Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2014, 02:28 PM

7,358 posts, read 6,527,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
i really think you are overestimating the rail capacity of the existing line. we are talking full length commuter trains every 15 minutes at peak hours. if commuter rail of this magnitude were implemented, especially to be extended to macon, it would at least double the train traffic on that set of tracks, if not more. in addition, much of the stretch has only one(!) track, and you're talking about commuter rail going both ways?
And I really think you are underestimating the capacity of a double track line. Most commuter rail operations in this country are double track and shared with freight and they do just fine. There are a few that are essentially single-track with passing sidings shared with more freight traffic than this line will have. The line as it is isn't a critical freight route at all. Actually, all of the stretch has only one track according to the 2008 timetable, except for a short siding at Forest Park. The options are basically build a new track with sidings, or upgrade the existing track. What I hope happens is a blend of the two where the existing track is upgraded and a new track added for most of the length but instead of sidings, they build the necessary crossovers for flexibility.

EDIT: I think I see where some of the confusion from my other post came from. I said "essentially they are proposing a second track..." That's what I'd like to see as well, but tied in with the existing track rather than existing essentially in a vacuum as the document reads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2014, 04:56 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,710,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
It's kind of halfway between the operational scheme of the paratransit service and the fixed-route service. The .pdf document linked above does contain a bit more information, but in section 3.1.1, it still sounds like just a short fixed-route service for a specific community linking it to the "mainline" bus and eventually rail services.
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetar View Post
In this case I think they're talking about flex routes, which vary stops based on riders needs. It sounds like they're looking at circulator buses with adaptable stops to serve the outer reaches of the county.
From the link that cqholt posted, it states:

Flex bus vehicles – five vehicles at $125,000 each: $625,000;

I guess, they will look like these in Baltimore

Old 07-06-2014, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
From the link that cqholt posted, it states:

Flex bus vehicles – five vehicles at $125,000 each: $625,000;

I guess, they will look like these in Baltimore
There's nothing that says they have to be special. They may just be regular old buses running the flex route. That actually makes more sense since operationally since the costs could be shared which should reduce them a bit over running special vehicles.

Old 07-06-2014, 05:25 PM

Quote:
There's nothing that says they have to be special. They may just be regular old buses running the flex route. That actually makes more sense since operationally since the costs could be shared which should reduce them a bit over running special vehicles.
The price seems to infer that it will be a unique model unless the price is for a bus rehab which would be pointless.

Old 07-06-2014, 05:31 PM

You would be correct, my apologies. It would definitely be a lower capacity bus in that case due to the much lower price.

Old 07-06-2014, 05:52 PM

Quote:
You would be correct, my apologies. It would definitely be a lower capacity bus in that case due to the much lower price.
No biggie.

It would be interesting if a 1/2 tax for Marta came to Rockdale .

Old 07-06-2014, 05:58 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
MARTA
MARTA plan for Clayton county.

Will it be HRT rail service or commuter rail service?

Old 07-06-2014, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
No biggie.

It would be interesting if a 1/2 tax for Marta came to Rockdale .
I've actually wondered if something like that would work except do the reverse of what Clayton tried. We don't need buses at all, so apply the 1/2 cent to extending the I-20 East Line 2 miles just over the county line, that's really all we need unless they intend to run commuter rail out here. Actually, that wouldn't be a bad idea either. Commuter rail to Conyers/Covington is arguably easier than to Clayton since the straightaways are already good for 79mph, and there are no busy junctions like Howell or the East Point area and there's already signaling in place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Will it be HRT rail service or commuter rail service?
The current plan is for commuter rail to be in place by 2022 which is very good news. HRT if it came, would be quite a bit later, and probably only as far as Forest Park or Southlake Mall.

Old 07-06-2014, 06:35 PM

2,490 posts, read 2,545,678 times
This is a great day in the name of transportation in Georgia and metro Atlanta. Clayton can draw more business, residents have better access to jobs, and most importantly we can have a chance to do more to clear up badly clogged Interstate 75 south of the airport.

For those who question the escrow account and why MARTA seemed flip/floppy, let me make a few points.
1. The agency is changing drastically for the better since new management has moved in. An agency that two years ago couldn't be trusted is quickly turning that around.
2. If they set aside 25 million dollars each year for future transit in Clayton county, then you're talking about a minimum of 250 million by 2025 and combine that with potential private funding sources, real estate investment, bonds and loans, etc and we could talk HRT instead of commuter rail. This option will allow people to directly access the primary train system similar to how people in say Sandy Springs do now and how they will as far as Alpharetta in a few years.
3. Alpharetta is 26.47 miles from downtown Atlanta, yet there is no question at this point about if it will be connected to the city and MARTA via HRT. Lovejoy on the other hand is three miles shorter in distance yet people seem to believe commuter rail from the airport to Lovejoy would be the best option or that the distance otherwise is too far???
4. Jonesboro is pretty much the same distance from downtown Atlanta as Dunwoody, which has had a train station since 1996. It took 17 years from the first implementation of rail and 24 from initial service before they got service, but they still received rail. It may take 20 or more years for it to happen, but people need to be patient and take the right course of action, instead of getting in a hurry and messing things up for the next half century.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropo...Marta_plan.png

This picture was drawn up by MARTA in 1970. Even back then they knew that by the 90s, early 2000s they would need to have that much rail, if not more. Some of that isn't even being discussed yet, and the Clayton county part is being questioned for necessity 45 years later. Good grief, look at the economic impact of that area and the congestion on 75 and I can tell you this line should've been completed at least to Jonesboro more than 15 years ago...not being questioned today. SMH at some of you with lack of vision.

Old 07-06-2014, 06:41 PM

2,490 posts, read 2,545,678 times
Quote:
The current plan is for commuter rail to be in place by 2022 which is very good news. HRT if it came, would be quite a bit later, and probably only as far as Forest Park or Southlake Mall.
I just have to question the long term viability of commuter rail through that area over HRT. You only have to look as far as Dunwoody or Northsprings in order to ask yourself is it and has been more beneficial to have HRT service there or would they've been better off having commuter rail instead? To me it just seems a waste of money to roll out commuter rail to an area on the southside that's really not all that far from the city (Riverdale/Jonesboro) just for the sake of saying "we can get you rail in less than 10 years".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta