Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 06:54 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,876,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Private buses like the one on Buford Highway are cheaper than MARTA. The private street car lines that used to cris-cross Atlanta were a nickle in the early 1900s (About a $1.50 today) .

I don't think a sign by the side of the road is going to break the bank. But I am fine charging for use of facilities.
No, but the taxpayers of Fulton and DeKalb counties, and city of Atlanta did pay for that and if a private company wants to use it, they should pay a fee. Nothing is free in this world, except for roads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 07:33 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,880,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
No, but the taxpayers of Fulton and DeKalb counties, and city of Atlanta did pay for that and if a private company wants to use it, they should pay a fee.
I am agreeing with you. If a private company wants to use a public bus stop they should pay a fee per use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Nothing is free in this world, except for roads.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:59 AM

7,360 posts, read 6,531,454 times
Quote:
Airports (That are not already private) and the FAA are funded by user fees paid when you buy a ticket. Government is not subsidizing airlines. In fact international agreements prevent it (beyond a few really small domestic airports): Open skies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The FAA is not completely paid for by user fees. The last figure I saw said 74% was. Also, I see nothing in that link that says the government can't subsidize airlines.
Quote:
And how profitable do you think housing would be if the government were building houses with tax dollars and giving them away for free? Even if the private build house were in a better location and was better preferred, few would be able to "afford" hundreds of thousands over a free government one.
Your apples to oranges comparisons make no sense especially since transportation isn't given away for free like I've repeated seemingly a hundred times now, and don't apply and you know it, now you're just starting to troll.
Quote:
Transportation is not special in this regard. Moving people around is very profitable. Plane Travel: Airline Profits To Hit Record High | TIME.com
Again, that's because of the subsidized airports and FAA. Take a look at essential air services for instance.
Quote:
Why not even let government own the roads and rails, pay for them with user fees, and have private businesses run the trains and busses? Even if you think airports are being subsidized you should be able to agree to that as working.
It might work, but it was and still is a pretty big disaster when the UK privatized its rail network like that. Even so, many of those train operating companies are still fairly heavily subsidized, it's indirect of course, but it's still taxpayer dollars over there, going to pay for the trains.

Old 01-16-2014, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
The FAA is not completely paid for by user fees. The last figure I saw said 74% was. Also, I see nothing in that link that says the government can't subsidize airlines.

Your apples to oranges comparisons make no sense especially since transportation isn't given away for free like I've repeated seemingly a hundred times now, and don't apply and you know it, now you're just starting to troll.

Again, that's because of the subsidized airports and FAA. Take a look at essential air services for instance.

It might work, but it was and still is a pretty big disaster when the UK privatized its rail network like that. Even so, many of those train operating companies are still fairly heavily subsidized, it's indirect of course, but it's still taxpayer dollars over there, going to pay for the trains.
EAS only goes to really tiny airports and basically none of the large profitable airlines take advantage of it.

I think we are closer than you think. I know that there are challenges effective collecting funding for transportation today. I am not saying that we should hand over everything to companies without consideration. However, I do think we would benefit from collecting as much highway funding as possible from gas tax and tolls.

Old 01-16-2014, 04:12 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,393,037 times
Quote:
Private buses like the one on Buford Highway are cheaper than MARTA. The private street car lines that used to cris-cross Atlanta were a nickle in the early 1900s (About a $1.50 today)
So, a taxpayer subsidized MARTA ride today costs a dollar more than an inflation adjusted non-taxpayer subsidized street car ride in the early 1900's. Hmm. Take away the taxpayer subsidy, and how much would a MARTA ride cost? My guess is that the poor couldn't afford it. So, we take PUBLIC transit and turn it into PRIVATE transit for the more fortunate. I just don't think that is is a societally conscionable decision.

Old 01-16-2014, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
So, a taxpayer subsidized MARTA ride today costs a dollar more than an inflation adjusted non-taxpayer subsidized street car ride in the early 1900's. Hmm. Take away the taxpayer subsidy, and how much would a MARTA ride cost? My guess is that the poor couldn't afford it. So, we take PUBLIC transit and turn it into PRIVATE transit for the more fortunate. I just don't think that is is a societally conscionable decision.
The correct conclusion is true free-market competition drives down price more than the current subsidies MARTA is getting. This experiment has already been tested in housing. Better to give the poor vouchers than try to have the government build housing projects.

Old 01-16-2014, 05:08 PM

7,360 posts, read 6,531,454 times
Quote:
The correct conclusion is true free-market competition drives down price more than the current subsidies MARTA is getting.
Prove it. Show us a business plan where paying the entire cost of a transportation network's costs with your oh so vaunted user fees actually works while lowering prices. Dive into MARTA's financial records and reconfigure them to show us numerically how it would work. Heck, I'll be nice with this challenge. You can assume the ridership won't change at all.
Quote:
This experiment has already been tested in housing. Better to give the poor vouchers than try to have the government build housing projects.
Care to show us this testing and its results? I'm not being snarky, if it works, I'd like to see this test.

Old 01-16-2014, 05:46 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,393,037 times
Quote:
The correct conclusion is true free-market competition drives down price more than the current subsidies MARTA is getting. This experiment has already been tested in housing. Better to give the poor vouchers than try to have the government build housing projects.
So you are not proposing truly privatized public transport? Are you advocating giving the poor vouchers financed by the taxpayers like housing Section 8 vouchers are?

Old 01-16-2014, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Prove it. Show us a business plan where paying the entire cost of a transportation network's costs with your oh so vaunted user fees actually works while lowering prices. Dive into MARTA's financial records and reconfigure them to show us numerically how it would work. Heck, I'll be nice with this challenge. You can assume the ridership won't change at all.
No. You prove otherwise. I have given multiple examples where user-fees / private transit works better than in the past. You prove why those are a fluke. Also, ridership is higher on private transit services because they have an incentive to attract more customers and increase their profit. Compare private transit services and see.

Quote:
Care to show us this testing and its results? I'm not being snarky, if it works, I'd like to see this test.
So you prefer housing projects and feel they were a success?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark
So you are not proposing truly privatized public transport?
Yes, as it is already effective other places and was in America's past. This requires roads being 100% user fee funded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark
Are you advocating giving the poor vouchers financed by the taxpayers like housing Section 8 vouchers are?
A Basic income would be the best solution.

Old 01-16-2014, 06:57 PM

32,027 posts, read 36,803,640 times
Quote:
A Basic income would be the best solution.
What would be the criteria for being given a basic income?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta