Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 03:15 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,438,386 times

Advertisements

No offense to anyone, but I'm starting to notice overweight police officers for the City of Atlanta. My concern is the Officer not being able to run, which I saw three ago after one Officer was running after someone. Does anyone currently know what the weight policy and physical stamina requirements for the City of Atlanta Police department. As an Officer I would think you simply must be able to run at fairly brisk pace.

Old 08-07-2014, 03:18 PM

10,019 posts, read 8,627,751 times
It's not just Atlanta,it's every where.
I once saw a cop that had to be close to 400 lbs.

Old 08-07-2014, 08:28 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,145,028 times
Yes, it is everywhere. I'm not sure there are ongoing requirements - perhaps the requirements are only at the time the officers join the force. Not sure. It's really similar to the nurse phenomenon. Living near Piedmont Hospital, I've driven past a number of times - only to see a bunch of nurses standing around taking a smoking break. And then you have the thing that lots of nurses are very overweight. Way overweight, but they are into healthcare. Go figure. Whatever floats someone's boat. Just find it ironic that they are specifically in the field of promoting good health and standing outside smoking and many times very overweight. But hey, maybe they are good nurses and that counts for something!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasfinn View Post
It's not just Atlanta,it's every where.
I once saw a cop that had to be close to 400 lbs.

Old 08-08-2014, 06:50 AM

668 posts, read 994,223 times
Unfortunately it's an issue that's been around for as long as cops have stopped walking beats and started spending 8-12 hour shifts sitting in a car. The nature of the job often promotes eating lousy fast food meals, either because that's all they have time for or because they're the only places open at 2am. The relatively low salary often requires a second job, which if its working security, can also require large amounts of time sitting around. Add in any family demands, and that leaves very little time off the job exercise.

Old 08-08-2014, 07:04 AM

103 posts, read 327,538 times
I have to agree with the 400lbs cop sighting. I live in VInnings and I was at the local Publix and I saw a cop with a stomach as big as...lawd...I cant descrbe. I was just coming from my run and though I am a slow runner...I sure can out run him...it is sad, but like the poster said above..lack of walking, bad food and pay, family...makes it hard to carve out that time to work out. But it is a trend that is getting bigger...no pun intended.

Old 08-08-2014, 07:07 AM

368 posts, read 539,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nast View Post
Unfortunately it's an issue that's been around for as long as cops have stopped walking beats and started spending 8-12 hour shifts sitting in a car.
Exactly. The Beltline cops are super fit. Shows the health difference between a car-oriented lifestyle and a walking/biking/transit oriented lifestyle.

Old 08-08-2014, 07:29 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,640,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
Exactly. The Beltline cops are super fit. Shows the health difference between a car-oriented lifestyle and a walking/biking/transit oriented lifestyle.
Not sure if there is an exact correlation. Growing up, as walkable as NYC is and at a time where there were more "beat cops", I remember an inordinate amount of over weight cops.

Old 08-08-2014, 08:13 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,033,541 times
Its not just cops, but as someone said.. the work patterns do not make eating healthy food easy. The cheapest food is fast food.

Old 08-08-2014, 08:50 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,993,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovenyc View Post
Not sure if there is an exact correlation. Growing up, as walkable as NYC is and at a time where there were more "beat cops", I remember an inordinate amount of over weight cops.
I was about to say the same thing. There are so many of them on the NYPD, the City should change it's official seal to that of fat mustachioed cop in aviator sunglasses lumbering down the street while he stuffs a bagel in his mouth.

Old 08-08-2014, 10:27 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,640,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
I was about to say the same thing. There are so many of them on the NYPD, the City should change it's official seal to that of fat mustachioed cop in aviator sunglasses lumbering down the street while he stuffs a bagel in his mouth.
it's a mixture of the fat mustachioed cop in aviator sunglasses, or the tatted, muscle-bound, 'roid-head' paratroopers now. Scary combination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: