Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 09:51 AM

411 posts, read 853,640 times

Advertisements

Hubby and I may have a move to ATL in the works. I'd be working downtown and he will most likely go back to school to finish his undergrad and then on to law school possibly. He rides a motorcycle and I'm not opposed to public transport if I don't have to drive. Lol. To that end, I don't want to get stuck in ATL traffic (I used to live in Kennesaw way back when), so we'd want to be close to downtown.

But I also want to live in a historic neighborhood that SAFE and walkable. We will be traveling "home" (Greenville, SC) on a regular basis, so we don't want to come home to door being kicked in and our stuff taken. I'm also a runner and would like to be able to do that in a safe place (ie unaccosted). So how are the downtown neighborhoods doing these days? I know of Grant Park, Inman Park, VA Highlands, Kirkwood, etc. I've heard that East Atlanta is on the rise.

Are there other neighborhoods on the rise that are safe? I really like the Midtown area off of Howell Mill (by the Goat Farm). I know there are some lofts and condos over that way but are there any safe neighborhoods? I'm not opposed to living in a loft, though we have to have a decent amount of space (1200 sq ft, 2 bedrooms, etc) and a garage for the hubby's Triumph. I'm thinking that our budget will roughly be $1500/month. Maybe a little more. No kiddos yet, so schools not a factor.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 10:28 AM

1,979 posts, read 2,383,960 times
East point and College Park

Historic College Park, and Jefferson Park, Egan Park, Conley Hills, Frog Hollow are all good neighborhoods.

I think in your case though - I would pick Jefferson park - simply because there are both Bike Riders and Runners there. Also a MARTA station and an easy surface rd commute to Downtown.

Old 09-24-2014, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryska View Post
East point and College Park

Historic College Park, and Jefferson Park, Egan Park, Conley Hills, Frog Hollow are all good neighborhoods.

I think in your case though - I would pick Jefferson park - simply because there are both Bike Riders and Runners there. Also a MARTA station and an easy surface rd commute to Downtown.
College Park? Back when I lived in the area, you didn't want to go to College Park unless you wanted to get shot. Has it changed that much in 10 years?

Thanks for the other suggestions!

Old 09-24-2014, 11:11 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,725,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousejunkie View Post
Hubby and I may have a move to ATL in the works. I'd be working downtown and he will most likely go back to school to finish his undergrad and then on to law school possibly. He rides a motorcycle and I'm not opposed to public transport if I don't have to drive. Lol. To that end, I don't want to get stuck in ATL traffic (I used to live in Kennesaw way back when), so we'd want to be close to downtown.

But I also want to live in a historic neighborhood that SAFE and walkable. We will be traveling "home" (Greenville, SC) on a regular basis, so we don't want to come home to door being kicked in and our stuff taken. I'm also a runner and would like to be able to do that in a safe place (ie unaccosted). So how are the downtown neighborhoods doing these days? I know of Grant Park, Inman Park, VA Highlands, Kirkwood, etc. I've heard that East Atlanta is on the rise.

Are there other neighborhoods on the rise that are safe? I really like the Midtown area off of Howell Mill (by the Goat Farm). I know there are some lofts and condos over that way but are there any safe neighborhoods? I'm not opposed to living in a loft, though we have to have a decent amount of space (1200 sq ft, 2 bedrooms, etc) and a garage for the hubby's Triumph. I'm thinking that our budget will roughly be $1500/month. Maybe a little more. No kiddos yet, so schools not a factor.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
I'd highly recommend Grant Park, and you can easily find a 2 bed/2bath house for rent in the neighborhood with that budget. If you work downtown, the 32 bus comes every 15 min during rush hour and will take you downtown in 10 minutes. Depending on where you live in the neighborhood, the King Memorial Marta station is also convenient for rail access. Also, I personally bike downtown a lot - it's about 2.5 miles from the furthest reaches of the neighborhood, and a mile in the closest parts. Grant Park was voted the most bike friendly neighborhood in the city, so you'll see a lot of bikers, and there are also plenty of bike lanes heading into downtown if this is an option for you. A garage might be a bit harder to find - we are a historic neighborhood, which was built before cars. Garages are around, but not as common as in neighborhoods built after the car became a popular mode of transportation.

The neighborhood is fairly walkable - not midtown walkable, but there are multiple coffee shops, bars, and restaurants that are in walking distance from anywhere in the neighborhood. Also, the park has many events that you would be able to walk to, including a farmers market (I think one of the best in the metro) every Sunday from April and December. Aside from bars/restaurants, there are a couple of small family owned corner stores (sandwiches, essential groceries, beer, etc.) you can walk to from most places in the neighborhood and a really popular dog/cat product store. There are also a few small boutique stores, although that is what we are lacking as a neighborhood I think.

Safety wise Grant Park is as safe as the safest neighborhoods in Atlanta. As you would expect anywhere intown, there is occassional crime, but not any more than you would expect in other neighborhoods. Keep valuables out of your car, set the house alarm, and take the common sense precautions, and you'll be good. My wife and I walk to and from bars and restaurants late at night, use the bus and train, and have lived in our home for 3 years now, and we have not ever felt unsafe or been a victim of a crime (knock on wood!).

Old 09-24-2014, 11:12 AM

1,979 posts, read 2,383,960 times
Quote:
College Park? Back when I lived in the area, you didn't want to go to College Park unless you wanted to get shot. Has it changed that much in 10 years?

Thanks for the other suggestions!
yes - they both have.

Old 09-24-2014, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
I'd highly recommend Grant Park, and you can easily find a 2 bed/2bath house for rent in the neighborhood with that budget. If you work downtown, the 32 bus comes every 15 min during rush hour and will take you downtown in 10 minutes. Depending on where you live in the neighborhood, the King Memorial Marta station is also convenient for rail access. Also, I personally bike downtown a lot - it's about 2.5 miles from the furthest reaches of the neighborhood, and a mile in the closest parts. Grant Park was voted the most bike friendly neighborhood in the city, so you'll see a lot of bikers, and there are also plenty of bike lanes heading into downtown if this is an option for you. A garage might be a bit harder to find - we are a historic neighborhood, which was built before cars. Garages are around, but not as common as in neighborhoods built after the car became a popular mode of transportation.

The neighborhood is fairly walkable - not midtown walkable, but there are multiple coffee shops, bars, and restaurants that are in walking distance from anywhere in the neighborhood. Also, the park has many events that you would be able to walk to, including a farmers market (I think one of the best in the metro) every Sunday from April and December. Aside from bars/restaurants, there are a couple of small family owned corner stores (sandwiches, essential groceries, beer, etc.) you can walk to from most places in the neighborhood and a really popular dog/cat product store. There are also a few small boutique stores, although that is what we are lacking as a neighborhood I think.

Safety wise Grant Park is as safe as the safest neighborhoods in Atlanta. As you would expect anywhere intown, there is occassional crime, but not any more than you would expect in other neighborhoods. Keep valuables out of your car, set the house alarm, and take the common sense precautions, and you'll be good. My wife and I walk to and from bars and restaurants late at night, uses the bus and train, and have lived in our home for 3 years now, and we have not ever felt unsafe or been a victim of a crime (knock on wood!).
Thanks so much! This is the kind of perspective I'm looking for. We lived in a dodgy neighborhood in Columbia, SC for awhile and even having an alarm system didn't make any difference. They'd just kick in the back door and take what they could (a flat screen TV for instance...) Geez, I hated that place. But as a result, I don't take any chances in regards to security.

Our current neighborhood outside of Greenville, SC is super safe and very neighborly. We get together for BBQs, etc. We're three blocks from downtown which has a coffee shop, a pizzeria, etc. We (I) really love that vibe. We wouldn't necessarily need a garage. A shed would wide enough access to pull the Triumph in would work.

Thanks again!

Old 09-24-2014, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Thanks so much! This is the kind of perspective I'm looking for. We lived in a dodgy neighborhood in Columbia, SC for awhile and even having an alarm system didn't make any difference. They'd just kick in the back door and take what they could (a flat screen TV for instance...) Geez, I hated that place. But as a result, I don't take any chances in regards to security.

Our current neighborhood outside of Greenville, SC is super safe and very neighborly. We get together for BBQs, etc. We're three blocks from downtown which has a coffee shop, a pizzeria, etc. We (I) really love that vibe. We wouldn't necessarily need a garage. A shed would wide enough access to pull the Triumph in would work.

Thanks again!
No problem. Grant Park definitely sounds like a good fit. Small town vibe in a big city, and the largest historic district in the area. We also have neighborhood parties (do a search for the Mothball), block parties, movie nights in some of the larger yards or the park (generally they are fundraisers for the schools that ask for a small donation), and small music nights in the park. We are also next to some really great neighborhoods with plenty of other restaurants and bars, such as Cabbagetown, Inman Park, and Old Fourth Ward. Along with the large events that take place in the park and the zoo (Brew at the Zoo!), you won't find yourself needing to leave the general area very often.

Old 09-24-2014, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
No problem. Grant Park definitely sounds like a good fit. Small town vibe in a big city, and the largest historic district in the area. We also have neighborhood parties (do a search for the Mothball), block parties, movie nights in some of the larger yards or the park (generally they are fundraisers for the schools that ask for a small donation), and small music nights in the park. We are also next to some really great neighborhoods with plenty of other restaurants and bars, such as Cabbagetown, Inman Park, and Old Fourth Ward. Along with the large events that take place in the park and the zoo (Brew at the Zoo!), you won't find yourself needing to leave the general area very often.
It does indeed sound like a good fit. Out of curiosity--what about Ormewood Park? It seems to be right next door to Grant Park. It may be a little closer to our price range when it comes time to buy.

Old 09-24-2014, 11:39 AM

Quote:
It does indeed sound like a good fit. Out of curiosity--what about Ormewood Park? It seems to be right next door to Grant Park. It may be a little closer to our price range when it comes time to buy.
Ormewood Park is definitely nice as well. I'd say it's a little cheaper mainly because it's a little more of a suburban feel than Grant Park. It's a really tight knit neighborhood as well with old, well taken care of homes, but it doesn't have the walkability that Grant Park has, or the access to transit. Many people from that area will bike or drive to Grant Park/East Atlanta or other surrounding neighborhoods for restaurants and entertainment. They do have Morelli's though which is the best ice cream shop in the city IMO, and a couple of other restaurants in the same development. There is also the Glenwood Park development in Ormewood Park that has a number of great restaurants. I'd say if you want walkability, the best part of Ormewood Park to look in will be the northern end, closer to Glenwood. I think a bus might run close to there as well for transit.

Also, Ormewood Park doesn't have "the park". Grant Park is desirable for a number of reasons, but the biggest one probably being the ginormous park sitting in the middle of the neighborhood, along with the Zoo on the south end of the park. Ormewood Park doesn't have that.

When we were buying we also looked in Ormewood Park because of price. My first choice was Grant Park, and eventually we got lucky and found something in our budget, but Ormewood Park wasn't out of the running.

Old 09-24-2014, 11:40 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Like Grant Park, Kirkwood offers the small town feel in a big city. Its further from downtown, but is served by 2 MARTA rail stations. Both neighborhoods have seen the crime rate decrease as more stable people move in looking to set down roots in the areas. Both communities have strong neighborhood associations and lots of greenspace. I know for sure that $1500/month can get you a good 2/1 or even a small 3/2 in Kirkwood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta