Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 01:07 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,784,784 times

Advertisements

I just explored your link a little bit. I found one big difference between the two companies. Colliers is a bigger company. They track buildings 10,000 sq ft and up. RB tracks 50,000 sq ft+ and it made a rather sizable difference market wide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 02:15 PM

8,487 posts, read 15,014,371 times
I'm a little late to the party, but I do believe this is an apt comparison. The similarities already exist where the majority of the towers built in Atlanta the last 30 years have been residential. With the demand being so high for apartments in places like Midtown or Buckhead where this isn't that much buildable land comparatively speaking, the skyline will totally changed by decade's end and be more "Vancouver-esque" in nature.

Interestingly, this is the trend in Asia and South America for years now and it has really only caught steam in Vancouver and Miami here in North America. We've been in that direction here for about 15 years now, and it's only starting to become visually apparent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Its nothing like Vancouver. Vancouver is dense like NYC, just smaller and lower.
LOL! Vancouver is NOTHING like NYC in built form, and especially when it comes to density. The average population density in Vancouver is 12,000 ppsm. While that is dense, NYC's average density is 27,000 ppsm with the density in Manhattan by itself at 70,000 ppsm. The only real comparison you could make is a general one about how Downtown Vancouver is situated on a narrow peninsula similar to Manhattan.

Old 01-27-2015, 02:45 PM

280 posts, read 390,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
I just explored your link a little bit. I found one big difference between the two companies. Colliers is a bigger company. They track buildings 10,000 sq ft and up. RB tracks 50,000 sq ft+ and it made a rather sizable difference market wide.
Yes, there is a much more office space in the Colliers report, suggesting that there is a lot 10,000-50,000 sq ft office space in greater Atlanta.

Now we can answer the question of how much of Atlanta's commercial (not medical or government) office space is in the part that makes up the skyline. The two companies divide the suburban markets very differently, but seem to have the same definition of Downtown, Midtown and Buckhead. Thus the 3 areas that make up the skyline have 36% office space in RB and 32% in Colliers: About 1/3 of all office space is in the areas contributing to the skyline.

The numbers are here:

http://www.richardbowers.com/wp-cont...rketReport.pdf

http://www.colliers.com/-/media/File...rketReport.pdf

Old 02-01-2015, 03:00 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,580,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I'm talking about neighborhoods like this: https://www.google.com/maps/@49.2856...QJ08jZy47A!2e0

A good portion of the western peninsula is like this. The Eastern side is more urban as it's closer to the downtown core. The neighborhood is high density, but it doesn't have that old school urban feeling where the buildings are 8 feet from the street.
The West End is an older part of the city. Residential towers were built mainly in the 1960's and 70's.
All before " Vancouverism " existed.

The West End used to be mainly houses, many mansions. These slowly turned into rooming houses after the wealthy moved to the neighbourhood of Shaughnessy.
These in turn were torn down to build rental apartment blocks. Condo's as many know were not a US or Canadian thing back in the day.

The spacing in some cases has to do with the way underground parking was built. Most of it underground beside a building, covered by grass and gardens on top. Like this.

http://goo.gl/7TLgbB

The low rise, 3 storey walk-ups, usually had parking in the back, under the structure and not underground.

http://goo.gl/LzkiO7

The new neighbourhoods of Coal Harbour and Yaletown are the ones that I would classify as the new Vancouverism.
It's more than just density, but SLIM towers that keep corridor views. Businesses on the ground floors in almost cases where the building is on a shopping street. Small parks in relation to the density proposed etc.

Most of the new towers have townhouses connected to the tower on either side. Such as this.

http://goo.gl/MNZSMD

The street in that link isn't a shopping street so no stores. However around the corner, the same building is on a shopping street, Davie. Hence stores and business. A homeopathic doctors office, a corner store, a jewelry store and a coffee shop.

http://goo.gl/kKvKME

This buildings location is a good example of Vancouverism, especially since it's across from a newly created park.

http://goo.gl/LkVRe2

Old 02-01-2015, 03:43 PM

16,712 posts, read 29,560,858 times
Vancouverism
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vancouverism

Old 02-01-2015, 08:43 PM

32,032 posts, read 36,829,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
This buildings location is a good example of Vancouverism, especially since it's across from a newly created park.

http://goo.gl/LkVRe2
Thanks for that summary. I haven't been to Vancouver since the late 90s and it sure is looking good.

Old 02-06-2015, 03:24 AM

103 posts, read 129,045 times
If Atlanta can import the the type of women Vancouver has then being like Vancouver will not be a bad thing. lol Van has some of the most beautiful women in North America. lol On a serious note it's amazing to see how far this city has come. Seems like every day I hear something new about ATL and I do not even live there right now. The real question is can ATL over take New York or Chicago one day because its growing pretty fast? I think in a couple years it might.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:52 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,140,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellevueman240 View Post
If Atlanta can import the the type of women Vancouver has then being like Vancouver will not be a bad thing. lol Van has some of the most beautiful women in North America. lol On a serious note it's amazing to see how far this city has come. Seems like every day I hear something new about ATL and I do not even live there right now. The real question is can ATL over take New York or Chicago one day because its growing pretty fast? I think in a couple years it might.
In a couple of years? LOL Atlanta has a very long way to go to even be on par with Chicago or New York.

Old 02-06-2015, 05:48 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,988,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellevueman240 View Post
Have you lost your head? Atlanta will NEVER be on par or even REMOTELY close to New York City or Chicago. Not only is it half the size of Chicago and 1/4 the size of New York, Atlanta does not do the same sort of construction that the older northern cities did, Atlanta lacks the density to make such an impressive skyline.

Old 02-06-2015, 05:53 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,951,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Have you lost your head? Atlanta will NEVER be on par or even REMOTELY close to New York City or Chicago. Not only is it half the size of Chicago and 1/4 the size of New York, Atlanta does not do the same sort of construction that the older northern cities did, Atlanta lacks the density to make such an impressive skyline.
Of course not. And although we don't do the same sort of construction the older northern cities do, we don't really want that here either for the most part.

As far as impressive skylines go, we already have one of the most impressive skylines out there - density or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta