Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 08:42 PM

90 posts, read 412,758 times

Advertisements

Hi
I'm new on the forum and just received a transfer from Fort Lauderdale to Atlanta. My company has an office off of 75 (inside 285 if I remember correctly).

Can anyone tell me how far of a drive I can expect from Duluth ? Due to the location of the office we are also considerig Marietta. Can anyone tell me what the biggest difference is between the two areas ?

I recently sold my townhome in S. Florida and my fiance and I are trying to get a new start and would like to ensure that we are in an area that has great schools... and one that we won't have to sell and run in 5 years (we had to do that here).

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2006, 03:18 AM

985 posts, read 5,760,500 times
East Cobb (unincorporated part of Marietta) is probably the choice. Duluth is too far away (more than one hour driving).

Old 10-13-2006, 07:06 AM

Default Thanks!

Thanks... can anyone tell me about Marietta schools ? I've heard Duluth has pretty good schools, and would like to know if there is a part of Marietta that is comparable.

Also is there a certain side of Marietta to stay away from ? I will be visiting the area in 2 months but wanted to get as much information about the town as possible.

Old 10-13-2006, 07:16 AM

985 posts, read 5,760,500 times
East Cobb (Walton, Pope and Lassiter) actually have better schools than Duluth high, in my opinion. Walton is probably arguable best public high school in Atlanta along with NorthView High (old fulton side of Duluth and new city John Creek). Just remember, those schools are not in city of Marietta, but in incorporated side of Marietta.

But avoid the city of Marietta schools. Those schools are pretty bad.

Old 10-13-2006, 07:35 AM

Any info on the racial makeup of that area and housing costs ? I'm african american and I would like to stay away from any part of town that would not be open to me and my family. Please be honest, if there will be burning crosses or whatever I'd like to know! I'm planning on purchasing a home somewhere between $250K and $300K. I appreciate your help!!

Old 10-13-2006, 11:31 AM

233 posts, read 906,968 times
Default What about Kennesaw?

I used to live in Marietta, and do not recall any racial tension like "cross burning" on the lawn. -I do know what you mean. You would like to be comfortable and at peace.

Many of the people from my old office including many VP's live in Kennesaw. The mall and shopping area is really nice. It is congested, but if you have a family, it could be worth it.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-13-2006, 11:45 AM

Default sure why not!

I've heard of Kennesaw. I did some research and it looks like East Cobb is pretty pricey... is there a big difference between East and West Cobb ? I saw a house online that i loved and it goes to Hillgrove High School... any thoughts on that area ?

Thanks for the response. And yes I'm just looking for a quiet, peaceful place (aren't we all ? )

Old 10-14-2006, 07:57 AM

good to know... ok now I'll write it on my list of potential areas Thanks!!

Old 10-14-2006, 12:43 PM

45 posts, read 61,416 times
I think you have a good idea with respect to the areas that you have shown interest in. I personally would pick Duluth over Marietta. Understand, I am a Realtor and I continually watch the market and the proposed changes taking place. I foresee Duluth as the better area when speaking in terms of your investment potential (ROI). Many new plans taking place there and the city is involved, hence community enhancements are embraced, Whenever that happens the value of your property will rise if you are near this area. The schools in Duluth are good, but there are also some schools that I would not recommend as being great. Berkmar for example is not the best of schools when compared to the others within a 15 mile radius. I would also consider Suwanee. It is a great town and has lots of very cool pockets. At 250-300k you really have good options including:
Sugarloaf, Hamilton Mill, Richland, and many more.
If you want to move further south, like Atlanta you can find a great home in Midtown, Grant Park, Inman Park and its surrounding revitalized areas for about that price. I personally have done transactions in every area I have mentioned. Let me give you an example I presently have a home in Grant Park 4 bedrooms, 2.5 bath, all hardwood, granite counter tops, stainless steel and it's about 2000 sq ft. That is in Atlanta, it's going for 337k. Now in Duluth I have a 4/2.5 some hardwoods, laminated counter tops and a finished basement and about 2900 sq ft, for 315k. Lot more house, and lot more lot for the money. The only difference is the Atlanta home will appreciate much quicker and it is closer to much more opportunities.
You had mentioned race. I think it is fair to say the entire state is very diverse. I personally have not a racial confrontation. I think you will always face ignorance anywhere in our country and others. I think you will enjoy becoming a Georgian and I wish you the best of luck.

Last edited by xxman777; 10-14-2006 at 04:20 PM.. Reason: No Advertising

Old 10-14-2006, 01:39 PM

Thanks for the info. My only concern with Duluth is the far commute to my job. 75 within the 285 loop. I've heard from other responders that this could be up to 1 to 1.5 hrs ? Thats horrible! Are there any other areas close to the side of town as my job that you would recommend ? I figured that East Cobb may be the best return on our investment if we make sure to get within a great school district. We're definetely looking to be outside of Atlanta. the bigger the house and the land the better! Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta