Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2018, 05:33 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,962,274 times

Advertisements

If and when a 2nd airport gets built, it would be 50-60 miles outside of the city due to NIMBYs. Everyone likes the idea of having quick access to the airport until it's time to live near one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2018, 09:12 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,290,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alco89 View Post
If and when a 2nd airport gets built, it would be 50-60 miles outside of the city due to NIMBYs. Everyone likes the idea of having quick access to the airport until it's time to live near one.
I think you'll find that people who feel that way are uppity in general. Or racist. I moved close to the airport last year and I love it. There is usually little to no airplane noise (which has been surprising), I can go sit on restaurant patios and watch planes come and go, I can be home from a trip within minutes of exiting the airport, and I rarely have to wait more than two minutes for a MARTA train. To be fair, as with all airports, there are industrial areas around that aren't inviting, and some other drawbacks, but it's easy, particularly in Atlanta, to find good places to live near the airport.

Old 03-20-2018, 09:49 AM

4,685 posts, read 6,135,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I think you'll find that people who feel that way are uppity in general. Or racist. I moved close to the airport last year and I love it. There is usually little to no airplane noise (which has been surprising), I can go sit on restaurant patios and watch planes come and go, I can be home from a trip within minutes of exiting the airport, and I rarely have to wait more than two minutes for a MARTA train. To be fair, as with all airports, there are industrial areas around that aren't inviting, and some other drawbacks, but it's easy, particularly in Atlanta, to find good places to live near the airport.

You must live either directly North or South of the airport, because if you are East or West in the paths of the runways, you will have PLENTY of noise.

Old 03-20-2018, 11:39 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,290,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
You must live either directly North or South of the airport, because if you are East or West in the paths of the runways, you will have PLENTY of noise.
Well, sure, but the comment I was responding to was about living near an airport. There are plenty of good places to live near airports. I obviously understand that it would be loud if you lived right next to the end of the runway.

Old 03-20-2018, 12:52 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,856,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
I remember way back in the early 1990s, a study commissioned to build a second airport and a site in Gwinnett was chosen. Well, 25 years later...NOTHING! I remember talk of talk of converting Dobbins way back when as well. Again NOTHING. Talk of expanding HJ International further? It took $3 billion and how many years to add just ONE runway 12 years ago? Atlanta/Georgia State governor need to get SERIOUS and get a second damn passenger airport, at least one that serves domestic travel, like Love Field in Dallas or Midway in Chicago or Hobby in Houston (until SW built an international terminal 3 years ago).

No metro area with over 5 million people or over serving 50 million in annual passenger traffic should have a single airport! NYC, D.C., San Francisco/Oakland, D/FW, Houston, Chicago, L.A., and southeast Florida all have at least two airports people can use. Hell, if you live between San Antonio and Austin, you are within 35miles of each city's airports.
Please refer the Airport Master Plan thread. HJIA is the only airport in the world to handle 100M passengers and does it efficiently.
//www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...plan-eyes.html

Old 03-22-2018, 08:37 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,695,049 times
I found this new blurb on the Norwegian Airlines expansion into the Chicago market via Chicago's biz news publication.
News of the expansion plans by that carrier for further entry into the North American market first became known to me late last year.
Has anyone heard anything about a similar move into the Atlanta market by Norwegian?

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...-gets-bad.html

Old 03-22-2018, 10:05 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,437,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
I found this new blurb on the Norwegian Airlines expansion into the Chicago market via Chicago's biz news publication.
News of the expansion plans by that carrier for further entry into the North American market first became known to me late last year.
Has anyone heard anything about a similar move into the Atlanta market by Norwegian?

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...-gets-bad.html
Nope, but with British Airways, Virgin Atlantic, and Delta having flights to Heathrow. I'm sure Norwegian should be looking at the Atlanta market.

Old 03-22-2018, 12:40 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,767,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I don't think your wrong, but I also think it depends on where.

This is a very good map produced researching the noise affects of airports and freeways

https://maps.bts.dot.gov/arcgis/apps...464cc0e9d5c9fb

I think the flight path alignment affects it the most.

Now two things are worth noting. Parts of this map are out-dated. PDK has removed one of the cross-winds runway, which hasn't been altered on the map.

Also, on the smaller airports the extreme extents only occur when certain types of planes and flight patterns are in-use, which they aren't at all times.

Old 03-22-2018, 05:42 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,553,272 times
Cities like Chicago, Dallas, and Houston have airports because the older airport (Midway, Love, and Hobby) got replaced by a newer airport with room to grow into (ORD, DFW, and IAH).

Atlanta has chosen to continually to expand and rebuild its airport. I don’t think a regional commission or the state will invest in an airport that could serve ten million people per year. I think at best you’d get an airport opening thirty miles from Downtown that is served by Allegient with flights to Florida and to underutilized airports in the Northeast.

Old 03-23-2018, 03:50 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,437,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccernerd View Post
Cities like Chicago, Dallas, and Houston have airports because the older airport (Midway, Love, and Hobby) got replaced by a newer airport with room to grow into (ORD, DFW, and IAH).

Atlanta has chosen to continually to expand and rebuild its airport. I don’t think a regional commission or the state will invest in an airport that could serve ten million people per year. I think at best you’d get an airport opening thirty miles from Downtown that is served by Allegient with flights to Florida and to underutilized airports in the Northeast.
True but the city decision to turn Candler into Hartsfield was a wise one. Many of the newer airports copy Hartfields parallel runway model. I’m just amazed at how many people this airport moves efficiently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta