Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 07:23 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,131,048 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, there's a question that I'd like to ask all of you.

A few days ago, I watched a YouTube video that showcased the Massachusetts Turnpike in the Boston area, and one thing that amazed me was the number of buildings that were constructed over the Turnpike; office buildings, streets (duh!), and even supermarkets. The same approach is taken in New York, Tokyo, and Chicago, among others.

I know that Georgia is no stranger to building construction over freeways (GA 400 in Buckhead is a prime example,) but I've never understood why the same approach isn't taken with the Downtown Connector, especially the stretch between ~14th Street and Piedmont. It seems that by allowing developers to build atop the Connector, it would allow for more mixed-use/retail development in the Midtown area, boost walkability, and reconnect both sides of the Connector. Plus, it would reduce the need for any kind of taxpayer-funded cap on the Connector, which, given the current tax-averse state of our metro area, seems very unlikely.

The downsides I could see involve opposition from commuters (construction projects on one of Atlanta's busiest freeways) and Georgia Tech (we like our semi-secluded campus).

So my question is, does it sound like a good idea? Would it make sense to allow developers to purchase "air rights" over parts of the Connector and allow them to develop atop the freeway, or does it all sound like a stupid, short-sighted idea?

Any (civil) input is appreciated!

- skbl17
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2014, 08:05 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,877,894 times
Our freeways are wider which makes it more difficult. And land values in the city have not reached as high a level as other cities. However expect to see projects in the future if the surge in development in the core continues.

Old 10-01-2014, 08:28 PM

7,359 posts, read 6,529,813 times
If it were feasible, I'd love it, but I'm afraid jsvh is right, the freeways are too wide to be structurally feasible for all but a maximum of 1-2 story constructions.

Old 10-02-2014, 07:34 AM

2,167 posts, read 2,831,286 times
Everyone should copy the Big Dig. Just a modern marvel of a safe, efficient, cost-effective construction project.

Old 10-02-2014, 08:53 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,122,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbl17 View Post

I know that Georgia is no stranger to building construction over freeways (GA 400 in Buckhead is a prime example,)
If you're referring to the Atlanta Financial Center, that was built before the 400 extension, the existing tunnel was incorporated into the building's basement.

Old 10-02-2014, 08:58 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,662,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red92s View Post
Everyone should copy the Big Dig. Just a modern marvel of a safe, efficient, cost-effective construction project.
That is what I was thinking when I read this post.

Old 10-02-2014, 11:56 AM

39 posts, read 49,978 times
As a long time Atlanta resident, I dream about building a park on top of the downtown connector. I know I am not the only one or the first one with this idea, but I have been hoping for it to happen for at least 20 years.

And as a very recent transplant to Dallas, I get to experience a bite-size sample of exactly the type of park I dreamed of for Atlanta. It is called Klyde Warren Park and it spans the Woodall Rogers Freeway which is the divider between Downtown and Uptown. It is an amazing success in every possible way and its existence has proven true the notion that an at-grade connection to areas on opposite sides of a major highway can eliminate the barrier effect entirely. Google Klyde Warren Park or click this link: Klyde Warren Park | Klyde Warren Park

It ain't cheap or easy but worthwhile endeavors seldom are!

Old 10-02-2014, 12:32 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,937,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabrio330 View Post
As a long time Atlanta resident, I dream about building a park on top of the downtown connector. I know I am not the only one or the first one with this idea, but I have been hoping for it to happen for at least 20 years.

And as a very recent transplant to Dallas, I get to experience a bite-size sample of exactly the type of park I dreamed of for Atlanta. It is called Klyde Warren Park and it spans the Woodall Rogers Freeway which is the divider between Downtown and Uptown. It is an amazing success in every possible way and its existence has proven true the notion that an at-grade connection to areas on opposite sides of a major highway can eliminate the barrier effect entirely. Google Klyde Warren Park or click this link: Klyde Warren Park | Klyde Warren Park

It ain't cheap or easy but worthwhile endeavors seldom are!
I've been there in Dallas and it's nice. Dallas has freeways on 4 sides of its downtown and the park really helps connect it to the rest of the city to the north. Atlanta has I 20 to the south but the development is really to the north along Peachtree Street. If there were any section that needed to be covered it would be directly between downtown and midtown.

Old 10-02-2014, 12:52 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,877,894 times
There are plans to cap the connector between MLK and Memorial for a linar park between the capital and Oakland. The first step in that park, removing a parking deck in front of the capital, is already happening.

Old 10-02-2014, 02:08 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,298,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
There are plans to cap the connector between MLK and Memorial for a linar park between the capital and Oakland. The first step in that park, removing a parking deck in front of the capital, is already happening.
The big question is: What about Daddy D'z?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta