Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 06:50 PM

4 posts, read 4,776 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are moving to the Atlanta area within a year.She is a Life Coach and I am changing careers to the real estate arena. We are both military veterans and racialdiversity is important to us. We have a daughter who will attend high school inthe area we settle in. We are currently considering the cities/town of: Powder Springs, Tyrone, and Fayetteville. Ourtop priorities are: Quality school, diversity, buying power (home), commuteto/from Atlanta. What do you think about the areas we are considering moving to? Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 07:10 PM

194 posts, read 317,400 times
Hills, look into the Smyrna/Vinings area. It meets all your criteria.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:32 PM

Thanks boo radley. I'm looking at those areas now. Come on Georgia family bring a native son home. I need more input.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:46 PM

7,358 posts, read 6,527,927 times
I'd look toward any community along GA-400. If you take transit, your commute will be a lot better and with less stress. Cities like Dunwoody, Sandy Springs, Roswell, and Alpharetta. There may be slightly less diversity, but it's far from nonexistent.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:56 PM

1,637 posts, read 2,630,536 times
Lilburn-Duluth area

Old 07-17-2013, 09:28 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hills View Post
My wife and I are moving to the Atlanta area within a year.She is a Life Coach and I am changing careers to the real estate arena. We are both military veterans and racialdiversity is important to us. We have a daughter who will attend high school inthe area we settle in. We are currently considering the cities/town of: Powder Springs, Tyrone, and Fayetteville. Ourtop priorities are: Quality school, diversity, buying power (home), commuteto/from Atlanta. What do you think about the areas we are considering moving to? Any suggestions?

I think the areas you are considering are very good. For those areas you already mentioned, look in the Hillgrove High District (Powder Springs), Sandy Creek High District (Tyrone), and Fayette County High District (Fayetteville). They will all meet your criteria.

Now--there are many, many other areas of Metro Atlanta that will also meet your mentioned criteria. You need to give some more specifics, otherwise the list will be too long.

Get more specific with:
What kind of diversity? Group/ethnic make-up and percentages?
Home Price?
Type of Neighborhood?
Type of House?
Commute to which part of Metro Atlanta?
How long of a commute is tolerable?
Type of Area (urban, suburban, exurban, semi-rural, etc.)?
Which side/part of the Metro Atlanta?

Old 07-17-2013, 10:23 PM

Default re: aries4118

My family and I are looking for an area that is open-minded and accepting of different races, life styles and spiritual worship. My wife and I know that these areas do exist in the south and is not phenomenal. Basically, we are looking for a strong community. We are looking to live in suburban or exurban area. We want to "feel" the pulse of Atlanta but have the ability to step away from the noise and relax. We are looking to spend 150K-200K (+/- 10%). A commute time of 30 minutes is acceptable however we understand that this could easily double during peak traffic times. We are looking at areas that are west of I-75 but this is not a hardline issue. We prefer a 3/3 or 4/3 with a basement. My wife and I will do a fair amount of work from home so the ability to set up a home office is important.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:04 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,500,133 times
Quote:
Quote:
My family and I are looking for an area that is open-minded and accepting of different races, life styles and spiritual worship. My wife and I know that these areas do exist in the south and is not phenomenal. Basically, we are looking for a strong community. We are looking to live in suburban or exurban area. We want to "feel" the pulse of Atlanta but have the ability to step away from the noise and relax. We are looking to spend 150K-200K (+/- 10%). A commute time of 30 minutes is acceptable however we understand that this could easily double during peak traffic times. We are looking at areas that are west of I-75 but this is not a hardline issue. We prefer a 3/3 or 4/3 with a basement. My wife and I will do a fair amount of work from home so the ability to set up a home office is important.
Powder Springs (Hillgrove and McEachern High School attendance zones), Tyrone (Sandy Creek High School), and Fayetteville (Fayette County and Whitewater High School attendance zones) are all really great areas with exceptionally strong schools that enjoy an exceptionally high level of community support.

You really cannot go wrong with any of the 3 towns that you have focused in on.

Though we might be able to help you out even more if you answered the questions that aries4118 posed in their post, particularly the questions regarding which part of the metro area you will be commuting to and from.

Knowing which part of the metro area you will be commuting to and from is important because of Metro Atlanta's sometimes-horrific rush hour commutes (commutes which can be particularly horrific if there is a serious traffic accident, increment weather or even just a very light mist and slightly wet pavement).

In severely rush hour congested Metro Atlanta, relocation decisions are best made with the likely length and severity of a rush hour commute in mind.

Old 07-18-2013, 06:50 AM

744 posts, read 2,482,638 times
Glad that someone else mentioned the Sandy Creek district of Fayette County . I would also add the White Water district and Starr's Mill district to the list for Fayette County.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:49 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:

Based on your additional criteria and your aforementioned criteria, here are my total suggestions:

In Cobb County
North Cobb High District (Kennesaw/Acworth)
Kennesaw Mountain High District (Kennesaw)
Hillgrove High District (Powder Springs/Marietta)

In Paulding County
Hiram High District (Hiram/Dallas)

In Douglas County
Alexander High District (Douglasville/Villa Rica)
Chapel Hill High District (Douglasville)

In Fayette County
Sandy Creek High District (Tyrone/Fayetteville/Fairburn)
Fayette County High District (Fayetteville)

In Coweta County
East Coweta High District (Sharpsburg/Newnan)
Newnan High District (Newnan)

I hope this helps some. Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta