Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 11:56 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,139,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstreets6 View Post
Mountains are part of skyline though. I'll give ATL top 15 but not top five.

Chicago [vimeo]109354891[/vimeo]
[vimeo]109354891[/vimeo]
Cityscape Chicago II on Vimeo

NYC
Seattle
Las Vegas
Philly
Pittsburgh
LA
San Fran
Dallas

All rank higher than ATL.
Mountains are only apart of the skyline if they're like within 5 miles away from the central city. Mt. Rainier can only be seen from certain angles and certain hills so I don't count it part of it's skyline. Seattle still has a nice skyline though.

Las Vegas's skyline isn't great at all....it's literally on one street and it's downtown skyline sucks.

Pittsburgh is alright, but I don't think it's as grandeur as Atlanta's at all.

San Francisco has density in it's skyline, but it's tabletop like skyline isn't very aesthetically pleasing to the eye.

Lol at LA. Really boring skyline and that's coming from someone who used to live there. Atlanta's is far more interesting to look at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 05:32 AM

605 posts, read 805,096 times
That was incredibly beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing!

Old 01-16-2015, 06:00 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,963,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaIsHot View Post
Thanks for explaining which building but I still don't know what the orange/green flashing light was and why the city hall would be lit up green and orange. Starts at 3:09. There was also a purple light flashing to the right of that on top of a building... I'm OCD, forgive me. LOL

(I think the purple light seemingly flashing to the right of the city hall might be just the tip of the Symphony Tower showing.)
I thought it was red and green....just like the top of the crowns on 191 Peachtree. They do it when Christmas is approaching. The rest of the year they seem to leave it as either red or blue for both buildings.

Old 01-16-2015, 06:18 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,236,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Mountains are only apart of the skyline if they're like within 5 miles away from the central city. Mt. Rainier can only be seen from certain angles and certain hills so I don't count it part of it's skyline. Seattle still has a nice skyline though.

Las Vegas's skyline isn't great at all....it's literally on one street and it's downtown skyline sucks.

San Francisco has density in it's skyline, but it's tabletop like skyline isn't very aesthetically pleasing to the eye.

Lol at LA. Really boring skyline and that's coming from someone who used to live there. Atlanta's is far more interesting to look at.
We're getting sidetracked by skyline rankings, but I definitely agree with you about LA and Las Vegas. The Vegas skyline is boring, whether or not you take into account the dry mountains in the distance, and for a mega city LA's skyline is very lackluster.

Pittsburgh's skyline is nice, but fairly small. I really like Philly's skyline and the mix of modern and classic skyscrapers.

All in all, there are two skylines that clearly stand out in the U.S. - NYC and Chicago, and after those two you can make a case that Atlanta is right in the mix of "honorable mention" skylines.

Old 01-17-2015, 03:01 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,135,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Las Vegas's skyline isn't great at all....it's literally on one street and it's downtown skyline sucks
The strip is pretty amazing to look at at night.

Quote:
Pittsburgh meets Atlanta's supposed grandeur easily. The density and the rivers are impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryhmTa6NHGE

Quote:
You can't be serious. SF wipes Atlanta out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGiDy_R5mlU

Old 01-17-2015, 04:25 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,139,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
The strip is pretty amazing to look at at night.

Pittsburgh meets Atlanta's supposed grandeur easily. The density and the rivers are impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryhmTa6NHGE

You can't be serious. SF wipes Atlanta out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGiDy_R5mlU
Pittsburgh skyline is too small...it's aesthetically pleasing to look at nice, but it's small. Atlanta's skyline runs circles around it as far as massiveness. It takes roughly a minute to pass by the entire Pittsburgh skyline. It took me 5 minutes last night with a relatively traffic free time to drive from the North end of Midtown to the I-20(southern end of Downtown). That alone shows you the massiveness of Atlanta's central skyline which feels gigantic from the freeway. Most downtowns in the country only take you around 1 minute to fully pass both end of the skyline. It doesn't help when Atlanta is building 7-8 highrise projects in the Midtown core alone every year while Pittsburgh remains relatively stagnant so Atlanta continue to leave the city behind in the skyline department.

Why are you linking a city guide when we're discussing SKYLINES? SF's skyline has density, but it's fairly plain to look at...no spires, no supertalls, the skyline itself doesn't have peaks and valleys which makes it boring.

My top skylines in the country are NYC, Chicago, Philadelphia, Seattle, Atlanta, Dallas, and Miami. This is in no order also.

Old 01-17-2015, 04:45 PM

348 posts, read 434,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstreets6 View Post
Mountains are part of skyline though. I'll give ATL top 15 but not top five.

Chicago [vimeo]109354891[/vimeo]
[vimeo]109354891[/vimeo]
Cityscape Chicago II on Vimeo

NYC
Seattle
Las Vegas
Philly
Pittsburgh
LA
San Fran
Dallas

All rank higher than ATL.

Wow! Some I agree with but most no.

ATL a top 15?! Buckhead's skyline alone is better than Las Vegas, Philly, Pittsburgh, LA, and Dallas!!

Top 5 are:

1. NYC
2. Chicago
3. ATLANTA
4. Miami
5. Seattle

Also, skylines are for buildings. Mountians can be a "natural" skyline but aren't part of a city's skyline. In some cases the mountains make for an awesome addition to the skyline but we never here of anyone saying "Blue Ridge, Georgia sure has a nice skyline."

Old 01-17-2015, 07:09 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,378,186 times
Atlanta wipes the floor with SF as far as buildings go in my opinion... The only interesting building in SF that I see is the Pyramid tower... The rest are blasé. In terms of natural setting, SF is gorgeous. The hills, the water, and the bay all make it a splendid city. Atlanta has hills also, but doesn't have a waterfront. "Best" skyline depends on personal opinions, features examined, building styles, number of buildings, and whether natural setting/beauty is included. There is NO "right" or "wrong" answer. I personally love Atlanta's skyline, but I like others better. I tend to prefer dramatic natural settings to buildings only, so I would rank Pittsburgh and Seattle higher than Atlanta even though both are smaller in terms of buildings. You'll never be able to truthfully claim any is "better" than the other because it's subjective.

Personally, I think Atlanta's looks best at night. I also like Atlanta's better than Chicago's due to Atlanta having more spired tops. I've never "liked" the Sears/Willis tower either... I'd much rather look at the Sovereign in Buckhead than the Willis tower... All MY opinions of course.

Old 01-17-2015, 07:40 PM

364 posts, read 418,413 times
I am pretty sure that is Peachtree center that is flashing different colors. They have added some lights on them that can shift in color.

Old 01-17-2015, 11:09 PM

25 posts, read 48,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfarley30 View Post
Wow! Some I agree with but most no.

ATL a top 15?! Buckhead's skyline alone is better than Las Vegas, Philly, Pittsburgh, LA, and Dallas!!

Top 5 are:

1. NYC
2. Chicago
3. ATLANTA
4. Miami
5. Seattle

Also, skylines are for buildings. Mountians can be a "natural" skyline but aren't part of a city's skyline. In some cases the mountains make for an awesome addition to the skyline but we never here of anyone saying "Blue Ridge, Georgia sure has a nice skyline."
LOL you think Buckhead alone is better than Philly? I know everybody has their own opinion but wow that's a strange one..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta