Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 10:04 AM

550 posts, read 989,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 feet tall View Post
This is a classic stereotype the ITPers have. There were Obama signs all over my neighborhood in Dunwoody in 2012, but all every hear from my friends in Decatur and Morningside is how conservative Dunwoody is, and Dunwoody housewives, and how they used to know someone who moved to East Cobb and didn't meet a democrat for 3 years, and on and on.

LOL
Ha! That made me laugh! I wouldn't say East Cobb was covered with Obama signs--but I did see more than I expected to!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2013, 11:09 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,045,444 times
I may be different than many on here - Decatur is at the top of my list of places I'd move my family to in the Metro but I am not a democrat. Maybe I will change my mind but Decatur offers a lot of what I like including shops, walkability plus great schools. That said, on social issues I don't really have a problem so maybe that makes a difference but its not political views that attracts me to Decatur.

Eventually it will probably come down to a townhouse in Decatur versus a SFH somewhere else.

Old 05-07-2013, 01:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,005 times
I have been doing the same thing as you. We centered our search on City of Decatur for the same reasons but have started opening up to other options. Yes there are $350,000 houses in Decatur... plenty... but they are all remodelers that need work. Just old, outdated, and need yard work. There is only a certain part of Decatur that is considered the city of Decatur. Then there is North Decatur outside of the city with different school zones. If you are in City of Decatur you cannot go to any Dekalb County schools and must stick to the Decatur schools unless you are doing private. From all of my month and a half every day research, I know that Vinings is not a neighborhoody feeling area. You can consider Sandy Springs where you get more for your money than you do City of Decatur. The further away you get from the City Center, the more house you get for the money. The school zones are tough if you are doing public. The "greatschools.org" website is great for researching the schools that you find houses zoned for. I'm telling you... you have to decide if walkability, small community and less house for the money is what you want or if great schools, further out a little, more house, but not as small of a community is what you desire. I am still trying to figure that out. Just when I think I have a plan, I get derailed because the schools are not good. Ugh!!!

Old 05-07-2013, 01:35 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,767,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
I may be different than many on here - Decatur is at the top of my list of places I'd move my family to in the Metro but I am not a democrat. Maybe I will change my mind but Decatur offers a lot of what I like including shops, walkability plus great schools. That said, on social issues I don't really have a problem so maybe that makes a difference but its not political views that attracts me to Decatur.
It's interesting how people rank politics in their living criteria. We have two friends who said they'd never move to Atlanta because it was too conservative. Go figure!

Old 05-08-2013, 12:22 AM
VJP

721 posts, read 1,728,062 times
I don't put any credence in politics. I'm an atheist and a libertarian - we don't have areas screaming for us to move in based solely on that criteria! That said we like EC and Decatur and are torn over the two for when we move out of south dekalb.

Old 05-08-2013, 08:03 AM

5 posts, read 9,047 times
Interesting discussion. Although I consider myself liberal, I think I am most comfortable in an area with a variety of signs, so to speak (even better = no signs!). That said, we are going to look at East Cobb, and Decatur, and Loring Heights, and maybe a couple of other neighborhoods. Thanks again, all. I'll give you all my out-of-towner's perspective after we visit. It'll come down to trade-offs, like everything else in life!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta