Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 04:13 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,747,200 times

Advertisements

Clayton should annex North Henry and Fayette Counties( excluding Fayetteville). Fulton should annex South Cobb, and Dekalb should annex Rockdale. All of Fulton should be incorporated, but tax itself like a county wide CID witch funds local roads, sewer, trash, and parks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 04:18 PM

7,358 posts, read 6,529,813 times
No no no no no, there is NO WAY Dekalb should annex Rockdale. If Rockdale was going to combine with any county, it should be Newton, or Walton, but definitely NOT Dekalb.

Old 08-22-2014, 04:28 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,122,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
A nice 1 bedroom apartment in Buckhead for Rocco. :0)
Come on man, go for the gold! (A three bedroom penthouse).

Old 08-22-2014, 04:35 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,747,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
No no no no no, there is NO WAY Dekalb should annex Rockdale. If Rockdale was going to combine with any county, it should be Newton, or Walton, but definitely NOT Dekalb.
Why Not?

Old 08-22-2014, 04:43 PM

7,358 posts, read 6,529,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Why Not?
Aside from the social issues (you can't even make people admit we're a suburb of Atlanta) Dekalb is too different from Rockdale. We're a true suburb while Dekalb hosts part of the city of Atlanta, and many major cities, the administration of which isn't suited to most areas of Rockdale.

Old 08-22-2014, 05:24 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Limiting myself to the City of Atlanta:
  • Cap the Connector in front of the Capitol, between Piedmont and Peachtree, and from North Avenue. to 5th Street, rebuild the 10th Street Bridge, and build the 15th Street Bridge.
  • Full buildout of the Beltline (including new parkland at the Waterworks and Bellwood).
  • Full expansion of the Atlanta Streetcar plan.
  • Relocation of Hulsey Yard in Cabbagetown.
  • Getting rid of the Section 8 housing along Boulevard.
  • Convert Spring, West Peachtree, Juniper/Courtland, and Piedmont back into two-way operation.
  • Extend the boulevard concept down Peachtree Road from Maple Drive to I-85/Pershing Point
  • Build out a substantial bicycle network of cycle tracks.
  • Repair all sidewalks
  • On the legal side:
    • Annex the rest of Druid Hills, North Druid Hills, East Lake, Gresham Park, Candler-McAfee, the Fulton Industrial area, and Cliftondale/Westlake High areas.
    • Remove minimum parking requirements.
    • Disallow lot-lined parking structures.
    • Introduce tax incentives to redevelop surface parking lots.
By no means is this a definitive list.
Good list, Gulch.

Old 08-22-2014, 05:26 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Why Not?
I would be okay with DeKalb annexing Rockdale and certain parts of Gwinnett if that's what the locals want.

Old 08-22-2014, 05:38 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,131,048 times
I present to you all something that is truly a dream, the likes of which could never be achieved more than in part in our political and economic climate. I fully understand that, but that is not the premise of this thread as far as I'm concerned:

First, make metro Atlanta a leader in regional transportation. I'm not expecting a full NYC/Tokyo style transit system, but something that would truly consolidate Atlanta's position as a large, cosmopolitan metro area. This plan would include the completion of all aspects of the Beltline (light rail, trails, and greenspace,) the full buildout of the Atlanta Streetcar system, synchronization of traffic signals, maintenance of city streets, LED street lights on every street, new bikeshare programs, added MARTA bus routes and rail frequency, and the construction of additional bike paths to connect areas off the Beltline and with other suburbs. Every little bit that can be done to improve mobility would add up and increase the quality of life for Atlanta residents. On a regional scale, create a commuter rail system and build the MMPT where it is proposed to go; by doing so, the city now has one single gateway for those arriving or commuting in by train, intercity bus, streetcar, or MARTA (with connections to the Five Points station). Finally, I agree with Gulch that minimum parking requirements should be eliminated.

As an addendum, I would complete Roy Barnes' ultimate plan for GRTA. Upon completion of the Beltline and Atlanta Streetcar, responsibility and oversight for all metro Atlanta transit (MARTA, Beltline, GRTA Xpress, Streetcar, the Buc, GCT, and CCT) would gradually fall under the authority of GRTA, thus providing for one sole mass transit operator for metro Atlanta. Afterwards, the MARTA (now GRTA) system would be expanded following these lines:

- The bus system would be expanded to absorb the former GCT, the Buc, GRTA Xpress, and CCT routes. Routes would be added where necessary, while grade-separated limited stop services would run down I-285 and I-20 in a BRT fashion between Indian Creek and Stonecrest.

- Heavy rail service would be extended along the Red (GA 400 up to Windward), Blue (west to Six Flags), Green (this would loop around from Bankhead to Emory, serving GT, Piedmont Park, and the CDC in the process), and Gold (northeast to Gwinnett Place and southeast to Southlake) lines, while two new LRT connections would be built: northwest from Arts Center to the new Braves stadium (serving Cumberland in the process) and along the Perimeter from Cumberland to Doraville, which would have a new mixed-use development on the site of the former GM plant.

- A commuter rail system would be built, with lines leading out in a hub/spoke setup from the MMPT to Gainesville, Athens (the Brain Train), Covington, Griffin, Newnan, Carrollton, and Cartersville.

- From the MMPT, a new HSR connection would be built up to Charlotte and Raleigh, with future connections from Raleigh up to Richmond, Washington, D.C., and points further northeast.

Next, the Braves win another World Series.

Next, the MLS team wins a national championship, thus increasing the team's presence on Atlanta's radar.

After that, Atlanta starts an aggressive anti-litter and anti-panhandling campaign.

Next, Georgia Tech, Georgia State, Coca-Cola, and local TV and radio stations build the Coca-Cola Tower, a 2,000 ft broadcast, communications, research, retail, and observations tower located near Centennial Olympic Park and the MMPT. Not only would the tower feature transmitters for area TV and radio stations, but would also feature an observation deck, a multitude of retail options, and research facilities for college students majoring in certain architecture or engineering fields. Of course, the tower would be shaped like a Coca-Cola bottle, this adding that final Atlanta touch.

Next, citywide municipal broadband. Thankfully, such a practice is not forbidden in Georgia (the cable/phone lobbies have attempted such a thing twice), so Atlanta should have a citywide municipal broadband network for use by residents, businesses, schools, hospitals, and government offices. The network would also have public WiFi for use on major streets, in city parks, and in government buildings. By building a municipal broadband network, Atlanta's business sector would grow due to the increase in small to mid-sized businesses, mainly tech-based startups. After the consolidation I outline below, the network would gradually be extended to cover the rest of the area.

Third, have the city of Atlanta annex the areas of DeKalb County inside I-285 that are not already part of a city, and the Fulton Industrial area.

Also, promote dense, mixed-use development (new urbanist or not) within the following areas, but do not mandate dense development; merely make it more conducive to developers to build dense developments through programs such as the elimination of minimum parking requirements:

- ALL of downtown and midtown Atlanta. Surface parking lots would be banned in these areas; commuters would either have to take GRTA, Uber, Lyft, bike paths, or park in a deck or on the streets.
- Home Park.
- Atlantic Station. Again, surface parking lots would be banned.
- Most areas along the Beltline.
- Most areas along MLK.
- Most areas along Memorial Drive out to I-285 and Decatur St. out to, well, Decatur.
- Areas along Candler Road.
- Buckhead along and east of Peachtree Road; this includes Piedmont Dr. and Lindbergh Center.
- Brookhaven, Chamblee, and Doraville along Peachtree Road/Peachtree Blvd.
- Areas along Buford Hwy. up to I-285.
- Virginia-Highland.
- Little Five Points.
- Downtown Decatur. Surface parking lots would be banned.
- Cumberland Mall/Cobb Galleria.
- Most areas along Moreland Drive between Custer Avenue and Ponce.
- All areas along Ponce between Midtown and Memorial Drive.
- Areas along and east of Northside Drive between I-20 and I-75, but west of the Connector.
- Perimeter Center, Dunwoody Village, and "downtown" Sandy Springs.
- Parking lots at MARTA stations, with the exceptions of North Springs, Indian Creek, Airport, Vine City, Ashby, and maybe Bankhead.

Historic neighborhoods like Druid Hills, Inman Park, and exclusive communities like Buckhead (west of Peachtree Rd.) would be exempt from most densification efforts.

Finally, as this is a dream, or things that you hope will happen but probably won't in reality, I'll add the ultimate trump card: the creation of the Metropolitan Government of Atlanta. Under this provision, DeKalb, Cobb, most of Fulton (not the southwestern part), most of Gwinnett (not the areas northeast of a Duluth to Lawrenceville to Snellville line), Clayton, and northern Henry counties would lose their status as such. Rather, they would all be combined to form a single, unified metropolitan government based in Atlanta and run by a smaller Atlanta Regional Commission. However, the area would be divided into "boroughs" that would have local control over stuff like parks, zoning (aside from a metro-wide planning code), business licensing, and the operation of schools (aside from one central Metro Atlanta Board of Education). All other current county and municipal operations would transfer to the metropolitan government. For the purposes of state and federal accountability, the metro region would be considered as one county.

That's my dream, and now I've (kinda) woken up!

- skbl17

Old 08-22-2014, 08:16 PM

708 posts, read 999,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbl17 View Post
I present to you all something that is truly a dream, the likes of which could never be achieved more than in part in our political and economic climate. I fully understand that, but that is not the premise of this thread as far as I'm concerned:

First, make metro Atlanta a leader in regional transportation. I'm not expecting a full NYC/Tokyo style transit system, but something that would truly consolidate Atlanta's position as a large, cosmopolitan metro area. This plan would include the completion of all aspects of the Beltline (light rail, trails, and greenspace,) the full buildout of the Atlanta Streetcar system, synchronization of traffic signals, maintenance of city streets, LED street lights on every street, new bikeshare programs, added MARTA bus routes and rail frequency, and the construction of additional bike paths to connect areas off the Beltline and with other suburbs. Every little bit that can be done to improve mobility would add up and increase the quality of life for Atlanta residents. On a regional scale, create a commuter rail system and build the MMPT where it is proposed to go; by doing so, the city now has one single gateway for those arriving or commuting in by train, intercity bus, streetcar, or MARTA (with connections to the Five Points station). Finally, I agree with Gulch that minimum parking requirements should be eliminated.

As an addendum, I would complete Roy Barnes' ultimate plan for GRTA. Upon completion of the Beltline and Atlanta Streetcar, responsibility and oversight for all metro Atlanta transit (MARTA, Beltline, GRTA Xpress, Streetcar, the Buc, GCT, and CCT) would gradually fall under the authority of GRTA, thus providing for one sole mass transit operator for metro Atlanta. Afterwards, the MARTA (now GRTA) system would be expanded following these lines:

- The bus system would be expanded to absorb the former GCT, the Buc, GRTA Xpress, and CCT routes. Routes would be added where necessary, while grade-separated limited stop services would run down I-285 and I-20 in a BRT fashion between Indian Creek and Stonecrest.

- Heavy rail service would be extended along the Red (GA 400 up to Windward), Blue (west to Six Flags), Green (this would loop around from Bankhead to Emory, serving GT, Piedmont Park, and the CDC in the process), and Gold (northeast to Gwinnett Place and southeast to Southlake) lines, while two new LRT connections would be built: northwest from Arts Center to the new Braves stadium (serving Cumberland in the process) and along the Perimeter from Cumberland to Doraville, which would have a new mixed-use development on the site of the former GM plant.

- A commuter rail system would be built, with lines leading out in a hub/spoke setup from the MMPT to Gainesville, Athens (the Brain Train), Covington, Griffin, Newnan, Carrollton, and Cartersville.

- From the MMPT, a new HSR connection would be built up to Charlotte and Raleigh, with future connections from Raleigh up to Richmond, Washington, D.C., and points further northeast.

Next, the Braves win another World Series.

Next, the MLS team wins a national championship, thus increasing the team's presence on Atlanta's radar.

After that, Atlanta starts an aggressive anti-litter and anti-panhandling campaign.

Next, Georgia Tech, Georgia State, Coca-Cola, and local TV and radio stations build the Coca-Cola Tower, a 2,000 ft broadcast, communications, research, retail, and observations tower located near Centennial Olympic Park and the MMPT. Not only would the tower feature transmitters for area TV and radio stations, but would also feature an observation deck, a multitude of retail options, and research facilities for college students majoring in certain architecture or engineering fields. Of course, the tower would be shaped like a Coca-Cola bottle, this adding that final Atlanta touch.

Next, citywide municipal broadband. Thankfully, such a practice is not forbidden in Georgia (the cable/phone lobbies have attempted such a thing twice), so Atlanta should have a citywide municipal broadband network for use by residents, businesses, schools, hospitals, and government offices. The network would also have public WiFi for use on major streets, in city parks, and in government buildings. By building a municipal broadband network, Atlanta's business sector would grow due to the increase in small to mid-sized businesses, mainly tech-based startups. After the consolidation I outline below, the network would gradually be extended to cover the rest of the area.

Third, have the city of Atlanta annex the areas of DeKalb County inside I-285 that are not already part of a city, and the Fulton Industrial area.

Also, promote dense, mixed-use development (new urbanist or not) within the following areas, but do not mandate dense development; merely make it more conducive to developers to build dense developments through programs such as the elimination of minimum parking requirements:

- ALL of downtown and midtown Atlanta. Surface parking lots would be banned in these areas; commuters would either have to take GRTA, Uber, Lyft, bike paths, or park in a deck or on the streets.
- Home Park.
- Atlantic Station. Again, surface parking lots would be banned.
- Most areas along the Beltline.
- Most areas along MLK.
- Most areas along Memorial Drive out to I-285 and Decatur St. out to, well, Decatur.
- Areas along Candler Road.
- Buckhead along and east of Peachtree Road; this includes Piedmont Dr. and Lindbergh Center.
- Brookhaven, Chamblee, and Doraville along Peachtree Road/Peachtree Blvd.
- Areas along Buford Hwy. up to I-285.
- Virginia-Highland.
- Little Five Points.
- Downtown Decatur. Surface parking lots would be banned.
- Cumberland Mall/Cobb Galleria.
- Most areas along Moreland Drive between Custer Avenue and Ponce.
- All areas along Ponce between Midtown and Memorial Drive.
- Areas along and east of Northside Drive between I-20 and I-75, but west of the Connector.
- Perimeter Center, Dunwoody Village, and "downtown" Sandy Springs.
- Parking lots at MARTA stations, with the exceptions of North Springs, Indian Creek, Airport, Vine City, Ashby, and maybe Bankhead.

Historic neighborhoods like Druid Hills, Inman Park, and exclusive communities like Buckhead (west of Peachtree Rd.) would be exempt from most densification efforts.

Finally, as this is a dream, or things that you hope will happen but probably won't in reality, I'll add the ultimate trump card: the creation of the Metropolitan Government of Atlanta. Under this provision, DeKalb, Cobb, most of Fulton (not the southwestern part), most of Gwinnett (not the areas northeast of a Duluth to Lawrenceville to Snellville line), Clayton, and northern Henry counties would lose their status as such. Rather, they would all be combined to form a single, unified metropolitan government based in Atlanta and run by a smaller Atlanta Regional Commission. However, the area would be divided into "boroughs" that would have local control over stuff like parks, zoning (aside from a metro-wide planning code), business licensing, and the operation of schools (aside from one central Metro Atlanta Board of Education). All other current county and municipal operations would transfer to the metropolitan government. For the purposes of state and federal accountability, the metro region would be considered as one county.

That's my dream, and now I've (kinda) woken up!

- skbl17
BRAVO!!!!
I love it (x3)
When I start reading towards the end I was like awh mannn i thought this was the beginning.However,I wish u could have added like some entertainment,art and theatre districts.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:19 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,351,957 times
A brand new Braves Stadium that is easily accessible for the Braves fanbase in Cobb County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta