Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 11:37 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,444,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
It is crazy how so many on this forum really don't know what they are talking about when it comes to stereotyping specific neighborhoods.

West End where this event will be held is a beautiful neighborhood. I also lived there for many years and wanted to buy there but too many owners of homes and banks and brokers tried to shiest us back when we were looking for a place. This was during the mortgage fraud crap over there was at its height. I still have many friends in West End and it is a great neighborhood, very beautiful, especially the historic section where Streets Alive will take place.

I am hoping I am in town so that I can attend.

Also, FWIW, I actually do like West End Mall, it is small and I know the layout/stores and if I need something from there it is a quick in and out. I got an affinity for it when I was a student and we used to walk up there all the time. It could use some renovation but I hope they keep it in the area.

Another FWIW, like a PP said, the AUC in the area is not all that rich when it comes to money. But they have made A LOT of improvements over there over the past 10 years. In case you were not aware Atlwarrior, Lee Street used to be filled with housing projects, as was Lowery Blvd (formerly Ashby St.). There were also a lot of run down boarding houses for students on Ashby and the area was filled with hookers of all varieties. Morehouse has had a lot of construction take place near the West End within this time period. CAU has as well as Spelman but their campuses are further away from the neighborhood so you wouldn't see any benefit, but all of the AUC schools have made a lot of investments in their campuses and in the neighborhoods. Morehouse runs an upward bound program that is utilized by a lot of students in West End and surrounding neighborhoods as does CAU. And the students over there are the primary users of the mall. As stated, I used it quite often when I was a student. Many residents in West End are former AUC students. We fell in love with the neighborhood and stayed. I wish I could have bought a home over there.
Thanks for enlightening me. Great insights. I love living in West End.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 01:41 PM

3 posts, read 3,630 times
Places to eat in the West End. The West End Farmers Market at the Wrens Nest (1050 Ralph D. Abernathy Blvd) starts that Sunday and each Sunday there after until November. Also there will be food that day at West End Community Garden 1285 Ralph D Abernathy Blvd.

Tassili's Raw Reality 1059 RDA
Q time 1120 RDA

Old 03-25-2014, 06:32 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,823,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlthomp2002 View Post
Places to eat in the West End. The West End Farmers Market at the Wrens Nest (1050 Ralph D. Abernathy Blvd) starts that Sunday and each Sunday there after until November. Also there will be food that day at West End Community Garden 1285 Ralph D Abernathy Blvd.

Tassili's Raw Reality 1059 RDA
Q time 1120 RDA
The Community Garden sounds interesting. Will there be cooked food? I like raw food just fine, but I wouldn't be against having some collard greens.

Old 03-26-2014, 07:29 AM

2 posts, read 2,296 times
This is going to be a great event!

Old 03-26-2014, 03:43 PM

3 posts, read 3,630 times
The community garden and the framers market will feacture Jamacian food including caloloo which is very close to collars.
Also curry chicken, rice and peas, meat and veggie patties, bread pudding, ginger beer and sorrel.

Old 03-26-2014, 07:06 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,823,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlthomp2002 View Post
The community garden and the framers market will feacture Jamacian food including caloloo which is very close to collars.
Also curry chicken, rice and peas, meat and veggie patties, bread pudding, ginger beer and sorrel.
I love callaloo. I had it for the first time when I went to Montego Bay years ago. I thought it was odd we were having greens for breakfast, but I didn't complain. You've sold me on this one.

Old 03-27-2014, 01:27 PM

West End | Neighborhood Guide | Creative Loafing Atlanta

Old 04-08-2014, 03:20 PM

Some more information for Intown Atlanta on the event.

Go West: Atlanta Streets Alive heads to West End - Atlanta INtown Paper

Old 04-09-2014, 12:01 AM

787 posts, read 969,600 times
My wife and I will be there, we are thinking about becoming members at West End Church of Christ also. Thanks for posting!

Also can someone suggest nice areas to rent in this area. Apartment or town home around $800.00/month.

Last edited by Larry X; 04-09-2014 at 12:12 AM..

Old 04-09-2014, 07:40 AM

222 posts, read 243,174 times
I'm concerned the turnout will be poor because of location. Not because of reality, but due to the perception the West End has. Additionally, the turnout is going to be very poor due to 2 other prominent events going on at the same time. Sweetwaters 420 Fest held at Centennial Olympic Park, and the Pot Festival taking place in Candler Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: