Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 05:52 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,784,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMOSS View Post
It's fine in the daytime. Dunwoody starts NORTH of this area.....Perimeter at night can have trouble. More so around the mall and East of there.....not what it used to be....good restaurants and bars though....
I have never felt unsafe in that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2007, 01:40 PM

4 posts, read 15,072 times
Default Crime is terrible

Dont move here. People are shooting each other left and right. Why right out side of my office window, three people have been shot dead this morning. And right now some buys are robbing the bank next door, and rapping some cows.

I am telling you this is the worst town I have ever lived in. Yesterday 16 people on the bus I was riding on just took out their knives and guns and went at it. THis is pretty typical of Atlanta so I hope you are well armed. Personally I keep a 357 and a machette on me at all times.

Old 11-29-2007, 01:53 PM

857 posts, read 4,880,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlee857610 View Post
Dont move here. People are shooting each other left and right. Why right out side of my office window, three people have been shot dead this morning. And right now some buys are robbing the bank next door, and rapping some cows.

I am telling you this is the worst town I have ever lived in. Yesterday 16 people on the bus I was riding on just took out their knives and guns and went at it. THis is pretty typical of Atlanta so I hope you are well armed. Personally I keep a 357 and a machette on me at all times.
I know you are trying to be sarcastic, but unfortunately you are pretty close to the truth. (except about the cows getting raped... they just get tipped)

What I would suggest to someone thinking about moving here is... come and visit for a few days. While you are here, watch the local news every morning and every evening. Then make up your own mind.
Where I live is relatively safe, but I often feel psychologically affected by all of the crap I hear on the news and I sometimes feel like I just want to get the hell out of Dodge!

Old 12-04-2007, 03:09 PM

117 posts, read 620,037 times
Atlanta is relatively safe all over. Now if you frequent Drug/poverty infested areas for whatever reason, and this may be by accident or you just have too for commuting, etc. , then crime is usually higher in these areas. LoL. Common sense right?

127 murders for the year thus far. Of course there is more crime than murder, but it is just an example. If you could research the circumstances, you would find what I said above to be true in many of these cases.

Remember: Crimes are typically commited by those you know are who know you.

be Safe!

Old 12-05-2007, 04:24 PM

857 posts, read 4,880,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beefchuck View Post
Atlanta is relatively safe all over. Now if you frequent Drug/poverty infested areas for whatever reason, and this may be by accident or you just have too for commuting, etc. , then crime is usually higher in these areas. LoL. Common sense right?

127 murders for the year thus far. Of course there is more crime than murder, but it is just an example. If you could research the circumstances, you would find what I said above to be true in many of these cases.

Remember: Crimes are typically commited by those you know are who know you.

be Safe!
I don't think that Atlanta, per se, is relatively safe, but many of the surrounding counties are. Before looking at houses I think one should look at the crime statistics for the various counties and decide where to look.

If you watch the news long enough you will get a sense of where NOT to buy.

Old 12-05-2007, 04:40 PM

483 posts, read 2,094,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthmeetsSouth View Post
Where I live is relatively safe, but I often feel psychologically affected by all of the crap I hear on the news and I sometimes feel like I just want to get the hell out of Dodge!
TV can only make money by selling ads, and the price they charge for the ads depends upon how many eyeballs are glued to the TV screen. Given that, do you think they are EVER going to encourage people to go out for a picnic or a run in the park? Of course not. They will do anything they can to keep the population scared to death of ever leaving their homes, especially during prime time.
OF COURSE they emphasize the dangers.

Old 12-05-2007, 09:04 PM

1 posts, read 2,374 times
Hearing all this is a disappointment. I am thinking of relocating to Atlanta. Bummmer.

Old 12-05-2007, 10:05 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,104,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamonasingh View Post
Hearing all this is a disappointment. I am thinking of relocating to Atlanta. Bummmer.
Any big city is gonna have its bad places. Atlanta has challenging and perhaps even unsafe areas, but most of the metro is fine.

Old 12-06-2007, 11:44 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,247,257 times
Absolutely shocking and disturbing... bad enough for it to ever happen, but @ this age?

The story about the teenagers and what they did to that puppy is one of the most horrific things I have ever heard of. I remember that story back when it happened. I remember how livid I was... I had forgot about it, but its coming back now. I am glad they got 10 years... should have got life in prison. Behavior like that is totally unacceptable... not to mention the threats they made to the others.

Its not just Atlanta... its all over... there are good and bad areas everywhere... although there seems to be bad in more areas in the big cities, because there are so many more people and the chances are higher. I remember last summer when some kids were charged in a SMALL, RURAL town in Iowa for torturing an opossum to death. It was very disturbing, so I will not mention the horrific details. It would give you nightmares.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
It's not just that anymore.

Here we have a 15 year old who carjacked a guy and shot him 5 times: Three juvenile suspects in custody for alleged carjacking | The Story Atlanta

We have teens who think it's funny to cook puppies in ovens: Teens sentenced for cooking puppy in oven - Crime & courts - MSNBC.com

You can read stories over and over on the local news sites. Kids as young as TEN participating in home invasions. 12 year olds robbing convenience stores at gunpoint. I guess by the time the next generation come around we can expect kids in kinder-care to be packing heat and attacking people on the streets.

Old 12-07-2007, 08:05 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,906,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
Absolutely shocking and disturbing... bad enough for it to ever happen, but @ this age?

The story about the teenagers and what they did to that puppy is one of the most horrific things I have ever heard of.
I have no idea what has happened to the latest generation of kids in the 8-18 year old bracket. It's amazing. Burning pets, stealing pets when they rob a house, beating up elderly residents who are in the homes they burglarize - kids who aren't even in their teens yet involved in carjackings and home invasions. Every generation has it's share of bad apples, but it's like the bad ones in this particular generation aren't just bad - they're downright evil; absolutely NO sense of right or wrong or any value of a human or animal life at all. None. It's very scary.

Latest one, too: In South Fulton alone, over 655 burglaries so far and most involve teens. 6-5-5 in just that one area alone - they say a 13% increase over the year before. Story: 11Alive.com - Teen Burglary Task Force Created (http://www.11alive.com/news/article_news.aspx?storyid=107609 - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta