Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 07:26 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,661,329 times

Advertisements

We've had like 20 of these debates stretching several threads...just want to add...ant you posted your GPA and SAT score. You weren't competitive for UGA or GT man. I'm not trying to be a jerk..but yeah
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 07:45 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,661,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
It is important for y'all to know...

Considering where Ga State was just over a decade ago (commuter school, disjointed, no campus life, mostly non-traditional students), being a large average public university with a large traditional population, lots of dorms, and an emerging campus life is something to be damn proud of--and is damn good!

Remember, as an alumnus, you will benefit from GSU's future reputation regardless of what the school was like when you attended. It is better for you to try to help and enhance your school instead of degenerating it to people that wouldn't know otherwise. Work smart.
Yeah, problem is every other school in the world and it's dog is doing the same thing. In the USG we've been passed by everyone. I don't even know how we got to comparing GSU to UGA OR Tech or a public NYU. LOL! The only people who could possibly come up with something like that are GSU students.

I agree, it's a decent school. There is potential. I don't think we are on an upward trajectory right now..as proven by the trends. We'll be ok, but not where I would like to see us. By the time we get there, everyone else will be long gone. Everything you mentioned is completely meaningless to actual students. Only alumni care. What about those of us who are trying to find jobs in this economy? Get into grad school? Pay for classes? There are people who can't even register for their classes because there are too few professors. They can't graduate even if they are the small few who take the proper number of classes each semester. They have undergrads teaching other undergrads. Our facilities are a mess. Our administration is whack and often times ALSO run by undergrads. Some of our professors are even immature. This isn't GPC. Sometimes, I feel like I go to a huge urban high school. Sometimes we even have fights in GPC. The campus security is the largest in the state, but we still have problems.

I'm just straight up ranting so sorry about that. I do agree that we should make the best of it. We're here and GSU will be our alma matar.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:31 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,136,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefRamsey View Post
We've had like 20 of these debates stretching several threads...just want to add...ant you posted your GPA and SAT score. You weren't competitive for UGA or GT man. I'm not trying to be a jerk..but yeah
I had a 3.8 GPA and 1220 SAT. That's more then high enough for UGA. People with a 3.6s and lower SATs got in the same year we applied to college. That was probably enough for Tech. I'm black too and UGA is very much affirmative action so that would have just helped even more.

I've seen the stats for the school. That's more then high enough to get into a regional school. We're not applying to a top school in the nation like Stanford or UCLA. People really think too highly of UGA here and it's hilarious. They don't know what real competitive schools are. UGA is not a competitive school to the standards of real top schools in the nation. My 3.8 GPA/1220 SAT couldn't even get me into UCLA.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:46 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,136,869 times
And for comparison sake, let's do a comparison between UCLA and UGA.

https://bigfuture.collegeboard.org/c...ity-of-georgia

UGA - 56% application admitted rate

Only 47% in the top 10% of their class.
63% with 3.75+
1210 average SAT

https://bigfuture.collegeboard.org/c...ia-los-angeles

UCLA - 26% application admitted rate

97% in the top 10% of their class
92% with 3.75+
1300 average SAT

Just saying. UGA isn't nearly as competitive as one might think.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:51 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,298,453 times
I was kinda hoping to read something about the GSU marching band on this thread. Silly me.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:56 PM

989 posts, read 1,743,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I was kinda hoping to read something about the GSU marching band on this thread. Silly me.
It was awesome, too bad this thread was hijacked by people who chooe to attend GSU and refuses to transfer, because they can't afford too or don't have the grades. The irony...

Old 01-22-2013, 01:24 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemanarmy View Post
It was awesome, too bad this thread was hijacked by people who chooe to attend GSU and refuses to transfer, because they can't afford too or don't have the grades. The irony...

Old 01-22-2013, 01:32 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Ditto! I don't know what ANY of this has to do with the GSU Marching Band, which is really really good! I saw them play an exhibition performance at the Fayette County marching band contest in Fayetteville back in October. I was really surprised at the number of GSU students and fans who were there just to see the band. The stadium was packed and they brought the house down. First time I'd ever seen a marching band attempt to play "Devil Went Down to Georgia." Awesome!

Old 01-22-2013, 01:49 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,133,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefRamsey View Post
lol@ career center part. So true. The career center is run by undergraduate students still. What. a. joke.
Oh wow....that's not true at all. They have professional staff.

Old 01-22-2013, 01:59 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,133,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Wow, man, I'm sorry to be the one to tell you, but you made the wrong choice. Even if it meant living at home instead of being on your own, a Tech degree carries so much more weight than a GSU degree. You should have just sucked it up and stayed with mom and dad or found a really dumpy pad with 3 other dudes and gone to GA Tech. You made an enormous mistake. We all do it sometimes, but I'm shocked your parents allowed you to choose GSU over Tech. They're supposed to keep kids from making mistakes like that.
Yes...and no. GT is very tough. Ridiculously tough at times. Some employers have minimum GPA's regardless of your school so your GSU GPA will get your foot in the door. But if you have a high GPA from GT, and don't assume it comes from working and studying very hard, you can write your own ticket.

I don't know about UGA. I've never heard it described as a tough school. Maybe just good teaching but not difficult if you at least apply yourself. That's not true of GT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta