Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 05:58 AM

749 posts, read 888,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
I know people with Master's degrees here who can't find work.
There are people with master's degrees in ever city that cannot find work.

Old 06-23-2012, 06:19 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,227,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankster87 View Post
There are people with master's degrees in ever city that cannot find work.
This is true. However, the common thought is that Atlanta is a better place to be over other metro areas because it has more job opportunities, particularly if you are highly educated. That has been brought up in this thread. But many of the highly educated and experienced people I know simply don't agree that Atlanta has more opportunities than other places and they can't find work or when they had jobs they were low-paying for their field and they and left for other cities that offered better salaries. And not everyone is going to be in IT or medicine who has degrees.

You will also find that a lot of jobs here that require master's degree but don't even pay $40k a year.

Last edited by Atlanta_BD; 06-23-2012 at 06:37 AM..

Old 06-23-2012, 06:33 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,411,657 times
I don't know one person who wants to move to Atlanta. I personally would never entertain the idea of living in a city that is in the state of Georgia. Georgia remains a RED state, which indicates that it still contains more people who align themselves with the Klan than it does not. As a solid Conservative state, Georgia doesn't count in my eyes, and neither does Atlanta.

I have always felt that Atlanta was all marketing and no substance. No interest in the city whatsoever.

Old 06-23-2012, 06:44 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,384,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
I don't know one person who wants to move to Atlanta. I personally would never entertain the idea of living in a city that is in the state of Georgia. Georgia remains a RED state, which indicates that it still contains more people who align themselves with the Klan than it does not. As a solid Conservative state, Georgia doesn't count in my eyes, and neither does Atlanta.

I have always felt that Atlanta was all marketing and no substance. No interest in the city whatsoever.
Surprising someone with as many rep points as you would post such a trollish, inflammatory and untrue comment.

I've overheard conversations in california... LA no less... that were the most vile, disgusting, hateful speech I've ever heard in my life. I've lived here in GA for 12 years and never heard people say anything like that.

You also have your fair share of hate groups in california. We may have klan up in the mountains... That's not atlanta by the way. But you have neo nazi groups and anti-muslim groups there in your big cities.
You definitely have a lot of rightwingers too. Hardcore ones. I can think of one prominent Californian that became president of our country and flushed it down the toilet so hard that it never recovered. And for that I'll never forgive you california.

Old 06-23-2012, 08:11 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,917,598 times
Quote:
No, I don't want people to feel the way I do. I actually know plenty of people who feel the way I do, many who have left or are trying to leave. To that end, the people I know who have left or want to leave are from big cities such as Miami, D.C., Chicago, N.YC., Boston, and L.A. All of them are either very well-educated or have many years of experience in their fields. But that's not the point.

I'm trying to see if there's something I'm overlooking (in an attempt to try to make the best of things while I'm still here) as to why I don't think Atlanta is as wonderful as everyone else does on these forums. Yes I agree that Atlanta has some beautiful neighborhoods. Heck, I worked in Downtown Decatur, lived in Virginia-Highland for many years and I currently live in Buckhead, both of which I love for asthetic reasons and schools. I think Morningside/Lenox Park, Toco Hills, Brookhaven, and Oakhurst/Downtown Decatur/East Lake are also very gorgeous areas, each with their own unique appeal. But there are things about the city/state themselves that I just don't like and I'm not seeing all these opportunities.

All of those I know who left or who want to leave have or are doing so because they feel the pay is just too low here. They all complained that the salaries they earned while living in GA were the lowest they ever made. They said the cost of living is too high compared to the pay, the traffic is too bad and the commutes are too long, making living here not worth it to them, particularly for the salaries they were earning. They all say they have made or can make much more money elsewhere. And those I know who have businesses say their businesses fair(ed) much better in other cites--that their business made much more money in the cities they came from or travel to, that Atlanta customers don't like paying for things or want everything on the cheap, and that their coming here to do business was a mistake. And those who are black said they have faced outright racism when going to job interviews or in the workplace.

I definitely notice what some of you have mentioned in this thread thus far: My friends who love Atlanta and think it's the greatest thing ever are from small Southern cities and felt that moving to Atlanta was the big city. Coming from Chicago I though it was odd lol. Besides the neighborhoods I've mentioned and the trees, those are the only redeeming qualities I've observed in my years living here.
That's everywhere u go your going to find people who hate wherever they live whether they live in NYC Dallas Detroit L.A etc.I know lots of people that want to move to Atlanta and those who love living here and don't want to move anywhere. Different strokes for different folks remember that. Are u seriously wanting to know why people want to be here vs somehwere else are u just trying to get a bash Atlanta fest going?

Old 06-23-2012, 08:28 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,917,598 times
Quote:

And the same can be said about California...

Old 06-23-2012, 08:44 AM

749 posts, read 888,198 times
Quote:

Yeah... I would take Midtown Atlanta over Los Altos any day of the week. Have you actually ever been to Atlanta? Or is your ignorance based soley on hear-say?

Old 06-23-2012, 09:03 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,887,456 times
Quote:
You will also find that a lot of jobs here that require master's degree but don't even pay $40k a year.
I agree with this. They expect professionals to live in a rat hole with 3 other people and share a toothbrush and bag a lunch each day.

Old 06-23-2012, 09:09 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,846,249 times
My uncle is the only relative I have in Midtown Atlanta and he has lived there for around 10 years now I think. He absolutely loves it because of the urban living and the awesome weather. Most people in my family are die-hard northeasterners, but some have moved further south (Baltimore and Atlanta) and out west (Denver). The biggest reason among all of them is the nicer weather.

Old 06-23-2012, 09:12 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,227,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
That's everywhere u go your going to find people who hate wherever they live whether they live in NYC Dallas Detroit L.A etc.I know lots of people that want to move to Atlanta and those who love living here and don't want to move anywhere. Different strokes for different folks remember that. Are u seriously wanting to know why people want to be here vs somehwere else are u just trying to get a bash Atlanta fest going?
I've already mentioned my reason for starting this thread. If it offends you that not everyone thinks Atlanta is wonderful, I don't know what to tell you. I've known plenty of people who moved here thinking Atlanta offered a better life. They realized it didn't and went back to where they came from or other cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta