Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 04:59 PM

10 posts, read 13,627 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

My wife and I are a military family, who may have a move to Dobbins AFB in our future. We currently reside in the DC area, and hate it. I grew up on the eastern side of ATL when i was really young, and my mother still lives near lake lanier, so i know GA ok, just not this particular area. Few questions for you.

1. We currently have a 9 month old, so schools are not a huge deal right this second, but it is a consideration for the future... Which area has the best schools?

2. we'll be looking to rent a good sized home when we get there, 3-4 BR's, nice back yard, garage, etc... Budget will be around 1400, but could go a lil higher for the right house... Is this a realistic budget? What areas would we be able to get the most bang for our buck?

3. We are both registered independents, who tend to lean left (please, no hate, just info), as well as non religious... how "red" is this area? i know certain areas of GA that i've been to, telling someone you dont go to church or didnt vote for bush will get you shunned from any and all social circumstances... How much of this is in the area? How "in your face" are the religious of the area?

4. Traffic is somewhat a consideration, however, coming from the recently rated worst traffic area in the country (really, its that bad), and having lived in the NYC area as well as Miami, it has become a kind of norm for me with my daily drive. How bad is the commute from Kennesaw and near areas to Dobbins?

Any other input you guys can give on the area will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2013, 09:17 PM

37 posts, read 76,311 times
Marietta is hard to define because it's just so big! Basically, Marietta is in three parts: West Cobb, East Cobb, and "Marietta city proper," which is kind of in the middle. I can drive 45 minutes from my home in West Cobb to East Cobb and still be in Marietta!

1. The better schools will be in West Cobb (way West), North Cobb, and East Cobb. West and East can both have Marietta addresses. North will be Kennesaw. I think East Cobb schools are usually higher up in state rankings overall.

2. I think that's a reasonable budget for a house rental, especially for the Kennesaw area. You should be able to easily find what you're looking for.

3. Cobb County in general is pretty conservative, historically. I live here, and I'm a liberal registered Dem. I don't feel weird or out of place anywhere. Honestly, there's a good mix of people here so I don't think political leanings really matter much. No one pressures me to go to church.

4. The commute from Kennesaw will be bad-ish since you'll be headed from a suburb towards the city. It might be easier to commute from East or West Cobb since it won't be a North/South commute. But... It's close enough that it probably wouldn't be too bad, and there are always surface streets instead of the interstate.

Overall, I really like Kennesaw unless you are working in Atlanta. There's tons of shopping there, good schools, and housing is affordable. West Cobb is nice but you have to drive to Kennesaw (or Smyrna) for shopping. East Cobb has a ton of stuff there, too, and good schools, but it's more expensive and the traffic there is always bad.

Last edited by jane078; 11-22-2013 at 09:29 PM..

Old 11-22-2013, 10:14 PM

329 posts, read 431,185 times
Marietta. Marietta city schools are quite good. Also you don't have to keep a gun in Marietta unless you want to keep a gun. It is required in Kennesaw.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:19 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,855,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WmMeeker View Post
Marietta. Marietta city schools are quite good. Also you don't have to keep a gun in Marietta unless you want to keep a gun. It is required in Kennesaw.
As jane078 mentions above about Marietta being areas outside of the city limits, much of the area around Kennesaw will have a Kennesaw address but not be in the city limits. The gun thing is only applicable to the city of Kennesaw.

For instance, the majority of the Town Center area has a Kennesaw address but is not in the city limits. It is unincorporated Cobb. Interestingly enough, neither is the local university with the city's name in it, KSU within the city of Kennesaw.

To the OP: You will probably find more house for your budget in West Cobb or in the Kennesaw area. That might not be enough for the majority of East Cobb.

Old 11-23-2013, 03:32 AM

10,392 posts, read 11,487,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
As jane078 mentions above about Marietta being areas outside of the city limits, much of the area around Kennesaw will have a Kennesaw address but not be in the city limits. The gun thing is only applicable to the city of Kennesaw.
This is an excellent point.

It should also be noted that the much talked-about gun law that is applicable only to the area within the corporate limits of the City of Kennesaw (and not the larger surrounding area with a Kennesaw mailing address) is unenforceable and is a totally and completely symbolic answer to a total citywide gun ban that was enacted in Morton Grove, Illinois (a suburb of Chicago) in the early 1980's.

The gun law has so many exemptions that it is basically unenforceable, which is appropriate because the gun law was not created to be enforced (and never has been enforced), but was created to deter violent crime and give the City of Kennesaw much publicity as a tool of economic development, a strategy which has worked very-well as Kennesaw has become home to what has been reported to be one of the largest clusters of industrial and commercial development in the greater Atlanta metro region.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
For instance, the majority of the Town Center area has a Kennesaw address but is not in the city limits. It is unincorporated Cobb. Interestingly enough, neither is the local university with the city's name in it, KSU within the city of Kennesaw.

To the OP: You will probably find more house for your budget in West Cobb or in the Kennesaw area. That might not be enough for the majority of East Cobb.

Old 11-23-2013, 11:52 AM

125 posts, read 227,885 times
Don't go for Marietta city schools , MCAA being the only exception. We r planning to relocate & I live here. Walton is the best choice for u.

Old 11-23-2013, 12:29 PM

4,578 posts, read 5,662,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mast240 View Post
Hey guys,

My wife and I are a military family, who may have a move to Dobbins AFB in our future. We currently reside in the DC area, and hate it. I grew up on the eastern side of ATL when i was really young, and my mother still lives near lake lanier, so i know GA ok, just not this particular area. Few questions for you.

1. We currently have a 9 month old, so schools are not a huge deal right this second, but it is a consideration for the future... Which area has the best schools?

2. we'll be looking to rent a good sized home when we get there, 3-4 BR's, nice back yard, garage, etc... Budget will be around 1400, but could go a lil higher for the right house... Is this a realistic budget? What areas would we be able to get the most bang for our buck?

3. We are both registered independents, who tend to lean left (please, no hate, just info), as well as non religious... how "red" is this area? i know certain areas of GA that i've been to, telling someone you dont go to church or didnt vote for bush will get you shunned from any and all social circumstances... How much of this is in the area? How "in your face" are the religious of the area?

4. Traffic is somewhat a consideration, however, coming from the recently rated worst traffic area in the country (really, its that bad), and having lived in the NYC area as well as Miami, it has become a kind of norm for me with my daily drive. How bad is the commute from Kennesaw and near areas to Dobbins?

Thanks
I just did a quick search of the available listings on the multiple listing service with your criteria (1350-1600, 3-4 br, detached, Cobb County, in the school districts Walton, Lassiter and Pope, which are in East Cobb (the side next to Roswell). There were 7 available. However, when I took out the requirement for the top high schools, the number rocketed up to almost 100, pretty evenly divided -- half above a line drawn by Roswell Road, and half below. So I'd say that your budget is realistic -- but it might be a challenge in the top school districts.

You're in a metropolitan area -- it's hard to see where one city stops and the other starts. While it may be true that the social life of some of the smaller, rural towns of Georgia tend to revolve around church activities (and even that's not a given), no one in this area is going to care what your religious or political views are. They might get annoyed if you let your grass get too high, or don't take in your trash can in promptly, but as far as the other stuff -- who cares? Vote how you like, don't sacrifice the neighborhood black cat in religious rituals, and you'll be fine. :-)

A commute from any of those areas will be relatively easy, compared to going downtown. I've done NYC, I've done Miami, and I learned to drive a stick shift on the Santa Monica freeway during rush hour. :-) Atlanta traffic isn't fun, but it's manageable if you're smart about it.

Old 11-23-2013, 01:41 PM

10,392 posts, read 11,487,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
I just did a quick search of the available listings on the multiple listing service with your criteria (1350-1600, 3-4 br, detached, Cobb County, in the school districts Walton, Lassiter and Pope, which are in East Cobb (the side next to Roswell). There were 7 available. However, when I took out the requirement for the top high schools, the number rocketed up to almost 100, pretty evenly divided -- half above a line drawn by Roswell Road, and half below. So I'd say that your budget is realistic -- but it might be a challenge in the top school districts.

You're in a metropolitan area -- it's hard to see where one city stops and the other starts. While it may be true that the social life of some of the smaller, rural towns of Georgia tend to revolve around church activities (and even that's not a given), no one in this area is going to care what your religious or political views are. They might get annoyed if you let your grass get too high, or don't take in your trash can in promptly, but as far as the other stuff -- who cares? Vote how you like, don't sacrifice the neighborhood black cat in religious rituals, and you'll be fine. :-)

A commute from any of those areas will be relatively easy, compared to going downtown. I've done NYC, I've done Miami, and I learned to drive a stick shift on the Santa Monica freeway during rush hour. :-) Atlanta traffic isn't fun, but it's manageable if you're smart about it.
^^^^This...Excellent comments.

Old 11-23-2013, 02:42 PM

1,236 posts, read 1,398,737 times
Default Cobb County...

I don't think you'll get harassed, but Cobb County in general is very conservative Republican; especially parts of Marietta. My mom lives in Kennesaw, and I would say it's the least politically intense of the towns that make up Cobb. She's a left winger, and has never had any problems. Just so you know.

Old 11-23-2013, 06:59 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,819,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mast240 View Post
Hey guys,

Thanks
I've tried, but I'm not really feeling most of Marietta. A lot of the houses may be built with better materials and the subdivisions less restrictive, but it just feels old and though the two areas are not really similar, it reminds me of Norcross. Something about them just feels raggedy.

Considering that you're just commuting to Dobins, I think Kennesaw is a better choice for amount of house for your money. East Cobb (part of Marietta) is supposed to have some of the best schools in the metro and the commute may be shorter in time if not distance.

Although the majority of the area seems to be conservative, I still find the people diverse and not particularly judgmental about anything. I live in Kennesaw and am moving because I'm bored there, but I do believe it would be a good location to raise a child. My subdivision has a pool, tennis courts, and pretty regular neighborhood fairs/events. However, the fact that our subdivision has a pool highlights the more restrictive by-laws of the community - meaning you cannot put a pool in your own backyard. I don't think Marietta does that.

Overall, there really isn't that much difference between Kennesaw and Marietta, but shopping is better in Kennesaw for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta