Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 03:32 PM

28 posts, read 44,911 times

Advertisements

I would like a top rated private school with a small class size, in the north Atlanta area. such as suwanee, Johns creek...
Does anyone have any information on HOW TO CHOOSE ONE, and where I can find school's reviews. We are chinese, and wanna find a small size class for my daughter from K - 12. We moved to GA from CA, and I heard someone said that some GA 's private schools even give low income family financial aid. such a good news because in CA, IT'S IMPOSSIBLE!!

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2014, 04:58 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,661,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyjason View Post
I would like a top rated private school with a small class size, in the north Atlanta area. such as suwanee, Johns creek...
Does anyone have any information on HOW TO CHOOSE ONE, and where I can find school's reviews. We are chinese, and wanna find a small size class for my daughter from K - 12. We moved to GA from CA, and I heard someone said that some GA 's private schools even give low income family financial aid. such a good news because in CA, IT'S IMPOSSIBLE!!

thanks
you have heard wrong.

Very few private schools give financial aid at all -- many don't give it until middle or high school. There are a handful of notable exceptions, but they are very competitive and the deadline has past for next year.

The "top" private schools aren't in N. Atlanta as you define it, they are intown. The private schools are generally very strong in those areas and the privates that are there generally have a Christian foundation and exist for families who want their children to have religious education.

One exception in that area is Woodward North -- and they may indeed give money. However, it is tough to get into.

Some schools participate in a this complicated tax credit scholarship program, but the funds from this program generally don't come close to covering the entire cost of the school.

Old 04-12-2014, 05:04 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times
From your other posts you are looking to be in Forsyth, North Fulton, Gwinnett Counties All have Great Public schools.

Old 04-12-2014, 07:47 PM

Thanks so much for helping me.
I am thinking sending my kid to private school because in Bay area, CA, the public schools are really big size and also the government cut 25% of public schools' budget. It's hard to go to private school in bay area since everything here is expensive...
I hope it's a right decision to come to GA for school since the weather is nicer than most east cost cities.
Do people from Atlanta area send kids to private schools? or the private schools are mostly for international students?
how the public schools in Forsyth, North Fulton, Gwinnett Counties compare to good private schools in Atlanta?
Did GA government give 50% tax to public schools?
If we stay in the city of Atlanta, which part of the city is nice ,safe for small family with kid?
Thank you so much for sharing information !!!

Old 04-12-2014, 07:55 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times
Do people from Atlanta area send kids to private schools?
Some do, but most go to public schools.

or the private schools are mostly for international students?
There is a International school, but from what I've heard its mostly caterers to overseas corporate re-loc, where English is not there primary language. Most public school have some sort of ESL program in each school (Mostly Spanish, but there are others also, depending on the local demographics. )

how the public schools in Forsyth, North Fulton, Gwinnett Counties compare to good private schools in Atlanta?
They are some of the top rated school in the South East US, and/or the US.

Did GA government give 50% tax to public schools?
Most of the public school funding is Via Property Taxes, Some $'s from the state, and federal Gov's but its a small percent of the total funding the school gets.

Old 04-13-2014, 01:49 AM

21 posts, read 43,639 times
All four of the private schools we applied to offered financial aid. None of them have religious affiliation. All of them have small class sizes -- smaller than the public system. It can be done, but your options are limited.

Though financial aid is offered, there are many, many applicants and not much money to award. So I would encourage you to look into each individual school and go through the application process but have a backup plan and assume the backup plan is the one you're going to end up putting in to place.

Also. Financial aid awards have already been made for the coming 2014-15 school year, so if you're moving here in the coming months you might be well served moving to a good public school district and then go through the application process for the following year.

Best of luck.

Old 04-13-2014, 06:23 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,661,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrosina View Post
All four of the private schools we applied to offered financial aid. None of them have religious affiliation. All of them have small class sizes -- smaller than the public system. It can be done, but your options are limited.

Though financial aid is offered, there are many, many applicants and not much money to award. So I would encourage you to look into each individual school and go through the application process but have a backup plan and assume the backup plan is the one you're going to end up putting in to place.

Also. Financial aid awards have already been made for the coming 2014-15 school year, so if you're moving here in the coming months you might be well served moving to a good public school district and then go through the application process for the following year.

Best of luck.
He asked specifically about the northern suburbs, which for the most part aren't the schools you appied too.

Yes, most/all private schools offer financial aid, but with the exception of the very top ones, the awards aren't substantial, and a low income family won't get enough to attend. Other schools, including Galloway I believe, don't offer aid for elementary school. (No idea why)

The reality is that for very low income families there are a small handful of schools that provide full tuition, etc for needy students. They are generally the intown schools that have large endowments.

Keep in mind, too, that financial aid is reassessed yearly and some schools expect families to have income growth and awards may be reduced.

Old 04-13-2014, 06:42 AM

550 posts, read 989,506 times
The public schools in the northern suburbs are excellent.

Old 04-13-2014, 10:51 AM

Thank you guys, the information is very helpful! sabrosina, where are the four schools you applied? in Atlanta city or in north Alta? I just don't know how to choose the private school? I cannot find enough reviews about each school, so it's hard to know which private school I should choose. My child is going to be 4 this summer, so that is only one year left, I need to act now...

Old 04-13-2014, 10:52 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times
There are a ton of great church pre-schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta