Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 06:42 AM

994 posts, read 1,541,318 times

Advertisements

Next phase of Bob Callan trail construction to begin next year
by Meris Lutz

MARIETTA — The Bob Callan multiuse trail linking the Cumberland area to Marietta continues its path toward completion, with the next phase of construction slated to begin early next year.

The estimated $13.5 million trail is designed to stretch from the Chattahoochee National Recreation Area off Cumberland Boulevard, following Rottenwood Creek up toward Terrell Mill Road in Marietta, eventually connecting to the Mountain-to-River Trail at Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park.

“That is the ultimate vision,” said Jim Wilgus, deputy director of the Cobb Department of Transportation, which is constructing the trail on behalf of the Cumberland Community Improvement District using mostly federal funds.

At Tuesday’s Board of Commissioners meeting, the board voted to move forward with the condemnation of three parcels located along the northern portion of the trail, paving the way for the county to begin bidding out construction contracts. The $1.2 million right-of-way acquisition costs will be covered completely by a Georgia Department of Transportation grant.

The first two miles of the trail, south of Interstate 285, were completed nearly 10 years ago and have since become a popular destination for residents and visitors alike.

“In general, people, and by people I mean businesses as well, are looking more at amenities in the market … so the recreational element is really what sets our community apart,” said Malaika Rivers, executive director of the Cumberland CID.

Rivers said the Cumberland CID was still working on closing a $5 million gap to complete the trail, adding she would like to see it done as soon as possible.

Irene Cucina, a professor of health and physical education at Plymouth State University in Plymouth, New Hampshire, found the trail conveniently located to where she was staying at the Renaissance Waverly for a conference.

“I am loving it,” Cucina said, taking a moment’s pause during her run to speak to the MDJ. “It’s so easy to get to and once you get on it, you have all these great maps.”

Richard Paul, a programmer who lives in one of the nearby apartment complexes, said he comes to the trail every day to run. He said he likes the fact he can mix up his workout routine by taking different paths.

“This is pretty amazing because it’s in the middle of the forest,” said Paul, who moved to the area from Chicago a year ago. He is excited the trail is expanding.

“For me, that’s super cool,” he said.

Read more: The Marietta Daily Journal - Next phase of Bob Callan trail construction to begin next year

Old 12-22-2015, 01:24 PM

Hampton by Hilton, Hilton Worldwide‘s global brand of more than 2,020 mid-priced Hampton Inn by Hilton, Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton and Hampton by Hilton hotels,announced the groundbreaking of the latest member of the brand, the 100-room Hampton Inn Atlanta, Kennesaw.

The Hampton Inn by Hilton Atlanta, Kennesaw will be located at 3405 Busbee Drive in Kennesaw, Ga., near the Kennesaw Town Center. It will feature the hospitality giant’s Perfect Mix Lobby as an extension of the guestroom, designed with a variety of seating and lighting options for both leisure and business travelers. The property, owned by Busbee Hotel LLC and operated by Commonwealth Hotels LLC, will bring an estimated 30 new jobs to the Kennesaw area once opened in December 2016.

Commonwealth Hotels was founded in 1986 and has extensive experience managing premium-branded full-service and select-service hotels, with 4,500 rooms currently under contract and five more under development or construction.

https://www.cpexecutive.com/post/new...s-in-kennesaw/

Old 12-22-2015, 01:26 PM

KENNESAW — An amphitheater, plaza and landscaped greenspace are just a few of the features Kennesaw city employees and officials hope to include in the expansion of Depot Park, which comes as part of a broader effort to revitalize the downtown area.

Kennesaw Economic Development Director Robert Fox said he hopes to have a final concept plan for the park approved at City Council’s Dec. 21 meeting, but cautioned that construction, funded by a special purpose local option sales tax from 2011 and 2016, was still several years off.

Fox presented City Council with two proposals at a work session Wednesday at which he also discussed anticipated improvements to downtown roads and City Hall. Both proposals were drawn up by Marietta-based Croy Engineering and Atlanta-based TSW, which were hired to update a 2008 master plan for the park.

The two proposals were very similar, differing only in aesthetic details. They include about 460 additional parking spaces, an outdoor performance area, plaza and possibly a dog park, playground, additional field and even commercial space along Sardis Street bordering the park.

Fox said the plans also call for eliminating a portion of Cherokee Street and adding more pedestrian access.

“That creates a connectivity between the museum property and between the park and you really eliminate that conflict with the vehicles that we currently have,” he said. “(The expanded park) offers a lot of opportunities in terms of day-to-day use but also in terms of event space and event planning.”

Kennesaw was recently recognized by the Atlanta Regional Commission with a Livable Centers Initiative award for promoting walkable development downtown.

Both plans also reflect a vision that would require the city to acquire even more land, something not covered under the current budget. Fox was not immediately able to provide the amount of SPLOST dollars that had been earmarked for the project.

Fox said neither plan has undergone a cost evaluation yet. He said some of the initial infrastructural improvements could get started in 2016.

Councilman Jim Sebastian expressed concern that the SPLOST funds would not cover additional land acquisition .

“Is it that much more work to come up with a Plan C that, if we decide not to purchase any other property, will work with what we have today?” he asked.

Fox agreed, “We need to do that.”

“We need to look at a plan that works within the confines of the property we already have,” he said, adding that he would ask the contractors to draw up another plan.

Fox said the park plan was “integrated” with other planned changes to the streets and City Hall intended to improve the flow of foot and car traffic.

Fox also reviewed a plan to renovate the entrance to City Hall opening onto Watts Street, where a traffic circle has already been slated for construction. The work would not include changes to the building itself. A green courtyard and walkway would extend out from the entrance towards the street, replacing the concrete walk and parking lot that is there now.

Old 12-28-2015, 05:35 AM

Think you live in one of Cobb County's best suburbs? This study may surprise you.
The ranking by Niche.com calculated several factors, including home values, property taxes, housing costs and age of new home buyers.
"A high ranking indicates that a suburb attracts residents with a good housing market where property taxes and housing costs are in line with value," the report said.

The best suburbs to buy a home in Cobb County | www.ajc.com

Old 12-28-2015, 03:35 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,367,724 times
I'm not surprised to see Kennesaw listed at number 1 for Cobb, but did not expect not to see Acworth on the list. I know you know a lot about Cobb County, Hautemomma, do you by any chance know why this is? I thought that Acworth was quite similar to Kennesaw.

As for the state, I did not expect to see Holly Springs make the list. I wonder if the study took into account housing supply. Then again, I'm not completely sure if Holly Springs suffers from a lack of housing.

Old 01-08-2016, 05:05 AM

Diverging diamond coming to Wade Green, I-75

by Meris Lutz January 08, 2016
MARIETTA — Cobb is expected to build a second diverging diamond to ease traffic getting on and off Interstate 75 from Wade Green Road in northeast Cobb by the end of 2017, county officials say.

The diverging diamond is designed to eliminate the need for cars turning left onto the highway to cut across oncoming traffic by routing eastbound and westbound travel lanes across the bridge.

The Board of Commissioners is expected to approve a construction agreement with the Georgia Department of Transportation for the design and construction of the diverging diamond on Tuesday. The approval comes with a $3,000 fee paid by the county, representing 20 percent of the $15,000 construction administration fee. The other $12,000 will be paid through federal funding.

In total, the project, which was included on the 2011 special 1 percent sales tax approved by voters, is estimated to cost more than $4 million, with the state covering up to $1.8 million and the county shouldering about $3 million.

“In the mornings on Wade Green Road the traffic is awful, it’s backed up all the way into Kennesaw, so this will help alleviate a lot of traffic and make the turn lanes to get onto I-75 a lot more manageable and easier, more efficient,” said Commissioner JoAnn Birrell, who represents the area. “I think it’s a great project.”

More than 36,000 cars pass through the interchange daily, according to Jim Wilgus, the county’s interim transportation director.

The project includes widening and reconstruction of Wade Green Road and the northbound and southbound ramps onto I-75, as well as the addition of a median, sidewalks and new signalization, according to the meeting agenda.

The county recently began construction on a $17.7 million diverging diamond at the Windy Hill and I-75, of which the county will pay $6.8 million. That diverging diamond is expected to open in spring 2017.

Wilgus pointed to several differences between the diverging diamond at Windy Hill and the one planned for Wade Green.

“One of the main problems (at Windy Hill) was a safety concern that we’re trying to address, this one is more of an efficiency (concern),” Wilgus said. He added that the one at Wade Green would not include as many aesthetic features, which is one of the reasons why the cost is much lower than Windy Hill.

Wilgus said the Wade Green diverging diamond project was the first time the Georgia Department of Transportation has allowed a local government to bid out a federally-funded design/build project. That means the county will hire the contractor and designer.

“This will be an example for other government bodies in the state for how to deliver a project,” he said. “It’s very important for the state of Georgia and Cobb County.”

Wilgus estimated the Wade Green diverging diamond would take about a year to design the project and then about nine months to build it.

Old 01-08-2016, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
I'm not surprised to see Kennesaw listed at number 1 for Cobb, but did not expect not to see Acworth on the list. I know you know a lot about Cobb County, Hautemomma, do you by any chance know why this is? I thought that Acworth was quite similar to Kennesaw.

As for the state, I did not expect to see Holly Springs make the list. I wonder if the study took into account housing supply. Then again, I'm not completely sure if Holly Springs suffers from a lack of housing.
Dreamer,

As for similarities or differences between Kennesaw and Acworth, I'd say that the latter, in general, has less development and a correspondingly lower population. Kennesaw is rather large with lots of retail, housing developments of all types, companies (as a job center) and more. Acworth, in my opinion, is a less intense suburb; in other words, in Acworth people can "get away from it all" a bit more than in Kennesaw. At the same time, both areas are zoned for "good" schools and have housing stock that runs the gamut, from the low $100Ks to the $1M+ mark.

Old 01-08-2016, 05:10 AM

Town Center at Cobb mall announces upcoming stores
by MDJ staff

Simon, a global retail real estate company, announced a number of new retailers set to join Kennesaw’s Town Center at Cobb mall in 2016.

Joining the mall in early summer, Garage is an international fashion trend retailer for young adults. The 3,700-square foot store will be on the lower level of the Macy’s wing and feature trendy denim, tops, dresses and accessories.

Windsor Fashions, specializing in formalwear, shoes and accessories, is set to open this summer in a 4,100-square foot storefront. Located near Justice, shoppers will find a selection of designer and fashion dress options for every occasion from homecoming and graduation to cocktail and wedding.

Cinnabon also joins the list of casual dining options, serving its signature cinnamon rolls and other baked goods. Located on the lower level of the mall near Center Court, the bakery opens in February.

Later this summer, the mall will also welcome Charley’s Philly Steaks in the Food Court. Serving their classic grilled-to-order Philly cheese steaks, the restaurant will also carry gourmet fries smothered in a choice of toppings and natural lemonades.

Mobile accessory and repair store The Fix, is also slated to open in February near Helzberg Diamonds. Shoppers can visit the specialty retailer for the latest mobile accessories and for assistance repairing broken cellphones and tablets.

The Arches Threading & Laser, which specializes in facial threading, body waxing and eyelash extensions, recently relocated to a newly renovated 1,300-square foot storefront on the Upper Level of the JCPenney wing.

The new family accessible restroom on the Upper Level of the JCPenney wing is also now open near the Simon Kidgits Soft Play Area.

Town Center at Cobb mall features over 175 stores including anchors Macy’s, Macy’s Men’s & Furniture Gallery, Belk, Sears and JCPenney. For more information, call (770) 424-9486 or visit Town Center at Cobb - A Shopping Center In Kennesaw, GA 30144-6809 - A Simon Property.

Old 01-08-2016, 10:04 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,367,724 times
I'm glad Town Center is still doing well. When I saw Cinnabon, I got excited. LOL. I need to learn how to make my own though. And thanks for the info. regarding Acworth.

Old 01-11-2016, 11:11 AM

Kennesaw State University’s physical presence in its namesake city will continue to expand following the purchase of property east of its Kennesaw campus.

The Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia on Wednesday approved the $875,000 purchase of 1.02 acres at 3051 George Busbee Parkway from Cobb County, according to a KSU news release. The property, formerly occupied by a Kids ‘R’ Kids day care franchise, includes a 12,320-square-foot building and adjacent parking area. Funding for the purchase will come from state bonds earmarked for the university’s infrastructure expansion.

“We appreciate the Board of Regents approving this acquisition and enabling us to secure the real estate and facilities needed to meet the demands of our rapidly-growing student population,” KSU President Dan Papp said in Thursday’s release. “Space continues to be at a premium as Kennesaw State evolves into a world-class institution, so this new property will strongly support our master plan and the vision we have for the university’s future.”

http://mdjonline.com/view/full_story/27038685/article-Kennesaw-State-University-buys-more-land-on-Busbee-Parkway?instance=home_top_bullets
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta