Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 08:05 AM

29 posts, read 146,086 times

Advertisements

New Yorker born and raised here. Point of reference: found Mellow Mushroom "pizza" quite similar to what we would reject at the dining hall at my Northeast college.

On the flip side, I don't care if a place is run by New Yorkers, or even a chain, just if the pizza is authentic. One of my favorite places in California was run by two awesome Arabs who learned the business living in Queens for a few years. My picks:

1. Johnny's NY Style Pizza- 2840 East-West Connector, Austell, in the same strip mall as the Regal Cinema. Usually, "NY Style" is a great giveaway for "disgusting, and only the name is from New York." This place is also a franchise. But, my husband picked it because some of his co-workers had raved about the pizza at this PARTICULAR location. So I grinned and was ready to bear it, since Mama Niki's (below) is a bit of a drive for me, now. It was great- crispy crust, good quality and quantity of cheese, good quality sausage (none of that fatty crumbly stuff). A bit greasy, like New York-style pizza is, but nothing like Chicago style (which I also like).

They also have cannoli. I was stunned to bite through a crisp shell into fluffy, slightly sweet fresh ricotta with non-traditional (but appreciated) chocolate chips. When I complimented the waitress, she confirmed that they indeed make and bake their own fresh. (Most places pre-pipe crappy cheese, resulting in a soggy, tasteless mess.)

2. Mama Niki's- 1715 Howell Mill Rd in Atlanta, in the strip mall with the Taco Bell next to the Wal-Mart strip mall. Crisp crust, good quality/quantity cheese. Big salads (have to balance out the pizza, you know). Forgettable cheesy garlic bread.

Neither of these places have any atmosphere, unless you count sports on tv as atmosphere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 10:49 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,892,331 times
Best we have found is Ray's Brick Oven Pizza on Holcomb Bridge Rd in Roswell, on the west side of GA 400.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:29 AM
ABM

339 posts, read 993,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Yummm. Fortunatos. I'm not a NY person by any stretch, but I know a VERY good pizza when I eat it!
Try this place then.

St. Angelo's (http://stangelos.com/pizzas.html - broken link)

Old 04-04-2008, 03:47 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winter View Post
Anyone know of a good bagel place? I hear it's hard to make them like New York bagels and Jersey bagels because of the difference in water down South. Anyone know about that? Or is that a myth?
Well I'm from NJ, and the best bagels I've found are on Haynes Bridge Rd in Alpharetta at a place called Bagel Boys. They aren't perfect, but they beat faux bagels like Einstein Bros.

Old 04-05-2008, 07:15 AM
ABM

339 posts, read 993,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yosenut View Post
New Yorker born and raised here..

Yosenut, seriously, try this place and let me know what you think. Appears that you're in the area, so I'd love a "Yankee" perspective.

I'll have to admid that the "decor" is rather non-descript, but, IMO, the pizza is to die for (We enjoyed the 2-Ton Tony Family Tray).

I haven't really tried anything else there other than the Greek salad, which was great, as well. Oh, yeah, people tell me that their garlic knots (rolls) are fabulous, too. I'll try those next time I get over that way.

Old 04-05-2008, 09:22 AM

823 posts, read 2,216,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Well I'm from NJ, and the best bagels I've found are on Haynes Bridge Rd in Alpharetta at a place called Bagel Boys. They aren't perfect, but they beat faux bagels like Einstein Bros.
Einstein doesn't make bagels. They make glorified dinner rolls. The best bagel place I have found intown is Bagel Palace in Toco Hills.

Old 04-07-2008, 05:42 AM

29 posts, read 146,086 times
Default Looking forward to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABM View Post
Yosenut, seriously, try this place and let me know what you think. Appears that you're in the area, so I'd love a "Yankee" perspective.

I'll have to admid that the "decor" is rather non-descript, but, IMO, the pizza is to die for (We enjoyed the 2-Ton Tony Family Tray).

I haven't really tried anything else there other than the Greek salad, which was great, as well. Oh, yeah, people tell me that their garlic knots (rolls) are fabulous, too. I'll try those next time I get over that way.

Hi ABM, sounds like you really enjoy it. I'm looking forward to trying your find. About decor, like you, I don't pick a place based on it, but I mentioned it because some people judge their experience based partly on that (why they think a pizza restaurant should be a feast for the eyes, I'll never know).

Now for the big (off-topic) question- where do YOU go for the best Southern food?

Old 04-07-2008, 05:48 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,256,496 times
I tried St. Angelo's this past weekend. LOVED the pizza! It is very NY-style and probably the best NY style pizza here in Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta