Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 10:49 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,057,844 times

Advertisements

If you Google mattress buying, you will see it is an extremely shady business and no better than buying a used car. It's extremely difficult to comparison shop because every store carries a very slightly different version of each mattress (which is almost always the exact same mattress, just with a different name).

Margins on mattresses are enormous, which is why the mattress stores are always willing to wheel and deal.

Never buy a clearance mattress or overstock or anything like that. These are used mattresses that have been "factory refurbished." Factory refurbishing is spraying them with Lysol. Unless the idea of sleeping on a mattress previously used doesn't gross you out. For all intents and purposes, it probably isn't that gross considering every hotel you sleep in you are sleeping on a mattress used by thousands of people.....but the thought of buying a used mattress does gross most people out.

In the research I conducted, I found that the most honest prices on mattresses come from stores that do not negotiate. I think you pay a bit more at a store like Macy's that is going to throw a decent mark-up on it, but Sears has pretty good prices on their mattresses that already factor in a margin for the store, but not a huge mark-up to account for negotiation. Your best bet is really to go to a retailer like Sears and find out when their biggest sale is (I think it's Memorial Day). Then figure out every discount you can, from newspaper coupons to 10% off for signing up for a Sears card, or whatever you can happen to dig up.

There are also internet mattress companies that people say are pretty good. The challenge is figuring out the name they use for the mattress you want. Sometimes, you can call and they will tell you what they call the mattress you saw at Sears or Macys, but sometimes not.

Good luck, buying a new mattress is one of the more frustrating purchases you can make.

Incidentally, there are very good mattress toppers you can get off Amazon that will improve the feel of most mattresses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 05:34 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,902,407 times
For those of you who may remember Roberds, they valiantly tried to carve-through all of the shenanigans with a "conversion chart" reconciling the different names/models that were used for basically the same mattresses. Not sure there is any place that attempts to do this anymore.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:14 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
Brandsmart USA also sells mattresses now. At least the one in Kennesaw does, and their prices are very good.

Old 12-29-2013, 09:33 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
As has been said, remember to check post dates folks, as the original posting date of the OP's inquiry was 2007 - nearly 7 years ago. My guess is they've purchased a mattress by now - though they might be ready for another new one by now.

That being said, people are always in the market it seems for a new mattress at all times of year and every year, so I'll keep the thread active for reference for new viewers and visitors looking for a place.

For anyone looking for a Queen size mattress now (Jan 2014), here is a very specific recommendation: Costco will from Jan 2 - 26, 2014 have the "Sealy Newfield" Queen mattress set on sale for $120 which should place it around $479.00 for the set. You need the Costco coupon book with you or their app to get that price (item 792993 - it does not show up on their web site, only stores). I personally own this set and it's a higher quality than many in that price range. Individually wrapped coils, the center 1/3rd area has extra support, memory foam with the cooling stuff on top, etc... it says slightly firm, I considering it "pretty firm" to be honest, but I sleep very well on it. I priced similar mattresses in other stores with the same features and they all ran in the $699 to $849 range, roughly, so this is a good deal. Considering there are something like 7 Costcos in metro Atlanta hopefully you can find one in stock at one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta