Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 12:22 AM

3,615 posts, read 7,778,928 times

Advertisements

A lot of Southside/West End neighborhoods are also filling up, that went empty due to unfinished gentrification and mortgage fraud during the recession. E.g. in the less desirable West end neighborhoods, it went from 50-75% occupancy to almost 100% occupancy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 10:15 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,877,894 times
Noticed this stat:
Quote:
According to Wood Partners' numbers, Midtown's eclectic population has swelled by 105 percent since the year 2000 — from 17,000 residents to 35,000 in 2010. The area, they claim, is projected to gain another 17,000 people by 2016.
A Massive Midtown Parking Lot will Soon Look Like This - Development du Jour - Curbed Atlanta

Old 10-21-2014, 10:40 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,699,116 times
I just saw Saintmarks post here from the 17th. I couldn't have said it better myself & have written some shorter less all-encompassing thoughts before.
An obsession with raising the density in ALL areas of the COA proper seems ill advised if it decreases or does away with the natural beauty that marks much of the geographic landform of the city.
I get how & hopefully where increased density works well (think of replacing a barren plot of parking lot) but density everywhere for the sake of density & for meeting some established or imaginary standard of what a "real" dense city is is not valid or a worthy goal for the city proper of Atlanta to strive for in my view.
As such, Atlanta has nothing to apologize for for having such closein areas as those in Midtown near Penn Ave. & 8th St., or Argonne Ave. & 9th St. or Charles Allen Dr. & 6th St. where a mixtue of housing styles of usually low to mid density structures mingle with a gracious, leafy streetscape.

Old 10-21-2014, 11:47 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,141,538 times
Quote:
I'm not sure I'd classify anything in west Buckhead as "McMansion neighborhoods". Isn't a McMansion neighborhood typically tightly-packed, large, similar-looking houses packed into a development?
Those aren't "McMansions" they are actual mansions on very large lots. It's a terrible waste of space and disconnects the city from 285 to the north and 75 on the west.

Old 10-21-2014, 02:59 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Those aren't "McMansions" they are actual mansions on very large lots. It's a terrible waste of space and disconnects the city from 285 to the north and 75 on the west.
Somebody needs to tell these people their large lots are a waste of space that's blocking the way to I-285 and I-75. Can't they get it through their heads that folks from Cobb and points north and west want to drive EXACTLY where they are living?

Old 10-21-2014, 07:48 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,963,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Somebody needs to tell these people their large lots are a waste of space that's blocking the way to I-285 and I-75. Can't they get it through their heads that folks from Cobb and points north and west want to drive EXACTLY where they are living?

Well those folks from Cobb don't mess around, so they'll get it done, am I right?

Old 10-22-2014, 08:43 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,863,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post

I must be the odd Cobb Countian that enjoyed gawking at all those wasteful mansions whenever I would cut across Mt. Paran or W. Paces to get from 75 over to the real parts of the city that are dense like a city should be.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:54 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,139,089 times
I don't personally mind Buckhead and Cobb being low density. It is what it is...I do think the inner 25 square miles of Atlanta should be dense. That's a 5 by 5 mile area.

Old 10-23-2014, 04:52 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,863,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I don't personally mind Buckhead and Cobb being low density. It is what it is...I do think the inner 25 square miles of Atlanta should be dense. That's a 5 by 5 mile area.
The incorporated cities in Cobb are certainly more dense than Buckhead as well as a majority of the unincorporated part of Cobb. You have to go to the western half of the county to see any decent undeveloped tracts and they are disappearing daily.

When I first moved to Cobb in 89, you still saw plenty of multi acreage lots on the primary county roads... the type of development when land was cheaper and people looking for some breathing room would buy 2 to 10 acre plots and move to the "country." Sandy Plains Road, East Piedmont Road, Jamerson Road and any number of other county roads had many examples of this. Over the last three decades, as the large multi acreage tracts got subdivized (made up a word there), developers have then turned to these land owners and have pieced together smaller tracts to create infill subdivisions. I have watched plenty of these 60s/70s era ranches being torn down or rolled out and the large lot turned into a cul de sac of 20 (or more) quarter acre (or less) lots.

Cobb is getting denser every day. Mentioning it as on par with the majority of Buckhead is hardly an apt comparison.

Old 10-23-2014, 08:55 AM

3,615 posts, read 7,778,928 times
This is mostly just filling vacancies left by the recession. The population of Atlanta dropped precipitously during the recession even despite some ongoing development.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
The part of Cobb that borders Atlanta (Smyrna, Cumberland, South Cobb) is much more densely populated than the portions of Atlanta they immediately touch. For instance, Saintmarks mentioned Buckhead but there's also NW Atlanta as lower density than Cobb. The only portion of Atlanta that is higher density than Cobb is along MARTA from Midtown South, East Atlanta, and West End. Also, Smyrna has a higher population density than Atlanta, and Atlanta is very unlikely to catch up because of all the townhome development going on in Smyrna which really adds up. Cumberland's development frenzy right now may also surpass everything but midtown in population density.

Vinings is one exception which is more Buckhead-like in density though the very center of Vinings is very dense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta