Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 07:18 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,101,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
Lil Scrappy, OJ the Juice and the rest of the garbage pail kids that Atlanta supports.
I remember when Lil Scrappy used to be in this dance group back in the day, they all had died blonde hair like the R&B singer Sisqo and they would go around to teen clubs, school dances and house parties and stuff like that. They had a routine where they would start off ticking (break dancing) and then finish off with popping their @ss like girls. When he came out as a "hard core" rapper I was really scratching my head on that one. More power to him though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2014, 11:46 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
I will watch this later, but I have a love hate thing with Atlanta rap/ hip hop.

There is SO MUCH STUPID coming out of rappers from Atlanta. Not all of them, but way too many scumbags with no talent and terrible beats rapping about S that has already been done time and time again. Not to mention the negative influence it has on some people is quantifiable.

Then you have Outkast. I really don't understand how Atlanta can produce the greatest rap group of all time, then continue to pump out the lowest hanging fruit of the rap genre. I don't get it.
Agreed. I have "rediscovered" some early Outkast lately and had forgotten how awesome they are.

Old 09-11-2014, 02:55 PM

8,486 posts, read 15,002,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post

Then you have Outkast. I really don't understand how Atlanta can produce the greatest rap group of all time, then continue to pump out the lowest hanging fruit of the rap genre. I don't get it.
Meh, people say this and conviently ignore how hard NYC and LA fell in the talent department over the last 20 years.

Old 09-11-2014, 02:58 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,786,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Meh, people say this and conviently ignore how hard NYC and LA fell in the talent department over the last 20 years.
They been drinking haterade

Old 09-11-2014, 07:54 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,527,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
Happens all the time.

Rae Sremmund moved here from Mississippi and now has a hit. The Migos moved here from Athens same thing. Da Brat moved down from Chicago trying to make it here same as Ludicris. Pastor Troy moved here from Augusta, T-Pain from Tallahassee.

And it's not just the Rap industry. Usher's mom moved him here from Chattanooga to give him a better shot as a singer. Two of TLCs members moved down from up north partly to pursue a career in music.

And on the flip side Kelly Rowlands mom moved her from Atlanta to Houston to try and make it in a new yet to prove them self group Destinys Child.
you reaching..The Brat & Tpain moved after they blow up.
Didn't Luda & Usher grow up here or did they move here as adults?

Old 09-11-2014, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
Our rappers are better than Columbus rappers.
lol he kinda set himself up for that one.anyone if a dvd of this doc coming out?

Old 09-11-2014, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post
I remember when Lil Scrappy used to be in this dance group back in the day, they all had died blonde hair like the R&B singer Sisqo and they would go around to teen clubs, school dances and house parties and stuff like that. They had a routine where they would start off ticking (break dancing) and then finish off with popping their @ss like girls. When he came out as a "hard core" rapper I was really scratching my head on that one. More power to him though.
yo Chevy man tell me about Raheem the Dream & Kilo Ali...was Atlanta supporting them a lot back in the days?who are some of the other Artist that were different from their rap persona? Why do ou think the south didn't embrace Jermaine Dupree like they did Sleepy Brown & Rico Wade?

Old 09-12-2014, 02:04 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,101,580 times
Quote:
yo Chevy man tell me about Raheem the Dream & Kilo Ali...was Atlanta supporting them a lot back in the days?who are some of the other Artist that were different from their rap persona? Why do ou think the south didn't embrace Jermaine Dupree like they did Sleepy Brown & Rico Wade?
Raheem and Kilo were huge. I remember when Kilo came out with "Love in your mouth" and a friend of mine at the time got suspended from school for singing the chorus of that song to a girl in class. At the time you don't really think about it, but that mess was real raunchy and elementary school age kids have no business even knowing what that song was about. But hey we didn't know any better. LOL. I remember Kilo's songs being more popular and catchy, but then I always remember Raheem being on the radio with Greg Street a lot and involved in other local things too, so I think their impact was about even. But then again I was also just a young kid when they were hot, someone who was grown in the early 90's may have a different perspective.

As far as rappers who were different from their rap persona I really can't say. But I do know of a few rappers who really were about the life that they rapped. Shawty Lo being the main one. It's crazy because I know him and D4L got clowned nationally when "Laffy Taffy" was out, but Lo was really about that life. And Lo has to be damn near 50 because I'm 30 and I have been hearing about Lo or seeing him around since I was in elementary school. He used to ride thru my complex in different cars and all the older chicks would be on his jock hard. He used to drive foreign luxury cars back when Atlanta dudes wasn't even doing that. I remember back in the day if you saw a black dude in a Benz in the hood then you assumed he was from NYC or something because they were the only ones down here driving cars like that. Lo came from that Bowen Homes 21 crew, and I don't know why but all of their nick names ended in O, like P-Ro, J-Bo, Auto, Lo etc. and they were all known big time dope boys. Thats the same crew that former NFL RB Jamal Lewis got tied up with (snitched on) when he caught that Fed charge. Then you always heard about Lo having AIDS but I think that was a lie some dude made up because Lo was basically smashing all the chicks back then, I first heard that over 20 years ago and he's still alive so I doubt it.

Parlay from The Franchise Boys was about that life too, I know dude in passing thru other people and he's gotten indicted for 2 different murder charges and he has beaten them both. Not saying he was guilty, but I don't think a square type of dude would even be in the position to catch a murder charge. One of my older homies went to Douglas High and TI was in his class, he said TI wasn't lame or popular, just kind of in the middle. But he used to always scribble down raps in his notebook and he was telling people even back then that he was going to be a famous rapper one day. With that said he only went to Doug for a year, and then he moved to Riverdale so all his Bankhead repping is kind of looked at with a side eye from folks actually from Bankhead. And I think what JD did for the city was huge, him and his dad Mr. Mauldin did so much as far as just teaching dudes from Atlanta the money aspect of the music game and that IMO is where we have really surpassed all other urban centers. All the hate from NY rap fans aside, but we out-hustled them at their own game when it came to rap. We took the blue print they set and just completely broke the mold.

Old 09-12-2014, 09:55 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,440,115 times
Quote:
you reaching..The Brat & Tpain moved after they blow up.
Didn't Luda & Usher grow up here or did they move here as adults?
Nope. According to the T.V. biography Usher was singing as a kid when his mom decided to move to Atlanta with him specifically for the purpose of helping him get further in the music industry.

Luda is from Chicago and I know he went to college in Atlanta but he decided to stay after college in order to pursue his dream of becoming a music artist.

I mean come on. It's no secret that people all over the South East and some from other parts of the Nation see Atlanta as a place to go to make it in the Hip Hop industry.

Old 09-12-2014, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
Nope. According to the T.V. biography Usher was singing as a kid when his mom decided to move to Atlanta with him specifically for the purpose of helping him get further in the music industry.

Luda is from Chicago and I know he went to college in Atlanta but he decided to stay after college in order to pursue his dream of becoming a music artist.

I mean come on. It's no secret that people all over the South East and some from other parts of the Nation see Atlanta as a place to go to make it in the Hip Hop industry.
Your list is too short.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta