Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 09:54 PM

104 posts, read 420,788 times

Advertisements

I work in Alpharetta and I'm thinking of buying in East Cobb. I work a fairly early schedule (7-4) and google maps has been showing me an average of 20-35 min commute times.

Anyone do this commute- is it realistic?

Also, any thoughts on the following elementary schools-

Sedalia Park
Blackwell
Eastvalley
Addison
Kincaid

Looking for a school with diversity in addition to great academics and a small, close knit feel.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 10:23 PM

924 posts, read 1,456,482 times
Why not just live in Alpharetta? Traffic isn't usually bad between East Cobb and Alpharetta but the two seem to have similar costs of living and quality of schools so why spend an hour in the car round trip every day when you don't have to?

Old 02-07-2013, 07:42 AM

616 posts, read 1,113,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westau View Post
Why not just live in Alpharetta? Traffic isn't usually bad between East Cobb and Alpharetta but the two seem to have similar costs of living and quality of schools so why spend an hour in the car round trip every day when you don't have to?

I would think because there is different housing stock in the two areas. For instance, we are able to find homes we like in East Cobb, but the type we like are rare/non-existent in Alpharetta.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:18 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,426,451 times
I would try to live in North Fulton to be close to your job, East Cobb is just too much of a commute either way to that area. It's rough, even with the hours you posted because of all the traffic on the surface streets because of schools. Roswell is probably a good choice for an in-between for you.

If you are not sure, try doing some test commutes during those times to see from the areas you are suggesting.

Old 02-07-2013, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westau View Post
I started off looking in Alpharetta, Johns Creek, Roswell etc but can't find much of anything in my budget. This is why I'm widening the search. Alpharetta would have been preferred.

Old 02-07-2013, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 feet tall View Post
I would think because there is different housing stock in the two areas. For instance, we are able to find homes we like in East Cobb, but the type we like are rare/non-existent in Alpharetta.
This exactly!

Old 02-07-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berkeleylake View Post
I would try to live in North Fulton to be close to your job, East Cobb is just too much of a commute either way to that area. It's rough, even with the hours you posted because of all the traffic on the surface streets because of schools. Roswell is probably a good choice for an in-between for you.

If you are not sure, try doing some test commutes during those times to see from the areas you are suggesting.
I am thinking I will probably try tomorrow afternoon, can't get worse than Friday afternoon traffic.

Old 02-07-2013, 03:13 PM

616 posts, read 1,113,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calitransplant27 View Post
This exactly!

Noticed your name "Calitransplant". There are a good number of ex-Californians in East Cobb, and they commonly state that the houses and general surroundings remind them of California. Go figure...

Old 02-07-2013, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 feet tall View Post
Noticed your name "Calitransplant". There are a good number of ex-Californians in East Cobb, and they commonly state that the houses and general surroundings remind them of California. Go figure...
Now that sounds good!

Old 02-10-2013, 04:59 PM

16,702 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calitransplant27 View Post
I work in Alpharetta and I'm thinking of buying in East Cobb. I work a fairly early schedule (7-4) and google maps has been showing me an average of 20-35 min commute times.

Anyone do this commute- is it realistic?

Also, any thoughts on the following elementary schools-

Sedalia Park
Blackwell
Eastvalley
Addison
Kincaid

Looking for a school with diversity in addition to great academics and a small, close knit feel.

Thanks!
These are all great schools. They all meet your criteria as well. The funny thing is, if I was to ever live in East Cobb again, these are the exact school districts that I would to settle in and let my child(ren) attend.

In terms of commuting, my sister-in-law commutes from East Cobb to Alpharetta and it is not too bad. I would call it an "ok/decent" commute. She lives in the Mountain View district which borders right along the Addison district that you listed--and has a small border with the Kincaid district as well.

Considering the schools you listed and your criteria, I also recommend that you add Nicholson Elementary to your list.

Now, some other posters have said that you want to look even closer to your job in Alpharetta. Considering your East Cobb list and your other criteria, you may find some of the same qualities in the following elementary school districts in the North Fulton area:

Esther Jackson*
Alpharetta
Roswell North
Hillside
Hembree Springs
Manning Oaks

*Definitely look in this district. The Martin's Landing neighborhood in particular.

I hope this helps some. Let me know if you have anymore questions. Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta