Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2013, 08:29 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,875,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLHRLGUY View Post
Someone tell me, have the Falcons publicly stated that they prefer the south site or has the city just been pushing for the site? Because if the Falcons have no preference, I don't see them spending money needlessly to acquire two historic churches and get thrown into the Morris Brown headlines which is now getting traction nationally if they don't have to. I'm sure the Falcons at this point would just like to wash their hands and pick the north site. Sure it would be great to build the stadium close to two marta stops but for those fans that actually take the time to go to games or any other event that would take place at the stadium, the north site or even a suburban venue will not stop them and the falcons brass know this.
They are going to have to spend big bucks to move the power lines at the north site anyways. Plus the neighbors to the north site are already throwing a fit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 09:09 AM

859 posts, read 2,120,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
They are going to have to spend big bucks to move the power lines at the north site anyways. Plus the neighbors to the north site are already throwing a fit.
Gotcha, just getting back in town after being away for quite a few weeks so trying to catch up with all the news. Who knows what will happen but I would assume an agreement will be reached with the second church soon and the stadium will get built on the south site and parishioners of Friendship Baptist with the help of the city will ultimately find a different location other than Morris Brown to hold services.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:09 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,218,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Some of the northern neighbors are literally on the other side of the railroad tracks, and having the stadium nearby could help some of those businesses.

Meanwhile, relocating the power lines will cost $25M, which is less than the acquisition (and political) cost of buying the two churches' land.

State calls off negotiations after church refuses $6.2 million... | www.wsbtv.com

The cost of replacing the marshaling yard may be a wash with the cost of rerouting MLK around the proposed south stadium site.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Someone tell me, have the Falcons publicly stated that they prefer the south site or has the city just been pushing for the site? Because if the Falcons have no preference, I don't see them spending money needlessly to acquire two historic churches and get thrown into the Morris Brown headlines which is now getting traction nationally if they don't have to. I'm sure the Falcons at this point would just like to wash their hands and pick the north site. Sure it would be great to build the stadium close to two marta stops but for those fans that actually take the time to go to games or any other event that would take place at the stadium, the north site or even a suburban venue will not stop them and the falcons brass know this.
Agree on everything but a suburban stadium site, as Blank and the State want the new stadium downtown (if people, mainly on AJC.com, are complaining about the north site being 0.5 miles from MARTA, why are they suggesting building it in Gwinnett and Cobb, where there are no MARTA stations at all?). GWCCA and the Falcons preferred the north site all along, but the Mayor convinced them to investigate the south site and let him negotiate land acquisition on their behalf. After all of the mayor's wrangling, the Falcons likely aren't bound to purchase the churches' land, especially since their agreed deadline (with the Mayor) was August 1.

The Falcons have already begun doing preliminary investigation on the north site, and since it's state owned and much less of a PR risk, I expect them to move forward there. The Mayor himself said that the south site will be a make or break in the next 5 to 10 days, and I think the reason is that the Falcons are holding a press conference about the stadium next week.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:36 AM

859 posts, read 2,120,527 times
Ok, news to me, thanks Zanarkand.

I didn't know about the press conference slated for next week nor the Falcons preference for the north site. That changes things a bit. So the mayor it would seem, only has a little over a week to strike a deal before the Falcons pull the trigger on the north site. So momentum is definitely swinging in the north site's direction. Any like you said from a PR standpoint the north site is better because who really wants their name attached to demolishing two historic buildings and enforcing their will on a college that's hanging on by a thread all for a brand new stadium that won't have any long-term positive impact on the people of the neighborhood. As much as I praise the Mayor, the Falcons and Invest Atlanta for their plans to invest in the area we all know that area isn't going to improve. Clearly the GA dome over the last 20 yrs has done wonders for Northside. But I digress...

Old 08-19-2013, 09:45 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,875,132 times
yeah... all this talk about the stadium giving business to nearby areas... no way. without an entirely new approach to stadium design, it will be an albatross on the surrounding community, which is why everyone's opposing it.

i'm hoping for the north site because i would like to see a street grid and new atlantic station-style development on the site of the dome. use that land for an expansion of downtown, not another horrid monolith that kills all street activity within a half mile of itself.

Old 08-19-2013, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Ok, news to me, thanks Zanarkand.

I didn't know about the press conference slated for next week nor the Falcons preference for the north site. That changes things a bit. So the mayor it would seem, only has a little over a week to strike a deal before the Falcons pull the trigger on the north site. So momentum is definitely swinging in the north site's direction. Any like you said from a PR standpoint the north site is better because who really wants their name attached to demolishing two historic buildings and enforcing their will on a college that's hanging on by a thread all for a brand new stadium that won't have any long-term positive impact on the people of the neighborhood. As much as I praise the Mayor, the Falcons and Invest Atlanta for their plans to invest in the area we all know that area isn't going to improve. Clearly the GA dome over the last 20 yrs has done wonders for Northside. But I digress...
Plenty of landowners and developers are champing at the bit to develop along Northside Drive. Overall, I expect the area will improve, especially if the stadium is built north, and the proposed I-20 entrance from Northside Drive is added. Plus, the Multimodal Passenger Terminal will be another factor to spark development there and in South Downtown.

Old 08-19-2013, 06:53 PM

924 posts, read 1,456,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanarkand A East View Post

Morris Brown alums protest Friendship Baptist stadium plan (Atlanta Business Chronicle)

Ah, scandal. The last thing Arthur wants to deal with. Expect an announcement officially selecting the north site by month's end.
No one should care what the alumni of a college that should shut down for good think.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westau View Post
No one should care what the alumni of a college that should shut down for good think.
Why should it shut down for good?

Old 08-20-2013, 07:51 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,962,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
yeah... all this talk about the stadium giving business to nearby areas... no way. without an entirely new approach to stadium design, it will be an albatross on the surrounding community, which is why everyone's opposing it.

i'm hoping for the north site because i would like to see a street grid and new atlantic station-style development on the site of the dome. use that land for an expansion of downtown, not another horrid monolith that kills all street activity within a half mile of itself.
But that's not going to happen. I'm confused as to why you want the North site only because of what you'd like to see happening at the South site. Instead, consider the fact that GWCC may move the marshaling yards there or the fact that they have thought about expanding the World Congress Center onto the Dome's footprint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta