Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 06:03 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,749,084 times

Advertisements

Just want to know because people say Stockbrigde is bad because of Clayton. But why isn't Fayetteville like that? I seen plenty of Clayton tags at the Fayette Pavilion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2014, 06:23 PM

186 posts, read 349,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Just want to know because people say Stockbrigde is bad because of Clayton. But why isn't Fayetteville like that? I seen plenty of Clayton tags at the Fayette Pavilion.
Because Stockbridge is not bad nor is Riverdale that bad. I mean really people really are these the only threads we can make?

Old 08-07-2014, 08:33 PM

567 posts, read 890,360 times
Quote:
It depends on who you talk to. Some people would say Fayetteville is "horrible" now because of there are so many Clayton tags down there. You got to remember though. I lot of what is "bad" in metro Atlanta is just code for something else

Old 08-07-2014, 08:51 PM

186 posts, read 349,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listennow32 View Post
It depends on who you talk to. Some people would say Fayetteville is "horrible" now because of there are so many Clayton tags down there. You got to remember though. I lot of what is "bad" in metro Atlanta is just code for something else
I know that, here in Atlanta perception is reality to most.

Old 08-07-2014, 09:20 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,935,779 times
Quote:
Wait. Aren't you the one who's ALWAYS saying that Clayton County isn't as bad as people make it out to be? I guess that doesn't include Riverdale ...

Anyway, the reasons Fayetteville hasn't become Riverdale (and Fayette County hasn't turned into Clayton) are simple really:

1. Lack of low-income housing, particularly rental housing.

2. Very aggressive and effective law enforcement agencies, including a sheriff's department that for many years has maintained a heavy patrol presence along the borders with Clayton and Fulton counties. Also, Fayette County's judicial system is among the toughest in the state. Frankly, if you commit a crime in Fayette County, you're very stupid ... because you'll be caught and sent away for a long time. And that leads to another ugly truth: The overwhelming majority of all crime that occur in Fayette County are committed by persons crossing the line from Clayton or Fulton. (See links below)

3. Very stringent zoning, building and development codes that have been in place for years and strictly limit the size and types of businesses that can locate in the city. (For example, Fayetteville has no zoning category to allow sex shops, tattoo parlors and pawn shops). Further, there are no bars or liquor stores anywhere in Fayette County, except Peachtree City. Commercial development ordinances address the size and type of signs, brick color, roof material, and landscaping. Ever noticed how the Pavilion is in a forest? That's not by accident. The builder had to plant two trees for every one he cut down.

4. A very effective (for the most part) leadership, both elected officials and employees, that has worked for years to maintain a high quality of life.

5. Excellent school system, led by qualified school board members (unlike Clayton), among the top 5 districts in the state (unlike Clayton) and the pride and joy of the community (unlike Clayton). People move to Fayette County because they want their kids to attend Fayette County Schools (unlike Clayton).

Finally, and this might be most important: Fayette County has a strong sense of community and place that compels people to stay. For example, my family has been there since the 1820s. And most of my extended family still lives in and around Fayette County. Many of my high school classmates still live in Fayette Coiunty, or their families do. There's an amazing amount of tradition and history there, as well as pride. The transient population is very low.

Also, unlike a lot of places around Metro Atlanta, Fayette County has not experienced "white flight" -- despite a sharp increase in minorities in recent years. On the contrary, the black population of North Fayette County is among the wealthiest in the United States -- and they moved there for the same reasons white people did. In fact, the affluent black neighborhoods in North Fayette are the ones most threatened by Riverdale and Clayton County -- and they've become very vocal recently about demanding more police protection.

Burglaries on sharp rise in north Fayette | The Citizen

N. Fayette shooting investigation continues | The Citizen

Fayetteville police closing in on Kohl's attacker | The Citizen

1 restaurant gunman found dead; other at-large | The Citizen

Charges filed in three dozen auto break-ins | The Citizen

Last edited by Newsboy; 08-07-2014 at 09:58 PM..

Old 08-08-2014, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Wait. Aren't you the one who's ALWAYS saying that Clayton County isn't as bad as people make it out to be? I guess that doesn't include Riverdale ...

I made this thread to see why Fayette County isn't effected by Clayton, but Stockbridge is. Especially when Fayetteville is down the street from one of the most ghetto part of the metro, and Stockbribge is down the street from one of the most affuent neighborhoods in the Metro. Or maybe Henry isn't as great as people say...
Anyway, the reasons Fayetteville hasn't become Riverdale (and Fayette County hasn't turned into Clayton) are simple really:

1. Lack of low-income housing, particularly rental housing.

Do you mean housing built for renting(Apartments), or just the amount of renters. I find Apartments in Clayton that look like they're suburban projects. But most single family neighborhoods aren't bad.
2. Very aggressive and effective law enforcement agencies, including a sheriff's department that for many years has maintained a heavy patrol presence along the borders with Clayton and Fulton counties. Also, Fayette County's judicial system is among the toughest in the state. Frankly, if you commit a crime in Fayette County, you're very stupid ... because you'll be caught and sent away for a long time. And that leads to another ugly truth: The overwhelming majority of all crime that occur in Fayette County are committed by persons crossing the line from Clayton or Fulton. (See links below)

Two Words: Victor Hill
3. Very stringent zoning, building and development codes that have been in place for years and strictly limit the size and types of businesses that can locate in the city. (For example, Fayetteville has no zoning category to allow sex shops, tattoo parlors and pawn shops). Further, there are no bars or liquor stores anywhere in Fayette County, except Peachtree City. Commercial development ordinances address the size and type of signs, brick color, roof material, and landscaping. Ever noticed how the Pavilion is in a forest? That's not by accident. The builder had to plant two trees for every one he cut down.

Didn't really notice the trees at first. I just thought they were there, just because. I also love how kept up the area is. When I'm in Stockbridge it feels 90's like.
4. A very effective (for the most part) leadership, both elected officials and employees, that has worked for years to maintain a high quality of life.

5. Excellent school system, led by qualified school board members (unlike Clayton), among the top 5 districts in the state (unlike Clayton) and the pride and joy of the community (unlike Clayton). People move to Fayette County because they want their kids to attend Fayette County Schools (unlike Clayton).

Yeah you are right about that. In Clayton people care less about the school system. Instead of trying to fix it they just send their kids to Charter or Private school.
Finally, and this might be most important: Fayette County has a strong sense of community and place that compels people to stay. For example, my family has been there since the 1820s. And most of my extended family still lives in and around Fayette County. Many of my high school classmates still live in Fayette Coiunty, or their families do. There's an amazing amount of tradition and history there, as well as pride. The transient population is very low.

Also, unlike a lot of places around Metro Atlanta, Fayette County has not experienced "white flight" -- despite a sharp increase in minorities in recent years. On the contrary, the black population of North Fayette County is among the wealthiest in the United States -- and they moved there for the same reasons white people did. In fact, the affluent black neighborhoods in North Fayette are the ones most threatened by Riverdale and Clayton County -- and they've become very vocal recently about demanding more police protection.

Burglaries on sharp rise in north Fayette | The Citizen

N. Fayette shooting investigation continues | The Citizen

Fayetteville police closing in on Kohl's attacker | The Citizen

1 restaurant gunman found dead; other at-large | The Citizen

Charges filed in three dozen auto break-ins | The Citizen
Thanks for the info. Hopefully Clayton and Henry can learn from Fayette.

Old 08-08-2014, 06:43 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,241,774 times
I think its too late for Clayton and Henry to learn from Fayette. The difference comes down to zoning, and they can't raze everything and start over. What effected Clayton and then Henry was cheap tract homes and cheap apartments. None of that ages well. Clayton did it first, then Henry did it to a somewhat lesser extent.

Fayette does not have zoning friendly to tract homes and especially not multi-family housing. That is the major difference. Newsboy notes other very important factors, but zoning is the core difference.

In reference to Newsboy's comments, unfortunately white flight did occur, it just wasn't all over the county. North Fayette used to be predominately white, now it is predominately black, and it happened pretty quickly. Also, Fayette County, not Fayetteville, has zoned for sex shops. The are just areas in business parks far off the road.

Old 08-08-2014, 09:14 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,935,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
I think its too late for Clayton and Henry to learn from Fayette. The difference comes down to zoning, and they can't raze everything and start over. What effected Clayton and then Henry was cheap tract homes and cheap apartments. None of that ages well. Clayton did it first, then Henry did it to a somewhat lesser extent.

Fayette does not have zoning friendly to tract homes and especially not multi-family housing. That is the major difference. Newsboy notes other very important factors, but zoning is the core difference.

In reference to Newsboy's comments, unfortunately white flight did occur, it just wasn't all over the county. North Fayette used to be predominately white, now it is predominately black, and it happened pretty quickly. Also, Fayette County, not Fayetteville, has zoned for sex shops. The are just areas in business parks far off the road.
I wouldn't exactly call what happened in North Fayette "white flight" True, most of the neighborhoods in the north end of the county used to be all white and that has been replaced by African-American families. Dix Lee'On and LaFayette Estates are both good examples. But a lot of the newer big-house subdivisions, like Country Lake, Northridge and Hampstead Heath, attracted black homeowners from the very beginning. So there wasn't a huge exodus of whites replaced by blacks. It happened gradually, and over about 20 years. You might be surprised how "mixed" many of the neighborhoods in North Fayette remain today. Remember, the NAACP had a tough time drawing a majority-minority voting district out of North Fayette. In 2010, the Census tracts in that part of the county still showed a slight majority.

Old 08-08-2014, 10:08 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,241,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
I wouldn't exactly call what happened in North Fayette "white flight" True, most of the neighborhoods in the north end of the county used to be all white and that has been replaced by African-American families. Dix Lee'On and LaFayette Estates are both good examples. But a lot of the newer big-house subdivisions, like Country Lake, Northridge and Hampstead Heath, attracted black homeowners from the very beginning. So there wasn't a huge exodus of whites replaced by blacks. It happened gradually, and over about 20 years. You might be surprised how "mixed" many of the neighborhoods in North Fayette remain today. Remember, the NAACP had a tough time drawing a majority-minority voting district out of North Fayette. In 2010, the Census tracts in that part of the county still showed a slight majority.
True. It wasn't a super quick snap sort of White Flight, but a lot of white people moved out because black people moved in. I blanket that under White Flight. There are still white folks living in north Fayette, but it seems like its almost all black in the actual developed neighborhoods.

And yes, I remember them gerrymandering the hell out of that stupid majority minority distinct.

Old 08-08-2014, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post

Well, Its not like they aren't building new houses, and many old one have/are being renovated(including mine). I can see some apartments being rebuilt. Not sure what tract housing is though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta