Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 05:04 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,747,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigATL View Post
It needs to be revitalized and more upscale than what it is now.Referring to the rooftop bar,that sounds like a great idea with a great view of the skyline distance away.
But why? I love the mall at West End, I still have fond memories of it as a kid. I honestly hate anything thats "upscale". What about the residents that live there now. There doesn't need to be 20 Buckhead's in this city, ya know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2014, 07:22 PM

2,437 posts, read 3,850,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
What's wrong with it?
I'm not saying something is wrong it. I just asked what you'd to it if anything -- even if its a better version of itself. Is it absolutely perfect as is and could not use any investment of any sort?

Old 08-25-2014, 08:23 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,101,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjam View Post
A nice rooftop bar/lounge and a music venue since the AUC is a stones throw away
AUC people already have Castleberry Hil/Peters St for the bar scene. And Edgewood is quickly becoming a destination for that crowd too.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:41 PM

186 posts, read 349,479 times
Quote:
But why? I love the mall at West End, I still have fond memories of it as a kid. I honestly hate anything thats "upscale". What about the residents that live there now. There doesn't need to be 20 Buckhead's in this city, ya know.
I agree, not everything has to cater to the upper middle class in this country. I personally like the West End as a neighborhood, it needs to be cleaned up but other than that it a great "urban" neighborhood that can give people the "urban lifestyle" that they may be looking for.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigATL View Post
It needs to be revitalized and more upscale than what it is now.Referring to the rooftop bar,that sounds like a great idea with a great view of the skyline distance away.

That's the problem with Atlanta, we keep knocking down areas for the sake of making them upscale. But then those same people who are always talking about making stuff upscale will turn around and say Atlanta has no soul or culture. Well perhaps if we didn't knock everything down just to build some cookie cutter generic BS then it would have more culture.

Not to mention that from a business standpoint getting rid of what is there and bringing in upscale businesses will not work in the long run because those upscale stores will not stay open for that long whereas the stores that are currently there have no problem making money. Just as I was saying in the Five Points thread, the dynamics of Atlanta will not allow for a good business environment to make money in an area like West End or Five Points if you try to do what you are recommending. You have to look at the West End area itself, it's history as well as the current amenities in that area, MARTA being the main one. Then you have to look at the overall attitude in Atlanta also. The West End MARTA station will always be there, so even if you get rid of those stores and open up cute little bistros and shops a good # of folks will not go after the newness wears off because, well lets just be honest-there will always be Black folks young and old getting off the train at West End and walking across Lee St regardless of what type of stores are there. And some, not all, of the people who would go to these "upscale" establishments as you call them would get freaked out by that. And all that will translate into is businesses that can't keep the lights on because customers are not coming in and then fast forward a year or so and all you will have left is a vacant storefront. Kudos for trying but I just don't think its a smart idea from a money making perspective. Especially not when stores like Finish Line, Athletes Foot, J Jazz and FTL do huuuge business in that area.

Old 08-25-2014, 09:06 PM

Quote:
I wish I could rep you bro but it says I cant anymore. Your post is dripping with too much truth, lol.
West End Mall was for sure a focal point of my youth. From going in there as a young kid with my Mom every weekend when she would get her hair done at the salon that used to be in the back where the stairs to the Sears entrance used to be. Then as a teenager going in there to buy clothes from Oscar's or a new pair of shoes from FTL, or even CD's back when Peppermint was open. Hell I even cut class at Washington High a few times to go down to the Mall to pick up the new Jordan's (yes I am so old that Jordan's came out on Wednesdays when I was a kid ). Or even going to the old Coney Island that used to be across the street from the mall at 1AM in the morning with a serious case of the munchies. That entire area is like one fond memory after another for me.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:34 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,876,597 times
i can't pass opinion yet. i need to go and check it out. i've been by it many times, but never in it.

Old 08-26-2014, 03:33 AM

2,437 posts, read 3,850,918 times
Goodness, people. Nobody is dissing West End Mall (although I'd prefer South Dekalb -- I'm an eastside dude myself ). I'm just asking what would you do to it with a blank check. Keep it as a mall? Fine. But are you saying a theater is a bad idea? Or perhaps a natural (affordable) grocery component or farmers' market?

Basically you guys are telling me that if you owned that entire property (parking lot and all) and was given a blank check to do whatever you want with it, you would return it saying, "No thank you. I don't want this money because we are fine just the way we are"?

If I asked the same question about Lenox, Phipps Plaza, or Atlantic Station, there would be pages of different ideas...

Old 08-26-2014, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
Goodness, people. Nobody is dissing West End Mall (although I'd prefer South Dekalb -- I'm an eastside dude myself ). I'm just asking what would you do to it with a blank check. Keep it as a mall? Fine. But are you saying a theater is a bad idea? Or perhaps a natural (affordable) grocery component or farmers' market?

Basically you guys are telling me that if you owned that entire property (parking lot and all) and was given a blank check to do whatever you want with it, you would return it saying, "No thank you. I don't want this money because we are fine just the way we are"?

If I asked the same question about Lenox, Phipps Plaza, or Atlantic Station, there would be pages of different ideas...

Not saying you were dissing, I totally see where you are coming from. But by asking that you inevitably opened up the door to people who want to totally change the demo of West End completely and that I do have an issue with.

Of course people would take the money. But I personally wouldn't change any of the stores by trying to bring upscale in, I would just renovate the mall and add more cameras and security so shoppers feel safer. And a movie theater would definitely work since most folks on that side have to go to Camp Creek or AS now that Magic Johnson at Greenbriar closed.

Oh yeah- Westside>>>>>Eastside
Although South Dekalb did always have much better looking girls than West End or Greenbriar.

Old 08-26-2014, 06:40 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Whatever restaurants and retail to serve the local residents. If people want upscale, Buckhead is a short train ride away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta