Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 02:44 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,877,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
Maybe the county should just be annexed by Atlanta?
I think the Atlanta should at least annex parts. There are a lot of neighborhoods that have an Atlanta address and feel very in-town but are outside the city limits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 02:45 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,426,451 times
On the surface, I would have thought Tucker would incorporate before those areas of Lakeside. I guess this is a sign that the unincorporated areas of Dekalb want to protect their own interests and meet the demands of growing populations. They are unhappy with their county government and many have reasons to be unsatisfied.

Perhaps in time, almost all of Dekalb will be incorporate in one way or the other. Maybe the same holds true of other core suburban counties: Dekalb, the remainder of Fulton, Cobb, etc ....

Old 02-07-2013, 02:56 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,310,733 times
The Governor and the State Legislature mismanaged Georgia for the last 10 years. The state in general has often ignored the needs of regular working people and people of color for decades.

Looking at the "Agenda 21" insanity, a badly written TSPLOST bill that was practically designed to fail in the Metro Atlanta area, giving every corporation in the state a free ride on taxes while ignoring much needed road and bridge maintenance, coming up with draconian laws to control a woman's womb, trying to opt out of Obamacare even though there is at least $40 billion dollars of corporate money sitting in the banks untaxed so it is easily affordable regardless of the protestations of the Governor, and so forth and so on...Georgia is a total hot mess.

But no one calls it out, because as long as it's the white folk's hot mess, it's all good.

Black people in this states are the true progressives, the truest of the true Scandinavian Democrats when it comes to desiring a government that actually works for the people. Yeah, there are a lot of white progressives, but a lot of times they tend to be missing when it comes to the real fight, especially in these modern times.

So why would I care about how some people(white people) perceive Dekalb County's government and schools as being mismanaged, when mismanagement is the rule at the Capitol and few people peep a word?

After all, so much work has went into redlining properties owned by African Americans and laws written throughout the decades of desegregation limiting the voting rights of African Americans(making it hard for former non-violent felons to vote, not providing easier ballot access for college students) that it all but guarantees that the people left who do vote (baby-boomers, the elderly) tend to narrowly, selfishly, and parochially. And their votes tend to be for lousy people who mismanage stuff.

But again, that sort of mismanagement is very common throughout Georgia.

So maybe I am "closed minded" to the situation of others, if to go by your perspective.

But then again, this state has been "closed minded" to the interests of working people, poor people, and people of color for decades, and no one gave a darn.

Take it or leave it, that's how I see this issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
Acidsnake,
Well the "everyone else in Dekalb" did vote in the folks that have mis-managed the county, and the folks in Lakeside are stuck with the results--and there is no reason to believe that mangement will improve, either. It is easy to be dismissive of folks that are acting in defense of their property values, when it is not your money. Consider that the folks that stayed in Stone Mountain for 30 years have seen their property values drop almost 2/3rds (and their property vlaues barely kept up with inflation in the good times). So, the folks in the Lakeside area are considering carving out an area they believe they can manage well. You can disagree if you want, but you seem at least as closed minded to the situation of others, as you claim others are.

Last edited by AcidSnake; 02-07-2013 at 04:18 PM..

Old 02-07-2013, 04:37 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,786,874 times
Acidsnake,
Why should you care what white people think? Because you claim to decry Balkanization, and that type of thinking guarantees Balkanization.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:00 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,310,733 times
Man, this stuff is getting so old and boring. Georgia never changes.

Every "new" person on here seems to have the same "southernized" mindset as the last person.

It's like I talk to the same person, whether online or in real life. Alex Jones-style insanity, gun-nut crap, welfare-queen propaganda...yadda, yadda, yadda. Almost every white guy I deal with on a regular basis is pre-programmed to spew the aforementioned nonsense.

It never ends. Will average Georgians ever wake up? Or will we stay locked up in this perpetual Civil War/Civil Rights movement time warp?

Last edited by AcidSnake; 02-07-2013 at 07:22 PM..

Old 02-07-2013, 07:30 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post

Every "new" person on here seems to have the same "southernized" mindset as the last person.

It's like I talk to the same person, whether online or in real life. Alex Jones-style insanity, gun-nut crap, welfare-queen propaganda...yadda, yadda, yadda. Almost every white guy I deal with on a regular basis is pre-programmed to spew the aforementioned nonsense.

It never ends. Will average Georgians ever wake up? Or will we stay locked up in this perpetual Civil War/Civil Rights movement time warp?

white proverb « Abagond

Old 02-07-2013, 07:32 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post

The Secret Course on Whiteness « Abagond

Old 02-07-2013, 07:32 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
I was wondering when Abagond would be called into this situation.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:51 PM

1,050 posts, read 1,691,599 times
Of course the race baiters came.

Sorry but sometimes it is nothing racial... it is all ECONOMICAL.

Minorities should be asking why are their communities appraised at such lower values causing the mill rate to go up.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:09 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,105,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaLakeSearch View Post
Of course the race baiters came.

Sorry but sometimes it is nothing racial... it is all ECONOMICAL.

Minorities should be asking why are their communities appraised at such lower values causing the mill rate to go up.
I think incorporating of tiny cities are stupid altogether. When counties in Georgia are about the size of only 4 to 5 cities in most states. But let be real this it's racial and political or else they wouldn't be trying to waste money on running a city for such a tiny area. Too many tiny cities trying to incorporate. Why not larger areas? oh that right demographics.

P.S There shouldn't be minority and separate white community in the first place.

Not a good ideal.
Separate but equal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta