Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 12:11 PM

725 posts, read 1,279,631 times

Advertisements

I was told an opening date of 2018 at the GT presentation. I am skeptical, but we will see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 12:21 PM

1,637 posts, read 2,630,968 times
Please!

Cynthia McKinney has a better chance at becoming the next Governor of Ga than this happening in a couple of years.

This is coming from the #1 Atlanta fan. I hope they prove me wrong

Old 12-27-2013, 12:24 PM

7,358 posts, read 6,529,813 times
Without Amtrak, the project probably won't go anywhere unless we get a sudden and major push for commuter rail. But it's useless to Amtrak. That's what happens you give away critical infrastructure to a bunch of yuppie dog walkers.

Old 12-27-2013, 02:00 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAubin View Post
I went to a presentation at Georgia Tech a couple of months ago where they presented the latest designs for the MMPT plan. I've been searching the internet for those renderings for a while and I finally found them.

Here they are.

Featured Project | Integral
Oh-la-la...

Old 12-27-2013, 02:21 PM

477 posts, read 594,152 times
I may not be seeing this right, but I think in the second and third pictures, the building on the right is the old Constitution building. It actually looks like they've designed this to include that building and install a green roof on it. So that means the street below it is the Alabama Street extension. The first picture looks to be the corner of the Alabama Street extension and Centennial Olympic Park Drive, and there appears to be some kind of pedestrian bridge that extends from the southwest corner. I'm guessing that would connect to the new Falcons stadium? Somebody help me out here. Tell me what you see.

Old 12-27-2013, 02:46 PM

It also looks as though they plan to level Alabama Street off at the Constitution building and bridge/ramp it to connect directly to Spring Street at viaduct height instead of going downhill towards the gulch.

Old 12-27-2013, 02:51 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
ahhhhh....don't see any of the floating hover terminals to accept any flying pods, pretty short-sighted if you ask me

Old 12-27-2013, 04:11 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,963,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HH82 View Post
I may not be seeing this right, but I think in the second and third pictures, the building on the right is the old Constitution building. It actually looks like they've designed this to include that building and install a green roof on it. So that means the street below it is the Alabama Street extension. The first picture looks to be the corner of the Alabama Street extension and Centennial Olympic Park Drive, and there appears to be some kind of pedestrian bridge that extends from the southwest corner. I'm guessing that would connect to the new Falcons stadium? Somebody help me out here. Tell me what you see.
I know for a fact that they were planning on incorporating the Constitution building into the design, so yes, you're right.

Old 12-27-2013, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alco89 View Post
I know for a fact that they were planning on incorporating the Constitution building into the design, so yes, you're right.
I thought I remembered reading that somewhere a while back. This thing looks incredible. Here's hoping they break ground on it in 2014.

Old 12-27-2013, 05:50 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alco89 View Post
As much as I love historic buildings I will have to say the Constitution building doesn't exactly fire me up.

It wasn't built until 1947 and the newspaper moved out only five years later. I don't recall it ever having a noteworthy presence on the Atlanta scene.

The building was abandoned when it was only 25 years old or so and has been eyesore for 40 years -- far longer than it was ever in use.

Aesthetically I like the rounded corner at Alabama street but that's about it. If the place can feasibly be rehabbed that's great but I wouldn't chain myself to the plywood to save it. There are many other better looking buildings with a much richer history that deserve our attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta