Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2014, 02:38 PM

23,467 posts, read 44,121,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erick295 View Post
No kidding. When someone says "while I don't see myself as a left or right perspective," they may as well say "I'm not a racist, but..." You know something bigoted is about to come out when someone starts a sentence like that.

Anyway, this thread was doomed from the first post. You know people can't have civil debates on the Internet.
That probably has something to do with naming a thread, " Atlanta's Not a World Class City".
There's some basis for civil debate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 03:41 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,445,497 times
People please, as if a World Class city is define by clubs, drunks, and weirdos. Why should Atlanta aim for superficial that other world cities are known for. As an Atlantan I don't have a identify crisis and don't need fashion or some useless form of art to tell me that I have arrived. The transportation, and Downtown night life will come.

Old 08-01-2014, 04:52 PM

296 posts, read 439,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
Wayr
You had me totally with your reasoning @ 3:27 & then CRASH... You lost your theme w/ that last paragraph.
You basically threw everything constructive you'd said earlier out the window with that last paragraph by coming down solely on some liberals. As if the reverse of what you said can't also be sited anecdotally by folks living in red states. It goes both ways... Libs can be selfish & so can conservatives. It's human nature. Go figure.
Sorry you had to go & screw up what started out quite nicely here & which I had initially hoped would direct the train of conversation back to the original story. It's unfortunate that the he said/she said political stuff that someone from outside of Atlanta injected made it into the thread. I groaned at that point when I saw left/right politics enter the fray & knew that the thread was likely doomed.
atler8, i just infused one perspective in the last para. sure there are selfish individuals in every congregation - I'm not denying that but I expect much better from liberals above all given the ideology they associate themselves with. E.g. very recently on a night out with a friend here in Boston I met 2 entrepreneurs who were involved with a startup and the discussion came to a point where one of them said how he thinks Boston is the best city in the US. Now sure, that is his opinion but out of curiosity when I asked him why he thought so this guy mentioned how the city is more educated and progressive than for example the south. He made more remarks but I had to correct him that by education he perhaps meant more people with college degrees. Just one of many 'liberals' I've come across in my time here that ruin what liberalism stands for.

Neverthless, the point that I was trying to make was that its not about left or the right when it comes to progress of a locality/county/city/country. We must lift ourselves beyond that.

Last edited by Wayr2go; 08-01-2014 at 05:01 PM..

Old 08-01-2014, 05:08 PM

32,028 posts, read 36,813,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayr2go View Post
And to be honest - while I don't see myself as a left or right perspective, living in a blue state I've seen many a "liberals" behave more selfishly than any other being alive. Some people love to carry this "I am liberal" tag to sound "educated/progressive" when in real sense that are self-centric self-righteous snobs !
Snobbish behaviour is so declasse. Frankly, the people who engage in that sort of thing are beneath contempt.

As for the selfish ones, let them paddle their own canoe. My friends and I are taking our property and going somewhere else -- where those self-centered types are NOT welcome!

Old 08-01-2014, 09:25 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,242,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
For sure, Atlanta is not a top tier world class city. We are however not mincemeat. I can confidently say that there are maybe 30 or so cities in the entire world that are "ahead" of us. That's not bad considering how many cities there are in this world.

We shouldn't be surprised either that we aren't "there" yet. With the exception of only a few cities with unique circumstances, it takes hundreds of years for a city to reach "world class status". We're well on our way to that now and our cities culture will not allow for us to rest on our laurels at any point for the foreseeable future. While no one in this thread will see that day we can contribute to it by being apart of evolving the cities culture, becoming involved in local politics or planning, and by generally advocating for what type of city we want to be.

Sitting around talking about what Atlanta "isn't" won't get us anywhere.
I love this post. Great point about the 30 or so cities ahead of us, that is spot on. It is something to be very proud of.

Old 08-02-2014, 05:29 AM

109 posts, read 151,923 times
There are only a few world-class American city: New York, LA, SF, Boston, DC, and Chicago.

I lived in NY and now live in Boston but may move to Atl. Who cares if it's not world class? It's nice, inexpensive, and has good weather.

Old 08-02-2014, 06:09 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,641,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlofCardigan View Post
There are only a few world-class American city: New York, LA, SF, Boston, DC, and Chicago.

I lived in NY and now live in Boston but may move to Atl. Who cares if it's not world class? It's nice, inexpensive, and has good weather.
^^^what he said

Old 08-02-2014, 06:12 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,882,447 times
I agree with the underlying message of the article: Cities should focus on being a great place to live and not building huge attractions.

The definition of a "World Class City" is debatable And Atlanta could be in or out depending on how you define it.

Old 08-02-2014, 07:30 AM

296 posts, read 439,609 times
Slightly off topic - but did Atlanta's population really decline since 2009? One of the figures shows Atlanta's population in 2009 over 500k and in 6 years its down to 400-something-k. What happened?

Old 08-02-2014, 07:38 AM

32,028 posts, read 36,813,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayr2go View Post
Slightly off topic - but did Atlanta's population really decline since 2009? One of the figures shows Atlanta's population in 2009 over 500k and in 6 years its down to 400-something-k. What happened?
The 2009 estimates were way off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta