family member, just a friend interested in memorializing her...

Old 06-04-2012, 02:51 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,197,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prpaulxxx View Post
I have already checked out archived copies of the AJC for that time period (September-October 1981). I have a copy of her obit, but there was no mention of her accident in either the main paper or the AJC Extras (Cobb, Intown, or Dekalb) that were printed back then.

What is the legal statute concerning VIEWING a death certificate or a police accident report? I am not a family member, just a friend interested in memorializing her...
I'm not an attorney or investigator, but I would venture a guess that if you know where it happened and within a few days, you could check with the police who probably keep those reports. I have no idea whether or not they would give you that information or you would need to file a "Freedom of Information" type request. Maybe someone else on here knows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: