Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 08:28 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,108,189 times

Advertisements

The developer of Streets of Buckhead (Ben Carter) would never allow a free MARTA shuttle like the one at AS. Carter is a native and he knows in Atlanta that a free MARTA shuttle is a recipe for disaster. A free shuttle would attract the teenage thugs who just want to be "seen" hanging out at SOB, with no intent to buy anything, similar to the ones that hang at Lenox. Besides, no one shopping there needs/wants to take a bus.
In my opinion, the free shuttle at AS has been a disaster for the development (combined with the section 8 apartments they put up).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 08:33 PM

292 posts, read 635,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
The developer of Streets of Buckhead (Ben Carter) would never allow a free MARTA shuttle like the one at AS. Carter is a native and he knows in Atlanta that a free MARTA shuttle is a recipe for disaster. A free shuttle would attract the teenage thugs who just want to be "seen" hanging out at SOB, with no intent to buy anything, similar to the ones that hang at Lenox. Besides, no one shopping there needs/wants to take a bus.
In my opinion, the free shuttle at AS has been a disaster for the development (combined with the section 8 apartments they put up).
Yes. From what I ave heard, AS has been going down the drain for some time!

Old 09-28-2009, 09:54 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,801,761 times
Quote:
There was a period when things seem to have gone "somewhat bad".But Over the last year it has been extremely quiet at A.S.It's not like that area is upscale anyway.Its moderate really.Things do change,and sometimes for the better as I have heard recently at A.S.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:56 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,889,276 times
Quote:
The developer of Streets of Buckhead (Ben Carter) would never allow a free MARTA shuttle like the one at AS.
But um... don't they already have one? It's not run by MARTA but it's still a free shuttle/bus servicing that area.

BucRide | Buckhead Free Shuttle | Buckhead Bus Service

Old 09-29-2009, 05:38 AM

288 posts, read 543,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy1980 View Post
What do the atlantians think about this new shopping center www.thestreetsofbuckhead.com . And please tell me they did not have to knock down any beautiful homes just for this mess.
I can't wait to pay 7 dollars for a cup of coffee and sit with people flaunting their 100 dollar shirts.

I will always miss the old buckhead from the 80's where you could buy a pitcher of beer and shoot pool or listen to live bands.

But anything is an improvement over the buckhead club district of 2001.

I don't think these stores will have the sales volume to justify their rent. You can get everyting at phipps plaza and lenox.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:29 AM

173 posts, read 471,275 times
Quote:
Besides, no one shopping there needs/wants to take a bus.
What about tourists visiting Atlanta? What about people who care about the environment? What about people who support public transportation in the city because they would like for Atlanta to reach is maximum potential as a worldclass livable city?

And what's your gripe with Atlantic Station? First, as far as I can tell, it's a success story. Second, as with Lenox, the vast majority of people who go there drive. So public transportation is unlikely the source of any problems you have with clientelle there who are different from you.

Out of genunie curiousity and without any judgment, are you OTP?

Old 09-29-2009, 12:34 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,801,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midtownatl View Post
What about tourists visiting Atlanta? What about people who care about the environment? What about people who support public transportation in the city because they would like for Atlanta to reach is maximum potential as a worldclass livable city?

And what's your gripe with Atlantic Station? First, as far as I can tell, it's a success story. Second, as with Lenox, the vast majority of people who go there drive. So public transportation is unlikely the source of any problems you have with clientelle there who are different from you.

Nothing is wrong with Atlantic Station.Most of that is people talking about it who DO live OTP.Since there are more OTP,they seem to blow everything out of proportion..They need to crack down more on some of the loitering but other than that its ok.Not great,just ok.More convenient if any thing.

Old 09-29-2009, 01:07 PM

815 posts, read 2,137,942 times
Quote:

Dude I'm a confessed male shop-a-holic, and I see just as many if not more hillbilly tourist's walking thru Lenox and Phipps with no intention of buying anything as I do "teenage thugs" walking thru Lenox and Phipps with no intention of buying anything. While I was walking thru Phipps some years back I actually was asked by this man and his wife to take some pictures of them in front of some of the higher end stores like Versace and Hugo Boss. I literally laughed so hard on the inside because they looked like their closet consisted of nothing more than Nascar shirts and Wrangler jeans and they obviously didnt have any intention on buying anything, there only goal was to probably go back to whereever they were from with pictures of the marquee of those stores...

And FYI, those "teenage thugs" you saw in Lenox probably were gay men, teenagers stopped hanging out at Lenox back when I was in high school as it became known as the black gay male hangout...........

Old 09-29-2009, 01:13 PM

815 posts, read 2,137,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimelessClassic View Post
Yes. From what I ave heard, AS has been going down the drain for some time!

AS is doing anything but going down the drain..........Everytime I go there everything from Regal Cinemas to Rosa Mexicana is doing big business. Never see any fights or anything rowdy either.....So I dont get how AS is going down the tubes......

Old 09-29-2009, 01:13 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,108,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midtownatl View Post

Woah, I never said I was against public transit. I just know that people react differently to different types of public transit. The feeling of having to rely on a bus (or shuttle) to get around is a lot different than riding a train. I know I am not the only one who feels that way. Riding a train has a sort of cosmopolitan feel, while riding a bus is usually just a hassle and definitely does not have the same type of feel as riding a train.

With regards to AS, some may call it a success, some may call it a failure. It depends on what your expectations were going into it. Compared to Underground Atlanta, yeah I would say its a success. But there were definitely some events there that made me think twice about saying its a success compared to Midtown or Buckhead (specifically someone turing the inside Rosa Mexicano into a shooting range).

In regards to Lenox, some may drive there, but I would be willing to bet that many of the teenage thugs you see just hanging around did not drive there, or even go there to shop. That MARTA station has been a source of a lot of problems for Lenox in the past and they pay a lot of money to make sure its effects are minimized. Also, since it is a train, the tourists/environmentalists that do ride there probably cancel out the teenage thugs, but they are there nontheless.

And no, I do not live OTP. Someone's geographic location in regards to a highway seems irrelevant to thier view on the subject of free shuttles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta