Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 06:50 AM

161 posts, read 219,324 times

Advertisements

You can definitely find a house that meets your requirements--and have a large yard and family-friendly neighborhood and great schools for your kids in East Cobb. All of the homes will be older (I'd say 1990 at the newest) and some might need cosmetic updating, but you can undoubtably find one that's been well maintained. I have found this to be true in Lassiter, Pope and Walton high school districts. Commute could be horrible or very manageable depending on where your husband finds a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 07:47 AM

550 posts, read 989,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimama1 View Post
You can definitely find a house that meets your requirements--and have a large yard and family-friendly neighborhood and great schools for your kids in East Cobb. All of the homes will be older (I'd say 1990 at the newest) and some might need cosmetic updating, but you can undoubtably find one that's been well maintained. I have found this to be true in Lassiter, Pope and Walton high school districts. Commute could be horrible or very manageable depending on where your husband finds a job.
I agree with this.

Old 03-26-2014, 01:04 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,139,089 times
There are plenty of bible thumpers here in Atlanta, especially once you pass the magical barrier that is I-285. It's really the luck of the draw on whether or not they thump their bibles enough to harass you about not thumping yours.

Old 03-26-2014, 02:15 PM

21 posts, read 30,675 times
Born 2 Roll - Thanks for all of your input. We aren't unfamiliar with living in the suburbs and traveling in to work. I actually expect that. We've been looking around in Suwannee and a few other outlying cities and it looks like there are good schools and affordable housing. I'm guessing the places you listed and were thinking of are closer into town?

Thanks for your help!

Old 03-26-2014, 07:44 PM

98 posts, read 205,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nena2007 View Post
Born 2 Roll - Thanks for all of your input. We aren't unfamiliar with living in the suburbs and traveling in to work. I actually expect that. We've been looking around in Suwannee and a few other outlying cities and it looks like there are good schools and affordable housing. I'm guessing the places you listed and were thinking of are closer into town?

Thanks for your help!
Suwanee would be an excellent choice for your family. I think you won't have a problem looking for a home in your budget range, and Suwanee is right off of I-85 so commute should be do-able. The North Gwinnett / Peachtree Ridge school clusters are great as well.

Old 03-26-2014, 08:15 PM

21 posts, read 30,675 times
Thanks for the info about the religious-zealous (or overzealous), I don't mind a difference of opinion. My husband and I were both raised very religious and now choose not to participate in any specific religion and teach our children more about being open minded etc. I just want them to be in a place that is diverse enough that they won't be the odd ones out.

And thanks for the tip on East Cobb - I'll check that out too

Old 03-26-2014, 09:22 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,775,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nena2007 View Post
Thanks for the info about the religious-zealous (or overzealous), I don't mind a difference of opinion. My husband and I were both raised very religious and now choose not to participate in any specific religion and teach our children more about being open minded etc. I just want them to be in a place that is diverse enough that they won't be the odd ones out.

And thanks for the tip on East Cobb - I'll check that out too
I would characterize myself, like you. Raised very religious, but choose not to now.

It isn't really that overzealous, but you will here questions like... Oh, what church do you go to?

Some who are sensitive to that will take it the wrong way.

The big thing is a large amount of social community opportunities happen around churches, especially for kids. Since churches are prevalent, there isn't much demand on the government or private-market to fill the gap for things churches commonly provide.

It is worth seeing if you can find a church you do like, if it is within your beliefs, or spending extra effort for you family socially by other means.

Old 03-26-2014, 09:27 PM

20 posts, read 24,045 times
You can get a nice house in Roswell for 300k that meets your criteria. We're right near Alpharetta and the Perimeter area. Love this family-friendly area.

Old 03-27-2014, 08:36 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,778,928 times
Smyrna is worth a look. It is a favorite of young professional families. There are 4br 2800sq foot homes to be had for $300k in the desireable Kings Springs, Nickajack, Teasley or Smyrna Elementary districts. Some will be over, some will be under. The commute from Smyrna is great, schools are good, and it's a progressive, safe, family-friendly community. The community is very active, and the City Council are amazing. Market Village is beautiful. Big things are happenign there. The Silver Comet Trail starts in Smyrna. There's lots to do around it, lots of shops, restaurants and the Cobb Performing Arts Center. People aren't going to give a hoot about your religion or lack thereof. I'm not religious either. Commute: About 25-30 min

I'd take a look at Powder Springs as well, since it's cheaper than Smyrna. There's actually a new development going in there that will get you a lot for your money. It isn't a horrible commute and definitely in the 45 min to 1hr range. Schools are good there, and it's not too far from the Silver Comet Trail. Moving to Powder Springs would leave about 80k of your house budget intact.

Marietta is also worth a look.

Last edited by netdragon; 03-27-2014 at 08:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta