Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 12:28 PM

32,043 posts, read 36,951,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I'm sure Little's main profit drivers weren't fine wine and craft beer in 1929 as it seems to be now.
I remember the old Cabbagetown and no, it wasn't the fine wine crowd.

I wonder what it is about gentrification that seems to result in the loss of the old "corner store" merchants? At fist blush one would think it might help them, but it may have something to do with the product mix. A wealthier clientele can go to Walmart or CVS and doesn't have to depend on the local mom and pop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 12:56 PM
JPD JPD started this thread

12,138 posts, read 18,347,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post

I wonder what it is about gentrification that seems to result in the loss of the old "corner store" merchants?
I don't know if gentrification is to blame. I believe most closed prior to gentrification. There were at least four storferonts on Kirkwood Avenue alone (most attached to houses). Three of the storefronts remain, and the fourth was torn down, but none of them have been open as businesses for decades. The one that was torn down was open until the mid to late '90s (on the corner of Tye and Kirkwood).

Old 12-18-2013, 12:59 PM

23,578 posts, read 44,313,096 times
Sorry, but when you start to make financial pleas to the public to stay in business, you're done. Anybody remember Outwrite?

Old 12-18-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Sorry, but when you start to make financial pleas to the public to stay in business, you're done. Anybody remember Outwrite?
They're not making pleas to stay in business.

BTW: Criminal Records disproves your Outwrite theory.

Last edited by JPD; 12-18-2013 at 01:18 PM..

Old 12-18-2013, 01:32 PM

23,578 posts, read 44,313,096 times
Quote:
They're not making pleas to stay in business.

BTW: Criminal Records disproves your Outwrite theory.
Oh, OK. Can you send $500? I need to round out my Christmas list.

Old 12-18-2013, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Oh, OK. Can you send $500? I need to round out my Christmas list.
Sorry, didn't hear you. I was working on my ignore list.

Old 12-19-2013, 06:17 AM

135 posts, read 534,479 times
Quote:
To be fair - they initially announced they were going to close, and only began their campaign for donations after overwhelming support from the neighborhood.

Old 12-19-2013, 10:06 AM

668 posts, read 998,080 times
Quote:
Not anymore. That's more or less the whole concept behind Kickstarter.

Old 12-19-2013, 11:28 AM

I wasn't going to say anything about the owner's terrible tragedy from several years ago, but here it is in the news. If people knew the connection between this store and that tragic event, Little's store would have met their fundraising goal in the first five minutes.

"Cabbagetown Christmas miracle" saves Little's Food Store | 11alive.com

Old 12-23-2013, 12:17 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,838,681 times
Quote:
I wasn't going to say anything about the owner's terrible tragedy from several years ago, but here it is in the news. If people knew the connection between this store and that tragic event, Little's store would have met their fundraising goal in the first five minutes.

"Cabbagetown Christmas miracle" saves Little's Food Store | 11alive.com
That's pretty bad. I remember the tree falling clip on the news.

I have never been to the store, but I think corner markets serve a purpose. I can imagine when he doesn't have enough money to update the electrical system or what not that spending money on a different project may seem infeasible. However, I must admit that when I visited my college roommate in Brooklyn and we were able to get someone to deliver bacon, eggs, and bread from the corner store, I was thrilled. Perhaps looking towards the convenience of delivery could help bring in additional dough from the lazy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: