Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2015, 09:14 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times

Advertisements

I got pulled over on Christmas night for doing a U turn in the city of Douglasville. I followed all traffic laws and there was no 'no u turn sign.' I didn't get a ticket, but was told u turns are illegal in the city. Any residents have info on this stupid law?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 09:20 AM

1,262 posts, read 2,975,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
I got pulled over on Christmas night for doing a U turn in the city of Douglasville. I followed all traffic laws and there was no 'no u turn sign.' I didn't get a ticket, but was told u turns are illegal in the city. Any residents have info on this stupid law?
I call bs. The cop was just looking for drunk folks. He gave you a bs reason because he knew that there was no way to give you a ticket for that. I would call the city. However, I don't think will really come from that.

Old 01-08-2015, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsonga View Post
I call bs. The cop was just looking for drunk folks. He gave you a bs reason because he knew that there was no way to give you a ticket for that. I would call the city. However, I don't think will really come from that.
I called the police and the shift sergeant told my wife the same thing. Guess I'll never spend my money in that town again.

Old 01-08-2015, 09:30 AM

477 posts, read 594,152 times
Quote:
I called the police and the shift sergeant told my wife the same thing. Guess I'll never spend my money in that town again.
I spent 28 years there. You're not missing anything.

Old 01-08-2015, 01:28 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,504,544 times
From what I understand, unless posted otherwise, U-turns are legal under state law which supersedes local law.

Douglasville Police did not give you a ticket because the ticket likely would not have been legal under state law.

Like ericsonga said, Douglasville Police were most likely looking for drunk drivers to arrest and gave a bs reason to pull you over. It was Christmas night so DPD was most likely looking for drunk drivers to lock up.

Douglasville Police have a reputation for being a little overzealous at times in their pursuit of revenue from traffic violations and arrests....A reputation for overzealousness which the Douglasville Police Department openly takes much pride in.

There's a McDonald's just south of I-20 at the corner of Bill Arp Road (Georgia Highway 5) and Douglas Boulevard where Douglasville Police love to stage multiple patrol cars every night to sit and catch motorists making traffic violations (especially motorists making U-turns and drunk drivers coming from the Taco Mac on Douglas Blvd late at night).

Douglasville Police are also really active around the intersection of Chapel Hill Road and Douglas Boulevard/Timber Ridge Drive because there are many service establishments where they can hangout while catching traffic violators (including a QuikTrip gas station/convenience store and a Waffle House where DPD can hangout 24 hours, a McDonald's and an Arby's).

GA 5 Bill Arp Road/Douglas Boulevard and Chapel Hill Road/Douglas Boulevard are two intersections that are major money makers for the Douglasville Police Department and the City of Douglasville.

DPD *LOVES* those two intersections because the adjacent I-20 interchanges on GA 5 Bill Arp and Chapel Hill roads feed lots of unsuspecting out-of-town and out-of-state motorists into those intersections that they can prey on and collect much additional revenue from for the department and the city.

Last edited by Born 2 Roll; 01-08-2015 at 01:56 PM..

Old 01-08-2015, 01:50 PM

The officer was so pissed because he had nothing on me. I explained I learned that u turns are permitted at all intersections unless at a hill or a sign visible. What's odd is he never asked me for insurance and registration, only DL.

Old 01-08-2015, 01:59 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,504,544 times
Quote:
The officer was so pissed because he had nothing on me. I explained I learned that u turns are permitted at all intersections unless at a hill or a sign visible. What's odd is he never asked me for insurance and registration, only DL.
You were and are right. It was just another case of Douglasville PD being Douglasville PD.

Old 01-09-2015, 07:35 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,486,703 times
Nope, it is Douglasville being Douglasville. They are $2 million deficit in their municipal budget, so you can see why the PD is "thirsty". I just wouldn't waste my time there if I were you. I know that nothing will ever come of your complaint.

Last edited by jero23; 01-09-2015 at 08:19 AM..

Old 01-09-2015, 07:49 AM

4,586 posts, read 7,711,684 times
Quote:
What's odd is he never asked me for insurance and registration, only DL.

They don't have too. New database tells them as soon as your tag is run through the system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: