Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 11:13 AM

2,061 posts, read 3,743,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
I think that Atlanta should find a way to play up the whole "City in the Forest" thing,and continue it into the city somehow. We really take it for granted, but flying into Atlanta feels much different than flying into Houston, NY or LA because of the trees.
I agree with that point.

I remember when I was young, when I found out that Seattle's nickname was "Emerald City" I felt like that name should belong to Atlanta instead.
Once I finally visited Seattle, I saw that yes, it IS very green, however Atlanta still has more trees, But Seattle did have darker greens (with all of those deep green evergreens) and definitely enough to be worthy of its nickname. I was just mad that they got to the name first.

"City in the Forest" could work if done right. Atlanta needs to start planting a lot more trees IN the city to keep that from fading away with development. We should be known for having all our major streets lined with trees. Large trees. And Atlanta certainly needs to plant a LOT more dogwoods and cherry blossoms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 11:14 AM

6,582 posts, read 12,091,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erick295 View Post

That's what happens when Atlanta tries to create iconic things.
If you think about it, the Millennium Gate shares a similarity with Tokyo Tower. Both are replicas of Paris icons.

Old 07-28-2013, 11:30 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,145,643 times
Quote:
I think that Atlanta should find a way to play up the whole "City in the Forest" thing,and continue it into the city somehow. We really take it for granted, but flying into Atlanta feels much different than flying into Houston, NY or LA because of the trees.
Cleveland bills itself as "The Forest City".

The Forest City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-28-2013, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
If you think about it, the Millennium Gate shares a similarity with Tokyo Tower. Both are replicas of Paris icons.
True... But is that a good thing?
Seems Tokyo certainly did it different.

I don't care for replicas... Leave that to the Chinese...

Copycat cities Western replicas are going up in China, North Korea - YouTube

Yiujapu: The replica Manhattan (but I don't see it)

China's Manhattan Replica: Yujiapu - YouTube

Replica Austrian town

China's Replica of Austrian UNESCO Village Opens Amidst Controversy - YouTube

I guess the phrase "build it, and they will come" doesn't work in every situation, huh?

Chinese Ghost Cities - 60 Minutes Report - YouTube

China's Largest Ghost City? - YouTube

Old 07-28-2013, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post

Well, that comes from an observation of a heavily forested Cleveland area in the 1830s... Cleveland ought not to hold on to that name, cause it is definitely not as forested as Atlanta.

Old 07-28-2013, 11:58 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,792,301 times
With the "World's Busiest Airport." I think Atlanta has a better chance at owning the name "City in the Forest" to the world. Just think about folks flying in and thinking "it really is the 'City in the Forest'. It would help if there was more in the city to tie that name with visitors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post

Old 07-28-2013, 12:30 PM

I'm interested in hearing more about the idea of a hologram containing pyramid structure...

What would that look like? Where would it look best? How tall would it be? Will it be pyramid shaped or some other shape?

After imagining the idea myself, here are my thoughts:

1. A glass pyramid.
I imagine a tall, pyramid shaped structure with its outside surface made of glass, and standing about 40 stories (at its point) above Centennial Park from the stop of the building where Ruth's Chris is. 1 side facing WOCC, 1 side facing The Olympic rings fountain/Skyview, 1 side facing the CFHOF/GWCC, and the 4th side facing over top of a building at the Hilton next to GA Aquarium.
The function of the tower would be: ADVERTISEMENT. And it would house a multitude of antennas. Cellphone tower antennas for all cell services, TV, radio, etc... And the outside would be a surface to display holographic images advertising stuff, around the clock.
Would work well with the tower that may be built next to it that is set to be named "Times Square South"

2. A Globe
The 2nd idea would be a Large Globe/Sphere standing about 20 stories tall rising from somewhere in Midtown or Piedmont Park

Old 07-28-2013, 01:22 PM

16,720 posts, read 29,584,810 times
Quote:
Yes.

Old 07-28-2013, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
I agree with that point.

I remember when I was young, when I found out that Seattle's nickname was "Emerald City" I felt like that name should belong to Atlanta instead.
Once I finally visited Seattle, I saw that yes, it IS very green, however Atlanta still has more trees, But Seattle did have darker greens (with all of those deep green evergreens) and definitely enough to be worthy of its nickname. I was just mad that they got to the name first.

"City in the Forest" could work if done right. Atlanta needs to start planting a lot more trees IN the city to keep that from fading away with development. We should be known for having all our major streets lined with trees. Large trees. And Atlanta certainly needs to plant a LOT more dogwoods and cherry blossoms.

Yes.

Old 07-28-2013, 02:03 PM

Quote:
With the "World's Busiest Airport." I think Atlanta has a better chance at owning the name "City in the Forest" to the world. Just think about folks flying in and thinking "it really is the 'City in the Forest'. It would help if there was more in the city to tie that name with visitors.

Exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta