Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 06:49 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,661,614 times

Advertisements

Given that you are a few years off from school and from purchasing a home, I might look in the Dunwoody or Brookhaven area. The ease of commute will allow for some really nice family time....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 09:55 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,777,875 times
At that budget for a 3br (I assume you're talking mortgage/rent, not total budget for the month) then you can afford a 3br home in Sandy Springs, Vinings, Smyrna, Roswell East Cobb and possibly Buckhead. So your options are pretty wide open and these are all great areas and very convenient to Perimeter Center.

I would NOT look at Dekalb county with kids, unless Decatur. That means I would NOT consider Dunwoody or Brookhaven, UNLESS you send the kids to private school (but that'll kill your house budget, and your better off in the Vinings area for private schools - it has the best). The Dekalb school system is in shambles and the county is having major issues financially. Even the best schools there are probably going to fall to pieces.

Old 06-13-2014, 05:21 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,661,614 times
The original poster mentioned renting and that they had a few years until the start of school.

I am a consistent critic of DeKalb but, in this case, while children are little and they are new to the area, I think renting near work and getting a feel for the metro area might not be a bad strategy.

Whether working at perimeter center inside or outside the perimeter, with the increase of 1000s of employees (from State Farm, etc), and the accompanying construction, I think there could be a benefit to living close to work while learning the complexities of the metro area.

Old 06-13-2014, 10:35 AM

2,307 posts, read 2,995,264 times
OP is going to have to decide between ease of commute vs. walkability. Renting near work for now is one idea. Or renting in a walkable area where you could see yourself eventually living is another idea--and test out if you can stomach the commute. Lastminutemom's idea (of living near work now since schools aren't a big issue yet) makes sense, although not a lot of the area is walkable. Some parts of Brookhaven fit the bill--check out the neighborhood behind the Marta station w/ the new restaurants along Dresden Drive. . .and the mixed use Town Brookhaven development, while kinda tacky!!, looks fun and is walkable--maybe more of a singles place, but check it out.

Old 06-13-2014, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
Adding 285 or another highway to your commute to and from Perimeter
I-285 connects through Perimeter Center, so you don't need to add a highway. If coming from Cumberland, Vinings, or Buckhead, you don't need to use I-285 on day's it is busy since surface roads are an option without having to go too far (via Aker's Mill)

There's some nice rentals being built in Cumberland, and there's some existing good rental communities along the river on Aker's Mill / Power's Ferry in Cumberland right on the border of Sandy Springs. There's also Cumberland Pkwy and Spring Hill Pkwy just outside of Vinings, along with things in Vinings Village itself. I'd check out Promove at Windy Ridge and Cobb Pkwy since they may be able to get you a good deal.

Old 06-13-2014, 11:26 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,935,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
I-285 connects through Perimeter Center, so you don't need to add a highway. If coming from Cumberland, Vinings, or Buckhead, you don't need to use I-285 on day's it is busy since surface roads are an option without having to go too far (via Aker's Mill)
Oops, you're right. I was thinking of my own commute to Northridge which is only convenient to 400. Didn't really think about Vinings. I don't know how family friendly it is. I certainly wouldn't go too far east on 285.

Old 06-13-2014, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
I don't know how family friendly it is.
Vinings and Smyrna are very friendly and the center of both Smyrna and Vinings have a walkable atmosphere. There's plenty of amenities nearby for kids to do including parks (Taylor-Brawner, etc) and places like Chuck E Cheeses, Dave and Buster's, etc. There's the Little Gym in Smyrna center. There's also some really good preschools in the area. The older rental communities (80s and 90s) are pretty reasonable in rent and sometimes these are in areas where you just can't afford a home unless you are rich. You just gotta make sure you are in the right school districts once the kids are school age: King Springs, Teasley, Smyrna Elementary and Nickajack.

Old 06-13-2014, 12:20 PM

2,307 posts, read 2,995,264 times
I used to hate my commute from Vinings to Northside hospital area near perimeter--it took 40 minutes plus, going surface streets or 285. Felt like I was always sitting in traffic.

Old 06-13-2014, 12:34 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,935,590 times
Quote:
Vinings and Smyrna are very friendly and the center of both Smyrna and Vinings have a walkable atmosphere. There's plenty of amenities nearby for kids to do including parks (Taylor-Brawner, etc) and places like Chuck E Cheeses, Dave and Buster's, etc. There's the Little Gym in Smyrna center. There's also some really good preschools in the area. The older rental communities (80s and 90s) are pretty reasonable in rent and sometimes these are in areas where you just can't afford a home unless you are rich. You just gotta make sure you are in the right school districts once the kids are school age: King Springs, Teasley, Smyrna Elementary and Nickajack.
Ah ok. That's one of those areas I'm not very familiar with and generally associate with numerous office buildings. I think my dad has been working in that area of Cobb since before I was born.

Old 06-13-2014, 05:16 PM

13 posts, read 15,720 times
Quote:

There's some nice rentals being built in Cumberland, and there's some existing good rental communities along the river on Aker's Mill / Power's Ferry in Cumberland right on the border of Sandy Springs. There's also Cumberland Pkwy and Spring Hill Pkwy just outside of Vinings, along with things in Vinings Village itself. I'd check out Promove at Windy Ridge and Cobb Pkwy since they may be able to get you a good deal.
When you talk about rental communities, do you mean apartments? That's one thing we have ruled out. We don't need a big yard of our own, but we live in an apartment right now and we miss at least having a little piece of grass or a patio where we can at least grill out or enjoy a nice evening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta